"io-library error"

Leslie Katz-2
I am using Fedora Core 3, with kernel version
2.6.11-1.35, and gphoto2 v 2.1.5.

Following is an example of gphoto2's output when I use
"auto-detect":

"Model                         Port
Argus DC-1510                  usb:
Argus DC-1510                  usb:002,005".

When I first used the camera, I was able to download
pictures from it to my computer merely by using: "$
gphoto2 -P".

However, that's recently stopped working, although I'm
not conscious of having changed anything myself.

Now, when I use "gphoto2 -P", I get:

"*** Error ***
An error occurred in the io-library ('Error updating
the port settings'): Could not set config 0/1
(Protocol error)
*** Error (-37: 'Error updating the port settings')
***".

In an attempt to figure out what's gone wrong, I've
been looking at the gphoto2 manual, section 4.3.2. It
says: "You must have the files 'devices' and 'drivers'
in your /proc/bus/usb directory."

While I have the file 'devices' in my /proc/bus/usb
directory, I don't have the file 'drivers'.

The relevant bit of the file "/proc/bus/usb/devices"
is as follows:

"T:  Bus=02 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=01 Cnt=01 Dev#=  7
Spd=12  MxCh= 0
D:  Ver= 1.10 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=ff Prot=ff MxPS= 8
#Cfgs=  1
P:  Vendor=2770 ProdID=9120 Rev= 1.00
C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=80 MxPwr=500mA
I:  If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 3 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=ff Prot=ff
Driver=(none)
E:  Ad=81(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS=  64 Ivl=0ms
E:  Ad=02(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS=  64 Ivl=0ms
E:  Ad=83(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS=   1 Ivl=3ms".

(I am conscious that that output includes the phrase:
"Driver=(none)".)

Instead of having a file "drivers" in /proc/bus/usb, I
have five folders numbered from 001 to 005. Each such
folder has in it one or more files, their names also
consisting of numbers. For instance, folder 001 has in
it file 001. When I try to read that file, I get
nothing legible.

Section 4.3.2 of the manual says that if I don't have
both the "devices" and "drivers" files in
/proc/bus/usb, I should load my "USB driver (e.g. OHCI
or UHCI)" and mount the USB filesystem.

However, when I use "lsmod", I get the following:

"uhci_hcd              33497  0
ehci_hcd               39501  0".

Further, when I use "mount", I get the following:

"usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)".

At the same time, I thought that gphoto2 used the
"sq905" driver for my camera, but I don't find any
reference to that in "lsmod" and am not sure that I
should try to load it by using "modprobe".

Having done what I've mentioned above, I've exhausted
my limited abilities to figure out what's wrong.

I'd appreciate very much being told how I should now proceed.

Re: "io-library error"

Leslie Katz-2
I write this in an attempt to add additional
information to my post of a few hours ago.

Further searching has led me to think that my problem
is not one caused by gphoto2.

I did some further searching on my own system and came
to the conclusion that the error about which I was
seeking assistance had been caused by the fact that,
as was said in /var/log/messages, "interface 0 claimed
while 'gphoto2' sets config #1".

By googling, I found that, while many people had been
confronted with that message involving gphoto2, many
others had been confronted with a similar message
regarding other programs. I found at least nine other
such programs about which people were seeking
assistance regarding equivalent messages.

As I now understand it, the message is conveying that
a particular interface has already been claimed by
another program at the time when a particular program
(like gphoto2) seeks to claim it.

My question now is how I go about finding what that
other program is.

If anyone on this list is able and willing to answer
that question for me, I'd be very grateful. In any
event, I'll now try to find the answer independently.

Apologies for my earlier post, which I now think was
off the mark.

--- Leslie Katz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

> /proc/bus/usb, I should load my "USB driver (e.g.
> OHCI
> or UHCI)" and mount the USB filesystem.
>
> However, when I use "lsmod", I get the following:
>
> "uhci_hcd              33497  0
> ehci_hcd               39501  0".
>
> Further, when I use "mount", I get the following:
>
> "usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)".
>
> At the same time, I thought that gphoto2 used the
> "sq905" driver for my camera, but I don't find any
> reference to that in "lsmod" and am not sure that I
> should try to load it by using "modprobe".
>
> Having done what I've mentioned above, I've
> exhausted
> my limited abilities to figure out what's wrong.
>
> I'd appreciate very much being told how I should now
> proceed.

> The New Yahoo! Movies: Check out the Latest
> Trailers, Premiere Photos and full Actor Database.

Re: Re: "io-library error"

Marcus Meissner
> is not one caused by gphoto2.
>
> I did some further searching on my own system and came
> to the conclusion that the error about which I was
> seeking assistance had been caused by the fact that,
> as was said in /var/log/messages, "interface 0 claimed
> while 'gphoto2' sets config #1".
>
> By googling, I found that, while many people had been
> confronted with that message involving gphoto2, many
> others had been confronted with a similar message
> regarding other programs. I found at least nine other
> such programs about which people were seeking
> assistance regarding equivalent messages.
>
> As I now understand it, the message is conveying that
> a particular interface has already been claimed by
> another program at the time when a particular program
> (like gphoto2) seeks to claim it.
>
> My question now is how I go about finding what that
> other program is.
>
> If anyone on this list is able and willing to answer
> that question for me, I'd be very grateful. In any
> event, I'll now try to find the answer independently.

It is libgphoto2 itself.

This specific bug has been fixed for libgphoto2 2.1.6,
so just upgrade.

Re: Re: "io-library error"

Leslie Katz-2

--- Marcus Meissner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > is not one caused by gphoto2.
> >
> > I did some further searching on my own system and
> came
> > to the conclusion that the error about which I was
> > seeking assistance had been caused by the fact
> that,
> > as was said in /var/log/messages, "interface 0
> claimed
> > while 'gphoto2' sets config #1".
> >
> > By googling, I found that, while many people had
> been
> > confronted with that message involving gphoto2,
> many
> > others had been confronted with a similar message
> > regarding other programs. I found at least nine
> other
> > such programs about which people were seeking
> > assistance regarding equivalent messages.
> >
> > As I now understand it, the message is conveying
> that
> > a particular interface has already been claimed by
> > another program at the time when a particular
> program
> > (like gphoto2) seeks to claim it.
> >
> > My question now is how I go about finding what
> that
> > other program is.
> >
> > If anyone on this list is able and willing to
> answer
> > that question for me, I'd be very grateful. In any
> > event, I'll now try to find the answer
> independently.
>
> It is libgphoto2 itself.
>
> This specific bug has been fixed for libgphoto2
> 2.1.6,
> so just upgrade.
>
> Ciao, Marcus

Marcus, thank you very much for that information.

I have downloaded libgphoto2 v 2.1.6 and am in the
process of trying to upgrade to it. Unfortunately, I
could find no RPM of it for Fedora Core 3 and so am
forced to try to compile it from source, something to
which I'm very new.

I have two questions about the process.

First, is it sufficient to upgrade libgphoto2 or must
gphoto2 also be upgraded?

Secondly, having run "configure", I get at the end of
the output a report about the configuration of
libgphoto2_port and of libgphoto2. As to the first,
I'm told I don't have libusb and, as to the second,
I'm told I don't have libexif.

However, I do have installed packages with those names
and have found in /usr/lib the following four files
contained in those two packages: libusb-0.1.so.4;
libusb-0.1.so.4.4.0; libexif.so.9; and
libexif.so.9.1.2.

The INSTALL document suggests that one's desired
libraries may not have been detected correctly when
the configure script ran and I take it that that's
what's happened to me. An example is given: "you might
have to add the path where libusb-config resides to
your PATH before running configure".

I apologise, but I'm too ignorant to understand what
I'm supposed to do now and the example makes me more
confused, since I can't find on my system any file
called "libusb-config".

If you could spell out what I'm supposed to do now to
get back on track for the compiling stage, I'd be very
grateful.

Best wishes,

Leslie

Re: Re: "io-library error"

Marcus Meissner
> Marcus, thank you very much for that information.
>
> I have downloaded libgphoto2 v 2.1.6 and am in the
> process of trying to upgrade to it. Unfortunately, I
> could find no RPM of it for Fedora Core 3 and so am
> forced to try to compile it from source, something to
> which I'm very new.
>
> I have two questions about the process.
>
> First, is it sufficient to upgrade libgphoto2 or must
> gphoto2 also be upgraded?
>
> Secondly, having run "configure", I get at the end of
> the output a report about the configuration of
> libgphoto2_port and of libgphoto2. As to the first,
> I'm told I don't have libusb and, as to the second,
> I'm told I don't have libexif.
>
> However, I do have installed packages with those names
> and have found in /usr/lib the following four files
> contained in those two packages: libusb-0.1.so.4;
> libusb-0.1.so.4.4.0; libexif.so.9; and
> libexif.so.9.1.2.
>
> The INSTALL document suggests that one's desired
> libraries may not have been detected correctly when
> the configure script ran and I take it that that's
> what's happened to me. An example is given: "you might
> have to add the path where libusb-config resides to
> your PATH before running configure".
>
> I apologise, but I'm too ignorant to understand what
> I'm supposed to do now and the example makes me more
> confused, since I can't find on my system any file
> called "libusb-config".
>
> If you could spell out what I'm supposed to do now to
> get back on track for the compiling stage, I'd be very
> grateful.

Install the libusb-devel or libusb-dev package from your
distributions CDs.

Re: Re: "io-library error"

Leslie Katz-2
Hello again, Marcus.

I have now upgraded to gphoto2 v 2.1.6, as you
suggested. Here's part of the output when I now run
gphoto2 -v:

"This version of gphoto2 is using the following
software versions and options:
gphoto2           2.1.6        gcc, popt, exif, no
cdk, no aa, no jpeg, no readline
libgphoto2        2.1.6        gcc, EXIF, no ltdl,
/proc/meminfo
libgphoto2_port   0.5.1        gcc, USB, serial
baudboy locking, no ltdl"

However, upgrading has not improved my situation. When
I run the command gphoto2 -P, I still get the same
message as I had begun lately to get when using v
2.1.5, the one about an error updating the port
settings.

The error message refers to sending debugging messages
to the list. I would like to do that, if I may, but
don't know how. The message suggests running gphoto2
as follows: env LANG=C gphoto2 --debug -P. I tried to
send that output to a file, but the file created
contained only the last part of an extensive output.

Is there somewhere else on my system where the output
is automatically sent? If so, I haven't been able to
find it.

Thank you,

Leslie