bulb cannot work

XYang
Hi,

I'm new on gphoto2, and I'm trying to trigger a bulb capture on my Cannon EOS 100D camera. But when I try to set the shutter speed to bulb mode, an error happened:

*** Error ***
The property 'Shutter Speed' / 0xd102 was not set, PTP errorcode 0x2019.

*** Error ***
Failed to set new configuration value bulb for configuration entry shutterspeed.
*** Error (-110: 'I/O in progress') ***

Other commands work fine, I can capture photo correctly, and I can set other shutter speed, except bulb.
And I tried to use

gphoto2 --config

to set the shutter speed, still error:

Could not set configuration: I/O in progress

I'm wondering what's going wrong with it? Is EOS 100D not suitable for bulb?

Re: bulb cannot work

http://gphoto.org/doc/remote/

The howto was a bit wrong, but what works for me:

Dial the camera to "M" mode.

Then run:
        gphoto2 --set-config shutterspeed=bulb
        gphoto2 --set-config eosremoterelease=Immediate --wait-event=30s --set-config eosremoterelease="Release Full" --wait-event-and-download=2s

for a 30 second bulb exposure.

Ciao, Marcus

On Thu, Apr 06, 2017 at 06:42:28AM -0700, XYang wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm new on gphoto2, and I'm trying to trigger a bulb capture on my Cannon
> EOS 100D camera. But when I try to set the shutter speed to bulb mode, an
> error happened:
>
> /*** Error ***
> The property 'Shutter Speed' / 0xd102 was not set, PTP errorcode 0x2019.
>
> *** Error ***
> Failed to set new configuration value bulb for configuration entry
> shutterspeed.
> *** Error (-110: 'I/O in progress') ***
> /
> Other commands work fine, I can capture photo correctly, and I can set other
> shutter speed, except bulb.
> And I tried to use
>
> /gphoto2 --config/
>
> to set the shutter speed, still error:
> /
> Could not set configuration: I/O in progress/
>
> I'm wondering what's going wrong with it? Is EOS 100D not suitable for bulb?

Re: bulb cannot work

XYang
Marcus Meissner-4 wrote
Hi,

http://gphoto.org/doc/remote/

The howto was a bit wrong, but what works for me:

Dial the camera to "M" mode.

Then run:
        gphoto2 --set-config shutterspeed=bulb
        gphoto2 --set-config eosremoterelease=Immediate --wait-event=30s --set-config eosremoterelease="Release Full" --wait-event-and-download=2s

for a 30 second bulb exposure.

Ciao, Marcus

On Thu, Apr 06, 2017 at 06:42:28AM -0700, XYang wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm new on gphoto2, and I'm trying to trigger a bulb capture on my Cannon
> EOS 100D camera. But when I try to set the shutter speed to bulb mode, an
> error happened:
>
> /*** Error ***
> The property 'Shutter Speed' / 0xd102 was not set, PTP errorcode 0x2019.
>
> *** Error ***
> Failed to set new configuration value bulb for configuration entry
> shutterspeed.
> *** Error (-110: 'I/O in progress') ***
> /
> Other commands work fine, I can capture photo correctly, and I can set other
> shutter speed, except bulb.
> And I tried to use
>
> /gphoto2 --config/
>
> to set the shutter speed, still error:
> /
> Could not set configuration: I/O in progress/
>
> I'm wondering what's going wrong with it? Is EOS 100D not suitable for bulb?

It is when run the code that the error happened:

        gphoto2 --set-config shutterspeed=bulb
Failed to set new configuration value bulb for configuration entry

Is this because I didn't dial the mode to M?

Re: bulb cannot work

Marcus Meissner
On Sat, Apr 08, 2017 at 08:52:16AM -0700, XYang wrote:

> Marcus Meissner-4 wrote
> > Hi,
> >
> > http://gphoto.org/doc/remote/
> >
> > The howto was a bit wrong, but what works for me:
> >
> > Dial the camera to "M" mode.
> >
> > Then run:
> > gphoto2 --set-config shutterspeed=bulb
> > gphoto2 --set-config eosremoterelease=Immediate --wait-event=30s
> > --set-config eosremoterelease="Release Full" --wait-event-and-download=2s
> >
> > for a 30 second bulb exposure.
> >
> > Ciao, Marcus
> >
> > On Thu, Apr 06, 2017 at 06:42:28AM -0700, XYang wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I'm new on gphoto2, and I'm trying to trigger a bulb capture on my Cannon
> >> EOS 100D camera. But when I try to set the shutter speed to bulb mode, an
> >> error happened:
> >>
> >> /*** Error ***
> >> The property 'Shutter Speed' / 0xd102 was not set, PTP errorcode 0x2019.
> >>
> >> *** Error ***
> >> Failed to set new configuration value bulb for configuration entry
> >> shutterspeed.
> >> *** Error (-110: 'I/O in progress') ***
> >> /
> >> Other commands work fine, I can capture photo correctly, and I can set
> >> other
> >> shutter speed, except bulb.
> >> And I tried to use
> >>
> >> /gphoto2 --config/
> >>
> >> to set the shutter speed, still error:
> >> /
> >> Could not set configuration: I/O in progress/
> >>
> >> I'm wondering what's going wrong with it? Is EOS 100D not suitable for
> >> bulb?
> >>

> >> --

> It is when run the code that the error happened:
>
> /        gphoto2 --set-config shutterspeed=bulb /
> /Failed to set new configuration value bulb for configuration entry/
>
> Is this because I didn't dial the mode to M?

Yes, bulb exposure is only available in Manual mode.

Re: bulb cannot work

XYang
Marcus Meissner wrote
On Sat, Apr 08, 2017 at 08:52:16AM -0700, XYang wrote:
> Marcus Meissner-4 wrote
> > Hi,
> >
> > http://gphoto.org/doc/remote/
> >
> > The howto was a bit wrong, but what works for me:
> >
> > Dial the camera to "M" mode.
> >
> > Then run:
> > gphoto2 --set-config shutterspeed=bulb
> > gphoto2 --set-config eosremoterelease=Immediate --wait-event=30s
> > --set-config eosremoterelease="Release Full" --wait-event-and-download=2s
> >
> > for a 30 second bulb exposure.
> >
> > Ciao, Marcus
> >
> > On Thu, Apr 06, 2017 at 06:42:28AM -0700, XYang wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I'm new on gphoto2, and I'm trying to trigger a bulb capture on my Cannon
> >> EOS 100D camera. But when I try to set the shutter speed to bulb mode, an
> >> error happened:
> >>
> >> /*** Error ***
> >> The property 'Shutter Speed' / 0xd102 was not set, PTP errorcode 0x2019.
> >>
> >> *** Error ***
> >> Failed to set new configuration value bulb for configuration entry
> >> shutterspeed.
> >> *** Error (-110: 'I/O in progress') ***
> >> /
> >> Other commands work fine, I can capture photo correctly, and I can set
> >> other
> >> shutter speed, except bulb.
> >> And I tried to use
> >>
> >> /gphoto2 --config/
> >>
> >> to set the shutter speed, still error:
> >> /
> >> Could not set configuration: I/O in progress/
> >>
> >> I'm wondering what's going wrong with it? Is EOS 100D not suitable for
> >> bulb?
> >>

> >> --

> It is when run the code that the error happened:
>
> /        gphoto2 --set-config shutterspeed=bulb /
> /Failed to set new configuration value bulb for configuration entry/
>
> Is this because I didn't dial the mode to M?

Yes, bulb exposure is only available in Manual mode.

Hi again,

First, thank u for ur guidance. I immediately checked my camera the first day back to work to see if it is not in M mode. But I found it is already switched to M mode, yet the error still happening. I'd like to send u the error messages and hoping your help.

Thank u,
Xu

Re: bulb cannot work

Marcus Meissner
On Mon, Apr 10, 2017 at 03:56:02AM -0700, XYang wrote:

> Marcus Meissner wrote
> > On Sat, Apr 08, 2017 at 08:52:16AM -0700, XYang wrote:
> >> Marcus Meissner-4 wrote

> >> --wait-event-and-download=2s

> >> Cannon
> >> an

> >> 0x2019.

> >> It is when run the code that the error happened:
> >>
> >> /        gphoto2 --set-config shutterspeed=bulb /
> >> /Failed to set new configuration value bulb for configuration entry/
> >>
> >> Is this because I didn't dial the mode to M?
> >
> > Yes, bulb exposure is only available in Manual mode.
> >
> > Ciao, Marcus

> Hi again,
>
> First, thank u for ur guidance. I immediately checked my camera the first
> day back to work to see if it is not in M mode. But I found it is already
> switched to M mode, yet the error still happening. I'd like to send u the
> error messages and hoping your help.

Feel free to send the logfile to me! :)

Re: bulb cannot work

XYang

This is what happened when I try the code

gphoto2 --set-config shutterspeed=bulb

Can u find what's wrong with it?

Thank u,
Xu

(P.S. I tried the second code anyway:

gphoto2 --set-config eosremoterelease=Immediate --wait-event=30s

and the error messages are like this:

don't know if it helps)

Marcus Meissner wrote
On Mon, Apr 10, 2017 at 03:56:02AM -0700, XYang wrote:
> Marcus Meissner wrote
> > On Sat, Apr 08, 2017 at 08:52:16AM -0700, XYang wrote:
> >> Marcus Meissner-4 wrote

> >> --wait-event-and-download=2s

> >> Cannon
> >> an

> >> 0x2019.

> >> It is when run the code that the error happened:
> >>
> >> /        gphoto2 --set-config shutterspeed=bulb /
> >> /Failed to set new configuration value bulb for configuration entry/
> >>
> >> Is this because I didn't dial the mode to M?
> >
> > Yes, bulb exposure is only available in Manual mode.
> >
> > Ciao, Marcus

> Hi again,
>
> First, thank u for ur guidance. I immediately checked my camera the first
> day back to work to see if it is not in M mode. But I found it is already
> switched to M mode, yet the error still happening. I'd like to send u the
> error messages and hoping your help.

Feel free to send the logfile to me! :)

Re: bulb cannot work

Marcus Meissner-4
On Mon, Apr 10, 2017 at 08:39:54AM -0700, XYang wrote:

> <http://gphoto-software.10949.n7.nabble.com/file/n16661/error1.png>
>
> This is what happened when I try the code
>
> /gphoto2 --set-config shutterspeed=bulb/
>
> Can u find what's wrong with it?
>
> Thank u,
> Xu
>
> (P.S. I tried the second code anyway:
>
> /gphoto2 --set-config eosremoterelease=Immediate --wait-event=30s
>
> and the error messages are like this:
> <http://gphoto-software.10949.n7.nabble.com/file/n16661/error2.png>
>
> <http://gphoto-software.10949.n7.nabble.com/file/n16661/error3.png>
>
> don't know if it helps)

Hmm. The strings might be translated.

Also which version do you use?   gphoto2 --version  ?

gphto2 --get-config shutterspeed

should list "bulb" as option.

gphoto2 --get-config eosremoterelease

will list the available shutter states.

Re: bulb cannot work

XYang
Marcus Meissner-4 wrote
On Mon, Apr 10, 2017 at 08:39:54AM -0700, XYang wrote:
> <http://gphoto-software.10949.n7.nabble.com/file/n16661/error1.png>
>
> This is what happened when I try the code
>
> /gphoto2 --set-config shutterspeed=bulb/
>
> Can u find what's wrong with it?
>
> Thank u,
> Xu
>
> (P.S. I tried the second code anyway:
>
> /gphoto2 --set-config eosremoterelease=Immediate --wait-event=30s
>
> and the error messages are like this:
> <http://gphoto-software.10949.n7.nabble.com/file/n16661/error2.png>
>
> <http://gphoto-software.10949.n7.nabble.com/file/n16661/error3.png>
>
> don't know if it helps)

Hmm. The strings might be translated.

Also which version do you use?   gphoto2 --version  ?

gphto2 --get-config shutterspeed

should list "bulb" as option.

gphoto2 --get-config eosremoterelease

will list the available shutter states.

My version of gphoto2:

And yes, "bulb" is an option of shutter speed:

Tried gphoto2 --set-config-index shutterspeed=0, the error still happens.

And shutter stats as follow:

So...Everything seem to be right except it doesn't work~?

Re: bulb cannot work

Marcus Meissner
On Tue, Apr 11, 2017 at 07:27:00AM -0700, XYang wrote:

> Marcus Meissner-4 wrote
> > On Mon, Apr 10, 2017 at 08:39:54AM -0700, XYang wrote:
> >> &lt;http://gphoto-software.10949.n7.nabble.com/file/n16661/error1.png&gt;
> >>
> >> This is what happened when I try the code
> >>
> >> /gphoto2 --set-config shutterspeed=bulb/
> >>
> >> Can u find what's wrong with it?
> >>
> >> Thank u,
> >> Xu
> >>
> >> (P.S. I tried the second code anyway:
> >>
> >> /gphoto2 --set-config eosremoterelease=Immediate --wait-event=30s
> >>
> >> and the error messages are like this:
> >> &lt;http://gphoto-software.10949.n7.nabble.com/file/n16661/error2.png&gt;
> >>
> >> &lt;http://gphoto-software.10949.n7.nabble.com/file/n16661/error3.png&gt;
> >>
> >> don't know if it helps)
> >
> > Hmm. The strings might be translated.
> >
> > Also which version do you use?   gphoto2 --version  ?
> >
> > gphto2 --get-config shutterspeed
> >
> > should list "bulb" as option.
> >
> > gphoto2 --get-config eosremoterelease
> >
> > will list the available shutter states.
> >
> > Ciao, Marcus

> My version of gphoto2:
> <http://gphoto-software.10949.n7.nabble.com/file/n16663/version.png>
>
> And yes, "bulb" is an option of shutter speed:
> <http://gphoto-software.10949.n7.nabble.com/file/n16663/get_shutterspeed.png>
>
> Tried gphoto2 --set-config-index shutterspeed=0, the error still happens.
>
> And shutter stats as follow:
> <http://gphoto-software.10949.n7.nabble.com/file/n16663/eosremoterelease.png>
>
> So...Everything seem to be right except it doesn't work~?

Well, 2.4.13 libgphoto2 is quite a number of years old, from 2011.

We have 2017.

So upgrade to libgphoto2 to 2.5.13 and gphoto2 to 2.5.11, then try again.