gphoto2 capture images failed with canon ps on raspberry pi 2

gphoto2 capture images failed with canon ps on raspberry pi 2

Gong
Hi everyone,

I have to ask for your help since this problem confused me for quite a few days!

I have worked with gphoto2 for a while in Ubuntu, it does a brilliant job controlling my canon point&shoot camera, capturing images and downloading them.

Then I shift to raspberry pi 2 to test it. The raspberry pi 2 was installed with raspbian Jessie the newest version, and I installed gphoto2 with the gphoto2-updater from this link: https://github.com/gonzalo/gphoto2-updater which is quite handy since it is supposed to cover all the modules. After all these I tried with "gphoto2 --auto-detect", worked flawlessly. Then "gphoto2 --capture-image"   ERROR: could not capture image. ***Error (-6: 'unsupported operation')***

But when I plug the camera back into my PC (with Ubuntu), there's no problem at all on capturing images.

Any ideas? gphoto2 has a version of 2.5.9, so as libgphoto2...

I will appreciate all kinds of suggestions.

Best regards,
Elaine

Re: gphoto2 capture images failed with canon ps on raspberry pi 2

Marcus Meissner
On Tue, Mar 01, 2016 at 04:18:34PM +0000, Gong wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I have to ask for your help since this problem confused me for quite a few
> days!
>
> I have worked with gphoto2 for a while in Ubuntu, it does a brilliant job
> controlling my canon point&shoot camera, capturing images and downloading
> them.
>
> Then I shift to raspberry pi 2 to test it. The raspberry pi 2 was installed
> with raspbian Jessie the newest version, and I installed gphoto2 with the
> gphoto2-updater from this link: https://github.com/gonzalo/gphoto2-updater
> which is quite handy since it is supposed to cover all the modules. After
> all these I tried with "gphoto2 --auto-detect", worked flawlessly. Then
> "gphoto2 --capture-image"   ERROR: could not capture image. ***Error (-6:
> 'unsupported operation')***
>
> But when I plug the camera back into my PC (with Ubuntu), there's no
> problem at all on capturing images.
>
> Any ideas? gphoto2 has a version of 2.5.9, so as libgphoto2...
>
> I will appreciate all kinds of suggestions.

What camera is auto-detected on both sides? Is the name the same?

Re: gphoto2 capture images failed with canon ps on raspberry pi 2

Gong
Hi Marcus,

Thanks for quick reply!
Yes, they're the same, both "USB PTP Class Camera".

Elaine

On 1 March 2016 at 16:29, Marcus Meissner <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, Mar 01, 2016 at 04:18:34PM +0000, Gong wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have to ask for your help since this problem confused me for quite a few
> days!
>
> I have worked with gphoto2 for a while in Ubuntu, it does a brilliant job
> controlling my canon point&shoot camera, capturing images and downloading
> them.
>
> Then I shift to raspberry pi 2 to test it. The raspberry pi 2 was installed
> with raspbian Jessie the newest version, and I installed gphoto2 with the
> gphoto2-updater from this link: https://github.com/gonzalo/gphoto2-updater
> which is quite handy since it is supposed to cover all the modules. After
> all these I tried with "gphoto2 --auto-detect", worked flawlessly. Then
> "gphoto2 --capture-image"   ERROR: could not capture image. ***Error (-6:
> 'unsupported operation')***
>
> But when I plug the camera back into my PC (with Ubuntu), there's no
> problem at all on capturing images.
>
> Any ideas? gphoto2 has a version of 2.5.9, so as libgphoto2...
>
> I will appreciate all kinds of suggestions.

What camera is auto-detected on both sides? Is the name the same?

Re: gphoto2 capture images failed with canon ps on raspberry pi 2

Gong
Hi Michael,

Thanks for your reply!
I've installed the newer version of libgphoto2, but same errors remain.
Did you have any similar problem before?

Cheers,
Elaine

On 1 March 2016 at 16:24, Michael <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

Marcus send me this answer: "Can you try a temporary snapshot http://www.lst.de/~mm/libgphoto2-2.5.9.1.tar.bz2"

This worked for me on my RasPi2 with Archlinux - and I had to build this one and gphoto2 from git on the Pi.

Regards

Am 01.03.2016 um 17:18 schrieb Gong:
[...]

this is weird ... what USB id does the camera have?

paste output of:
        lsusb

Also run and paste output of:
        gphoto2 --version

Ciao, Marcus

On Tue, Mar 01, 2016 at 05:22:02PM +0000, Gong wrote:

> Hi Marcus,
>
> Thanks for quick reply!
> Yes, they're the same, both "USB PTP Class Camera".
>
> Elaine
>

> On 1 March 2016 at 16:29, Marcus Meissner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Mar 01, 2016 at 04:18:34PM +0000, Gong wrote:
> > > Hi everyone,
> > >
> > > I have to ask for your help since this problem confused me for quite a
> > few
> > > days!
> > >
> > > I have worked with gphoto2 for a while in Ubuntu, it does a brilliant job
> > > controlling my canon point&shoot camera, capturing images and downloading
> > > them.
> > >
> > > Then I shift to raspberry pi 2 to test it. The raspberry pi 2 was
> > installed
> > > with raspbian Jessie the newest version, and I installed gphoto2 with the
> > > gphoto2-updater from this link:
> > https://github.com/gonzalo/gphoto2-updater
> > > which is quite handy since it is supposed to cover all the modules. After
> > > all these I tried with "gphoto2 --auto-detect", worked flawlessly. Then
> > > "gphoto2 --capture-image"   ERROR: could not capture image. ***Error (-6:
> > > 'unsupported operation')***
> > >
> > > But when I plug the camera back into my PC (with Ubuntu), there's no
> > > problem at all on capturing images.
> > >
> > > Any ideas? gphoto2 has a version of 2.5.9, so as libgphoto2...
> > >
> > > I will appreciate all kinds of suggestions.
> >
> > What camera is auto-detected on both sides? Is the name the same?
> >
> > Ciao, Marcus

Re: gphoto2 capture images failed with canon ps on raspberry pi 2

Gong
Hi Marcus,

Yes, it is very strange! Here are the results:

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ lsusb
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 046d:c016 Logitech, Inc. Optical Wheel Mouse
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 413c:2107 Dell Computer Corp.
Bus 001 Device 006: ID 04a9:32aa Canon, Inc.
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0424:ec00 Standard Microsystems Corp. SMSC9512/9514 Fast Ethernet Adapter
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0424:9514 Standard Microsystems Corp.

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ gphoto2 --auto-detect
Model                          Port
USB PTP Class Camera           usb:001,006

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ gphoto2 --version
gphoto2 2.5.9

Copyright (c) 2000-2015 Lutz Mueller and others

gphoto2 comes with NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. You may
redistribute copies of gphoto2 under the terms of the GNU General Public
License. For more information about these matters, see the files named COPYING.

This version of gphoto2 is using the following software versions and options:
gphoto2         2.5.9          gcc, popt(m), exif, no cdk, no aa, no jpeg, no readline
libgphoto2      2.5.9.1        all camlibs, gcc, ltdl, EXIF
libgphoto2_port 0.12.0         gcc, ltdl, USB, serial without locking

The first two look OK, and I updated the libgphoto2 to 2.5.9.1, no obvious difference regarding the gphoto2 --capture-image

*** Error ***
Sorry, your camera does not support generic capture
ERROR: Could not capture image.
ERROR: Could not capture.
*** Error (-6: 'Unsupported operation') ***

For debugging messages, please use the --debug option.
Debugging messages may help finding a solution to your problem.
If you intend to send any error or debug messages to the gphoto
developer mailing list <[hidden email]>, please run
gphoto2 as follows:

    env LANG=C gphoto2 --debug --debug-logfile=my-logfile.txt --capture-image

Please make sure there is sufficient quoting around the arguments.

Any clue?

Regards,
Elaine

On 2 March 2016 at 07:07, Marcus Meissner <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

this is weird ... what USB id does the camera have?

paste output of:
        lsusb

Also run and paste output of:
        gphoto2 --version

Ciao, Marcus

On Tue, Mar 01, 2016 at 05:22:02PM +0000, Gong wrote:
> Hi Marcus,
>
> Thanks for quick reply!
> Yes, they're the same, both "USB PTP Class Camera".
>
> Elaine
>

> On 1 March 2016 at 16:29, Marcus Meissner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Mar 01, 2016 at 04:18:34PM +0000, Gong wrote:
> > > Hi everyone,
> > >
> > > I have to ask for your help since this problem confused me for quite a
> > few
> > > days!
> > >
> > > I have worked with gphoto2 for a while in Ubuntu, it does a brilliant job
> > > controlling my canon point&shoot camera, capturing images and downloading
> > > them.
> > >
> > > Then I shift to raspberry pi 2 to test it. The raspberry pi 2 was
> > installed
> > > with raspbian Jessie the newest version, and I installed gphoto2 with the
> > > gphoto2-updater from this link:
> > https://github.com/gonzalo/gphoto2-updater
> > > which is quite handy since it is supposed to cover all the modules. After
> > > all these I tried with "gphoto2 --auto-detect", worked flawlessly. Then
> > > "gphoto2 --capture-image"   ERROR: could not capture image. ***Error (-6:
> > > 'unsupported operation')***
> > >
> > > But when I plug the camera back into my PC (with Ubuntu), there's no
> > > problem at all on capturing images.
> > >
> > > Any ideas? gphoto2 has a version of 2.5.9, so as libgphoto2...
> > >
> > > I will appreciate all kinds of suggestions.
> >
> > What camera is auto-detected on both sides? Is the name the same?
> >
> > Ciao, Marcus

Re: gphoto2 capture images failed with canon ps on raspberry pi 2

The camera is so far unknown, which name does it have?

It seems a new one. All new Canon cameras do not support capture
(except the EOS series).

Ciao, Marcus
On Wed, Mar 02, 2016 at 11:13:11AM +0000, Gong wrote:

> [...]
> developer mailing list <[hidden email]>, please run
> gphoto2 as follows:
>
>     env LANG=C gphoto2 --debug --debug-logfile=my-logfile.txt
> --capture-image
>
> Please make sure there is sufficient quoting around the arguments.
>
> *Any clue?*
>

> Regards,
> Elaine
>

> On 2 March 2016 at 07:07, Marcus Meissner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > this is weird ... what USB id does the camera have?
> >

> > paste output of:
> >         lsusb
> >
> > Also run and paste output of:
> >         gphoto2 --version
> >
> > Ciao, Marcus
> >
> > On Tue, Mar 01, 2016 at 05:22:02PM +0000, Gong wrote:
> > > Hi Marcus,
> > >
> > > Thanks for quick reply!
> > > Yes, they're the same, both "USB PTP Class Camera".

Marcus Meissner,SUSE LINUX GmbH; Maxfeldstrasse 5; D-90409 Nuernberg; Zi. 3.1-33,+49-911-740 53-432,,serv=loki,mail=wotan,type=real <[hidden email]>

Re: gphoto2 capture images failed with canon ps on raspberry pi 2

"Andrés Farfán"
To get the camera model name using lsusb, you need to update usb.ids file.
The latest version can be obtained from http://www.linux-usb.org/usb.ids