fastest way to download images from a camera

lee

fastest way to download images from a camera

lee
Hello gphoto list,

I am a new gphoto user.
It is really a great pice of software !

I am trying capture jpg images and transfer it as fast as possible to my computer.

My current setup is a
- Sony A7, no storage card inside
- Macbook Pro 10.10

I am using the following terminal commands:

killall PTPCamera

gphoto2 --auto-detect
gphoto2 --capture-image-and-download --no-keep --filename myfile28.jpg

It works great and stable for hours, but it takes 3 Seconds to get a file.
In debug mode i see, that many things happening every time i execute the capture command.

So my question is:
Is there a trick, to get the image faster without all these overhead ?

If i use the Software "Capture One" i am able to get the images in 1 second.

Also tested the Canon 7D, which has an USB3 port.
Capture One: 1 second
gphoto2: 3 seconds

Perhaps someone has a hint for me.

All the best,
Lee

Re: fastest way to download images from a camera

Tomas Alonso
El Viernes, 28 de octubre de 2016 17:26:58 lee escribió:

> Hello gphoto list,
>
> I am a new gphoto user.
> It is really a great pice of software !
>
> I am trying capture jpg images and transfer it as fast as possible to my
> computer.
>
> My current setup is a
> - Sony A7, no storage card inside
> - Macbook Pro 10.10
>
> I am using the following terminal commands:
>
> killall PTPCamera
>
> gphoto2 --auto-detect
> gphoto2 --capture-image-and-download --no-keep --filename myfile28.jpg
>
> It works great and stable for hours, but it takes 3 Seconds to get a file.
> In debug mode i see, that many things happening every time i execute the
> capture command. Loading drivers, getting list of images on my camera and
> so on.
>
> So my question is:
> Is there a trick, to get the image faster without all these overhead ?
>
> If i use the Software "Capture One" i am able to get the images in 1 second.
>
> Also tested the Canon 7D, which has an USB3 port.
> Capture One: 1 second
> gphoto2: 3 seconds
>
> Perhaps someone has a hint for me.
>
> All the best,
> Lee

Yes, perfectly possible, just try the shell environment, gphoto2 --shell, and
then trigger the capture from there. Must faster and adequate for long
sessions.

Regards,
Tomas.