Unable to read Nexus 5

Sullivan Beck
For some reason, I am unable to read my Nexus 5 (Android 6.0.1 with all
the most recent patches, freshly rebooted).  I have been able to read it
in the past, and I'm wondering if a recent Android update (there have
been several recently) has done something OR if the storage has somehow
gotten corrupted.

I'm using:

    OpenSuSE Leap 42.1
    gphoto 2.5.8

gphoto 2.5.8 is the most recent version available without recompiling my
own, but I didn't see any changes in 2.5.9 that appeared relevant to the
Nexus 5.

gphoto2 can see the device:

    % gphoto2 --auto-detect
    Model Port
    Google Inc (for LG Electronics/Samsung) Nexus 4/5/7/10 (MTP)
usb:002,003

but when I try to access it, I get an error:

    % gphoto2 --list-folders
    There is 1 folder in folder '/'.
     - store_00010001

    *** Error ***
    PTP Invalid Storage ID
    *** Error (-1: 'Unspecified error') ***

I'm attaching the log file.  Unfortunately, although I see where the
error occurs, I don't understand what it means.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

my-logfile.txt (47K) Download Attachment

Re: Unable to read Nexus 5

Damon Lynch
On 01/19/2016 06:11 AM, Sullivan Beck wrote:

> gphoto2 can see the device:
>
>    % gphoto2 --auto-detect
>    Model Port
>    ----------------------------------------------------------
>    Google Inc (for LG Electronics/Samsung) Nexus 4/5/7/10 (MTP)
> usb:002,003
>
> but when I try to access it, I get an error:
>
>    % gphoto2 --list-folders
>    There is 1 folder in folder '/'.
>     - store_00010001
>
>    *** Error ***
>    PTP Invalid Storage ID
>    *** Error (-1: 'Unspecified error') ***
>
> I'm attaching the log file.  Unfortunately, although I see where the
> error occurs, I don't understand what it means.
>
> Any suggestions?

Try changing the the setting "USB for charging" to "USB for file
transfers". In Android 6, for security reasons, you must do this every
single time you connect the phone.

--

http://www.damonlynch.net