capture image no longer works when certain error appears

capture image no longer works when certain error appears

Gong
Hi there,

Anyone ever met this problem?
with "gphoto2 --capture-image-and-download", image capture works in general on my canon PS camera, however the following error appear unpredictably:

gphoto2 --port=usb:001,004 --capture-image-and-downloadNew file is in location /DCIM/100___01/IMG_0075.JPG on the camera              ERROR: Could not get image.ERROR: Buggy libcanon.so?

From the camera side, I can see the camera lens stretches out on receiving the command, but no image is taken. Tried "gphoto2 --reset" doesn't solve the problem. But if I restart the camera manually it's working properly again.

So I'm wondering if there's a command in gphoto2 to restart the camera or any solutions especially for this error?

Many thanks,
Elaine

Re: capture image no longer works when certain error appears

Marcus Meissner-4
On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 02:58:09PM +0100, Gong wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> Anyone ever met this problem?
> with "gphoto2 --capture-image-and-download", image capture works in general
> on my canon PS camera, however the following error appear unpredictably:

> gphoto2 --port=usb:001,004 --capture-image-and-downloadNew file is in
> location /DCIM/100___01/IMG_0075.JPG on the camera              ERROR:
> Could not get image.ERROR: Buggy libcanon.so?
>
> >From the camera side, I can see the camera lens stretches out on receiving
> the command, but no image is taken. Tried "gphoto2 --reset" doesn't solve
> the problem. But if I restart the camera manually it's working properly
> again.
>
> So I'm wondering if there's a command in gphoto2 to restart the camera or
> any solutions especially for this error?

It is weird :(

Does the shutter audible release or does it not get focus?

A debug logfile would be nice.

Also that gphoto2 --reset is not fixing it is weird :/

Re: capture image no longer works when certain error appears

Gong
Hi Marcus,

Thanks for reply!
It doesn't get focus nor does the shutter go down.
I attached the logfile here.
I reckon gphoto2 --reset resets the USB, but the problem may lie in the camera. Therefore if I manually reboot the camera the problem is solved. Indeed, whenever the problem happens, the camera interface goes into Alt shortcuts menu, if I press Alt mode button to quit this menu, then capture image, it works again. I also attached an image file of the camera interface when the problem happens.
Since I need to capture images from multiple cameras simultaneously, it would be very annoying to manually reboot the cameras or to press the Alt mode button. And it seems ptpcam have camera reboot function, so I'm wondering if gphoto2 can also remotely restart the camera?

Many thanks,
Elaine

debugtest004 (322K) Download Attachment
20160512_161245[1].jpg (2M) Download Attachment

On Thu, May 12, 2016 at 05:45:10PM +0100, Gong wrote:

> Hi Marcus,
>
> Thanks for reply!
> It doesn't get focus nor does the shutter go down.
> I attached the logfile here.
> I reckon gphoto2 --reset resets the USB, but the problem may lie in the
> camera. Therefore if I manually reboot the camera the problem is solved.
> Indeed, whenever the problem happens, the camera interface goes into Alt
> shortcuts menu, if I press Alt mode button to quit this menu, then capture
> image, it works again. I also attached an image file of the camera
> interface when the problem happens.
> Since I need to capture images from multiple cameras simultaneously, it
> would be very annoying to manually reboot the cameras or to press the Alt
> mode button. And it seems ptpcam have camera reboot function, so I'm
> wondering if gphoto2 can also remotely restart the camera?

This is CHDK in use, so that is probably getting confused.

How often does it fail? It might be a timing issue somewhere :/

We could try emitting a chdk reboot, but this needs to be changed
in the code.

Re: capture image no longer works when certain error appears

Gong
Hi Marcus,

I'm currently connecting three cameras to a raspberry pi and in total 54 cameras are supposed to take photos at the same time. For a single camera, this happens rarely, but if all these cameras are shooting simultaneously, there will be at least one camera having this issue.

How often does it fail? It might be a timing issue somewhere :/
Timing issue? Can you please explain?

We could try emitting a chdk reboot, but this needs to be changed
in the code.
I'm currently using "ptpcam" to reboot, if there's a way to stick with gphoto2+chdk would be fantastic. Can you please give more hints on this?

All the best,
Elaine