camera project

Andrew Deutsch

I am hoping you can point me in the correct direction.

I am looking for a way to photograph products in what we are calling a photo booth set up.  The idea is to have an item in a fixed location and take 3 photos at 3 different angles at the push of a button.  Imagine having 3 fixed mounted cameras at 3 different angles and being able to take all three at the same time or in sequence of only a second between shots then saving the files to a folder on a computer.

Do you have any ideas how we can accomplish this?  I would even think the quality from a web cam type camera is enough to get the results we need.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Regards,

Andrew Deutsch

VP Marketing & Business Development

North Coast Container

8806 Crane Avenue

Cleveland, Ohio  44105-1622

Phone: (216) 206 – 2042

Mobile: (440) 537 – 3077

[hidden email]

please check out:

http://buyonepackage.com/

&

https://thebossmagazine.com/magazine/september16/#92

Re: camera project

Damon Lynch

On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 1:31 PM, Andrew Deutsch <[hidden email]> wrote:

I am hoping you can point me in the correct direction.

I am looking for a way to photograph products in what we are calling a photo booth set up.  The idea is to have an item in a fixed location and take 3 photos at 3 different angles at the push of a button.  Imagine having 3 fixed mounted cameras at 3 different angles and being able to take all three at the same time or in sequence of only a second between shots then saving the files to a folder on a computer.

When you say "button" do you mean an actual physical button the user pushes, located at some site you don't control e.g. someone else's home or business? Or do you have in mind an office in which you control everything including the computer?  In any case I assume the three cameras will be plugged into the same computer. You don't mention the operating system, but I assume it's something gPhoto2 runs on.

In my opinion the most universal, robust and easy to develop and maintain solution would be a Python script that calls uses gPhoto2 to take the photos. Because you have more than one camera, the script has to be sophisticated enough to control multiple operating system level processes: one parent script to control the three child scripts that talk to the cameras.

The user interface to this script can be as sophisticated or as bare bones as you need.

There are by now several projects which make extensive use of Python and gPhoto2, so it's not as if this solution would be bleeding edge.  I have written one myself that imports and renames photos and videos from multiple cameras simultaneously.

However there are other solutions, depending on what you're looking for with respect to user interface. Entangle is available, for instance. But I have no experience using it and I don't know if it's possible to run multiple instances on the same computer, or if one instance can control multiple cameras.  If multiple instances can be run on the same computer, I don't know if it provides some kind of mechanism to be told when to take a photo via a message originating from outside the program. https://entangle-photo.org/

Best,
Damon