long term time lapse application

Rusen Oktem
Hi,

I am using gphoto2 package for a research project where I capture images at 20 second intervals during the day and at 5 minute intervals during the night. My setup has been running for five months now with a Sony A5100 camera. The capturing process started to occasionally (4-5 times a day) stall, most probably due to extensive use of the camera I believe. I kill the process when it stalls and restart all over, I loose 2-3 minutes of data at each stalling. I know this is not directly related to gphoto2 , but I would appreciate if anyone who has an experience with such long term usage can recommend me the most reliable camera with full size (or close) sensor.

Thanks,
Rusen

Re: long term time lapse application

paalge
Hi

We are using gphoto2 together with a python library (https://github.com/paalge/pysces-asi) for all-sky imaging of aurora (kho.unis.no) which runs for a full dark season (4 months) 24/7 pictures every 30 s. This has been going on since 2008 on cameras, Nikon D80, Nikon D7000 and lastly the Sony A7s. We have not had any stability porblems with gphoto2. What happend with the D80 and the D7000 was that we broke the shutters. The Sony a7s with its silent mode has worked for more than a season.

Cheers

Pål

On 27 October 2016 at 00:42, Rusen Oktem <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I am using gphoto2 package for a research project where I capture images at 20 second intervals during the day and at 5 minute intervals during the night. My setup has been running for five months now with a Sony A5100 camera. The capturing process started to occasionally (4-5 times a day) stall, most probably due to extensive use of the camera I believe. I kill the process when it stalls and restart all over, I loose 2-3 minutes of data at each stalling. I know this is not directly related to gphoto2 , but I would appreciate if anyone who has an experience with such long term usage can recommend me the most reliable camera with full size (or close) sensor.

Thanks,
Rusen

Re: long term time lapse application

Rusen Oktem
Hi Pål,

Thanks for your reply, that is very valuable information for me. I would like to contact you for more questions regarding your application, I hope you won’t mind.

Best,
Rusen