Using gphoto for Bullet time photography

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Using gphoto for Bullet time photography

benpems
Hi,

I am really interested in creating a bullet time rig, but I am a novice when it comes to photography and I am certainly not a developer. How easy would it be to create the software using Gphoto to do this? Are their any tutorials?

Thanks

Ben Pemberton
07590840125

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Gphoto-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gphoto-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Using gphoto for Bullet time photography

Daniel Muller
in my opinion, synchronizing cameras over USB cable is not good enough..
you would need to use cable shutters, to get a better synchronization
if your scene does not move too fast, you might be able to get out with USB as well
a product, that can synchronize multiple camera shutters, exists, and you can chain them until you have enough of them..

On Mon, Jun 12, 2017 at 11:30 AM, Ben Pemberton <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I am really interested in creating a bullet time rig, but I am a novice when it comes to photography and I am certainly not a developer. How easy would it be to create the software using Gphoto to do this? Are their any tutorials?

Thanks

Ben Pemberton
07590840125

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Gphoto-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gphoto-devel



------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Gphoto-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gphoto-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Using gphoto for Bullet time photography

Farkas Péter
Hi!

We used for our bullet time project an DIY trigger systems. Just like
these: http://www.breezesys.com/MultiCamera/release.htm (bottom of the
page)
You can found some use full script there:
https://github.com/fape/bullet-time-scripts

Cheers,
 Peter


2017-06-12 13:19 GMT+02:00 Daniel Muller <[hidden email]>:

> in my opinion, synchronizing cameras over USB cable is not good enough..
> you would need to use cable shutters, to get a better synchronization
> if your scene does not move too fast, you might be able to get out with USB
> as well
> a product, that can synchronize multiple camera shutters, exists, and you
> can chain them until you have enough of them..
>
> On Mon, Jun 12, 2017 at 11:30 AM, Ben Pemberton <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am really interested in creating a bullet time rig, but I am a novice
>> when it comes to photography and I am certainly not a developer. How easy
>> would it be to create the software using Gphoto to do this? Are their any
>> tutorials?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Ben Pemberton
>> 07590840125
>>
>>
>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
>> engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
>> _______________________________________________
>> Gphoto-devel mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gphoto-devel
>>
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
> engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
> _______________________________________________
> Gphoto-devel mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gphoto-devel
>

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Gphoto-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gphoto-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Using gphoto for Bullet time photography

kemeny
I've tested 5 x Nikon d3200s triggered via USB and got them all firing within a few hundredths of a second (as opposed to the 1/10 gap between each one that Breeze mentions) so I'd say that it depends on your intended usage.

If you're hoping to use flash it'll be critical that they are precisely in sync whereas if you are using constant light that tiny delay may be tolerable.

Note: I have no idea if increasing the number of cameras beyond 5 will increase or affect the delay, it's reasonable to think that it would.

Also note: Camera arrays are non-trivial, especially if you lack photographic/technical experience

> On 12 Jun 2017, at 12:27, Farkas Péter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi!
>
> We used for our bullet time project an DIY trigger systems. Just like
> these: http://www.breezesys.com/MultiCamera/release.htm (bottom of the
> page)
> You can found some use full script there:
> https://github.com/fape/bullet-time-scripts
>
> Cheers,
> Peter
>
>
> 2017-06-12 13:19 GMT+02:00 Daniel Muller <[hidden email]>:
>> in my opinion, synchronizing cameras over USB cable is not good enough..
>> you would need to use cable shutters, to get a better synchronization
>> if your scene does not move too fast, you might be able to get out with USB
>> as well
>> a product, that can synchronize multiple camera shutters, exists, and you
>> can chain them until you have enough of them..
>>
>>> On Mon, Jun 12, 2017 at 11:30 AM, Ben Pemberton <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am really interested in creating a bullet time rig, but I am a novice
>>> when it comes to photography and I am certainly not a developer. How easy
>>> would it be to create the software using Gphoto to do this? Are their any
>>> tutorials?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Ben Pemberton
>>> 07590840125
>>>
>>>
>>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>> Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
>>> engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> Gphoto-devel mailing list
>>> [hidden email]
>>> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gphoto-devel
>>>
>>
>>
>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
>> engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
>> _______________________________________________
>> Gphoto-devel mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gphoto-devel
>>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
> engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
> _______________________________________________
> Gphoto-devel mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gphoto-devel

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Gphoto-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gphoto-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Using gphoto for Bullet time photography

Jonas Hauquier-2
In reply to this post by Farkas Péter
Even if you use an external trigger (which I recommend), you can still hook up the cameras via USB and gphoto.
When triggered, the cameras will generate a PTP event over USB, that gphoto can react to.

I use such a setup to let gphoto automatically download all new photos to a PC, while I am triggering 6 cameras together using a hardware trigger box.

You should beware that downloading pictures from the camera can sometimes cause its realtime operating system to miss deadlines (at least in the case of my Nikon D3200 cameras), and trigger a little later. So if you're shooting multiple shots sequentially, you might want to defer downloading the pictures until the camera has no more pictures to take.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Gphoto-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gphoto-devel
Loading...