how to select a camera univocally

Matteo Perini
Hi all,

I need to use more than one camera at the  same time.

As wrote in the object, I need to know which camera is connected at
which usb port.

Well, with the command "gphoto2 --auto-detect" I can see that but if I
have two or more identical cameras how can I detect which one is
connected where?

For example if I can't follow the physical USB cables: are there a way
to detect a camera univocally?

I thought something like an ID number or a MAC address.

With "lsusb" I found this:

   idVendor           0x04b0 Nikon Corp.
   idProduct          0x0428 D7000
   bcdDevice            1.03
   iManufacturer           1 NIKON
   iProduct                2 NIKON DSC D7000
   iSerial                 3 000006421260

The iSerial is what I'm searching ( I think):  are there a way to find
that in gphoto2?

Thanks in advance for the attention.

M.

Re: how to select a camera univocally

Marcus Meissner
On Sat, Oct 22, 2016 at 11:44:13AM +0200, Matteo Perini wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I need to use more than one camera at the  same time.
>
> As wrote in the object, I need to know which camera is connected at
> which usb port.
>
> Well, with the command "gphoto2 --auto-detect" I can see that but if I
> have two or more identical cameras how can I detect which one is
> connected where?
>
> For example if I can't follow the physical USB cables: are there a way
> to detect a camera univocally?
>
> I thought something like an ID number or a MAC address.
>
> With "lsusb" I found this:
>
>    idVendor           0x04b0 Nikon Corp.
>    idProduct          0x0428 D7000
>    bcdDevice            1.03
>    iManufacturer           1 NIKON
>    iProduct                2 NIKON DSC D7000
>    iSerial                 3 000006421260
>
> The iSerial is what I'm searching ( I think):  are there a way to find
> that in gphoto2?

For a number of cameras you can query the serial number that it reports over
PTP. ( gphoto2 --get-config serial )

Note that 2.5.10 has a bug where it does not report it, fixed in the next release 2.5.11.

Some cameras might be also able to set identifiable strings via "owner" or
"copyright" variables that you can query.

So in that case you would use --auto-detect to find the ports and
then iterate over the ports and query the variables to associate port / camera.

Il 23/10/2016 18:17, Marcus Meissner ha scritto:

> For a number of cameras you can query the serial number that it reports over
> PTP. ( gphoto2 --get-config serial )
>
> Note that 2.5.10 has a bug where it does not report it, fixed in the next release 2.5.11.
>
> Some cameras might be also able to set identifiable strings via "owner" or
> "copyright" variables that you can query.
>
> So in that case you would use --auto-detect to find the ports and
> then iterate over the ports and query the variables to associate port / camera.
Thank you,
I think that this will be the perfect solutions for me.
I will try tomorrow!
Thanks again
M.