[gphoto-features] [ gphoto-Feature Requests-3586809 ] Any chance for IEEE1394 PTP for old DCS 6** Kodaks?

[gphoto-features] [ gphoto-Feature Requests-3586809 ] Any chance for IEEE1394 PTP for old DCS 6** Kodaks?

SourceForge.net
Feature Requests item #3586809, was opened at 2012-11-13 13:38
Message generated for change (Comment added) made by willray
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=358874&aid=3586809&group_id=8874

not just the latest update.
Category: None
Group: None

Initial Comment:
Would love to dedicate one of these for continuous time-lapse capture, as it's quite a good sensor and takes good glass (and it'd kill me to put a current Nikon or Canon on that brutal duty).

I'd be willing to help hack the code, but I've never looked at this code base and I don't know where to start.

Date: 2012-11-14 08:54

Message:
I believe in fact it does show up as a mass-storage device over IEEE1394,
but I think the original Kodak software also allowed tethered shooting.  I
need to figure out where I put the stack of power supplies for these
bodies, but once I find one I'll do a bit more research and report back.

Thanks!

Comment By: Marcus Meissner (marcusmeissner)
Date: 2012-11-13 23:22

Message:
probably not as bad ...

do you have some traces how it communicates?

does the camera otherwise appear as SCSI/Mass Storage device on the
ieeee1394 bus?
If yes, it might be tunneling PTP over SCSI

Comment By: Hub Figuière (hfiguiere)
Date: 2012-11-13 14:35

Message:
First, you'd need a ieee1394 "port" driver (like we have for USB)

Then if it is PTP it shouldn't be too hard. If it is something else, then
good luck, reverse engineering will be needed.