[gphoto-devel] serial port and new CoolPix - A message to the authors of gphoto2

[gphoto-devel] serial port and new CoolPix - A message to the authors of gphoto2

zemanici
Dear friends,

thank you for the amazing program gphoto2 !
It enables us to run several cameras in our network of
landscape and meteorological photography http://hydronet.cz.

We would like to share with you, in this letter,
some of our experiences with your program
and suggestions for possible improvements.

Actually, your program seems to work also with other cameras
than officially stated !

We have Nikon CoolPix 4500, and a great a pleasant surprise
for us is that this camera works also with the
serial cabel ! (which is important for some
applications, as the cabel can be even 1 km long :-)

If we set the communication through the serial port
(and using suitable cable not employing the same pins as USB)
than many of the commands of gphoto2 work !

We think it would be very valuable if you could inspect
the program and possibly change a little bit so that some
other commmands would be available !

It seems probable then that it could be possible to communicate
also with several other cameras from the CoolPix family
which have the external switch (885, 4300)
We do not have these cameras at my disposal so we cannot
check it.
But I do test with 995 and this good. Working.
More details on what we found experimentally
are enclosed below: sorry, the responses of the camera are
copied as there were taken from czech variant of gphoto2

summary, list-files, image-capture, delete-all-files, get-all-files

all these commands seem to work but with error messages ("Chyba")
like

# gphoto2 --summary

** Chyba ***
Could not get register 51. Please contact
<[hidden email]>.

*** Chyba ***
Could not get register 40. Please contact
<[hidden email]>.

Shrnut? fotoapar?tu:
Camera Model: SX584
Manufacturer: NIKON CO.,LTD.
Camera ID: NIKON DIGITAL CAMERA
Serial Number: 000004001840
Software Rev.: v584-79
Frames Left: 72
Battery Life: 0
Memory Left: 126193664 bytes
Date: Tue Sep 20 11:00:18 2005

# gphoto2 --list-files
no files
V adres??i '/' nejsou ??dn? soubory.
V adres??i '/DCIM' nejsou ??dn? soubory.
V adres??i '/DCIM/100NIKON' nejsou ??dn? soubory.

it is interesting, that
some of directories visible under usb disk regime are not visible
here

!!!!!!!!!!!!!Most important issue!!!!!

# gphoto2 --capture-image

*** Chyba ***
Could not get register 51. Please contact
<[hidden email]>.

*** Chyba ***
Could not get register 4. Please contact
<[hidden email]>.

MESSAGE is CANNOT CAPTURE BUT the picture IS taken:
see below:

CHYBA: Nemohu zachyt?vat.
*** Chyba (-1: 'Neur?en? chyba') ***
cannot capture

Date: Tue Sep 20 11:00:18 2005

BUT SEE, NOW WE ASK

# gphoto2 --list-files
V adres??i '/' nejsou ??dn? soubory.
V adres??i '/DCIM' nejsou ??dn? soubory.
V adres??i '/DCIM/100NIKON' je 1 soubor?:
#1 DSCN3297.JPG rd 1009 KB image/jpeg

Wonderful!!!! The picture is there!

Further commands

# gphoto2 --config

*** Chyba ***
Could not get register 3. Please contact
<[hidden email]>.

*** Chyba ***
Could not get register 5. Please contact
<[hidden email]>.

*** Chyba ***
Could not get register 38. Please contact
<[hidden email]>.

But still it seems that it is possible
to perform some of the commands, in
spite of error messages

but NOT the zooming:
the program does not understand the resolution

Resolution &#9474; Value: 22 (unknown)

and similarly for other values

# gphoto2 --delete-all-files
vrba:~# gphoto2 --list-files
V adres??i '/' nejsou ??dn? soubory.

no files

V adres??i '/DCIM' nejsou ??dn? soubory.
V adres??i '/DCIM/100NIKON' je 3 soubor?:
#1 DSCN3297.JPG rd 1009 KB image/jpeg
#2 DSCN3298.JPG rd 1000 KB image/jpeg
#3 DSCN3299.JPG rd 1000 KB image/jpeg

Here you see that delete-all-files
works only when you determine the directory:

# gphoto2 --folder "/DCIM/100NIKON" --delete-all-files
# gphoto2 --list-files
V adres??i '/' nejsou ??dn? soubory.
V adres??i '/DCIM' nejsou ??dn? soubory.
V adres??i '/DCIM/100NIKON' nejsou ??dn? soubory.

no files
OK !

AND WHAT IS WONDERFUL:

Date: Tue Sep 20 11:22:34 2005

In contrary to OLympus NO new directories are formed
after creation of a picture
(this problem for Olympuses causes
that the camera blocks itself after
making 255 pictures
- a fatal problem for distant use!)

We would be very happy if you would consider
these observations and possibly
change your program so that gphoto2
would be fully applicable
to these Nikon cameras
with serial cable!

With our best regards

Josef Zeman

PS:
with CoolPix 995

# gphoto2 --summary

*** Chyba ***
Could not get register 51. Please contact
<[hidden email]>.

*** Chyba ***
Could not get register 40. Please contact
<[hidden email]>. Shrnutí fotoaparátu:
Camera Model: SX581
Manufacturer: NIKON CO.,LTD.
Camera ID: NIKON DIGITAL CAMERA