libgphoto2 freezes occasionally

Tom Sanders
Hi,

I am using gphoto2 with Python-gphoto2 on Raspberry Pi to control a Sony A5000 camera. If I shoot
a series of photos, somewhere between 5 and 50 shots, gphoto2 freezes. With another camera A6000)
or an other Raspberry this happens too. Interval between shots is 5 seconds.

Python uses 15% cpu time (peak), the corresponding kernel thread 14% cpu (according to TOP)

If I enable logging, the problem disappears and I can take hundreds of shots without any problem!
The only warning in the log is:

"camera_sony_capture [library.c:3911] no object found during event polling. try the 0xffffc001
object id"

This does not seem to have any influence.

With logging, Python cpu time has increased to 50% (peak), kernel thread still uses 14%.

Does anyone know what could be happening here? Leaving the logging on is not really a problem, but
does not feel as a stable solution.

Cheers,
Tom

Re: libgphoto2 freezes occasionally

Marcus Meissner
On Wed, Jun 28, 2017 at 01:08:29PM +0200, Tom Sanders wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am using gphoto2 with Python-gphoto2 on Raspberry Pi to control a Sony A5000 camera. If I shoot
> a series of photos, somewhere between 5 and 50 shots, gphoto2 freezes. With another camera A6000)
> or an other Raspberry this happens too. Interval between shots is 5 seconds.
>
> Python uses 15% cpu time (peak), the corresponding kernel thread 14% cpu (according to TOP)
>
> If I enable logging, the problem disappears and I can take hundreds of shots without any problem!
> The only warning in the log is:
>
> "camera_sony_capture [library.c:3911] no object found during event polling. try the 0xffffc001
> object id"
>
> This does not seem to have any influence.
>
> With logging, Python cpu time has increased to 50% (peak), kernel thread still uses 14%.
>
> Does anyone know what could be happening here? Leaving the logging on is not really a problem, but
> does not feel as a stable solution.

We might be missing the event for object added, and the slight change of timing might make it work/change
behaviour.

Which libgphoto2 version is in use, as this has been improvede in current versions?