Turning on Canon EOS Live view without image capture

Turning on Canon EOS Live view without image capture

Keith
Hi,

In my Canon EOS 5D Mark II, I want to set the live view parameter  EOS_ZoomPosition = 960, 400 in libgphoto2 (v2.5.1.1)

Is there a way to enable live view mode without doing an image capture?

Right now to set the above parameters I do the following:

"
gp_camera_capture_preview
set_config_value_string(cameraHandle, "eoszoomposition", "960,400",
                                  cameraContext);
gp_camera_capture_preview
"

At this point I can tell my zoom position is set correctly. However, if I do do the first gp_camera_capture_preview, then the zoom position is not set correctly. At first, I thought there might not have been enough time for the camera to set the parameters before the capture preview, but I inserted a 1 second sleep between the two calls and it still failed to set the zoom position correctly. It wasn't until I added the gp_camera_capture_preview before the set_config_value_string that the zoom position was set properly.

I can see in camlibs/ptp2/library.c where ptp_canon_eos_setdevicepropvlaue is setting the camera into live view mode, but this is not accessible to me.

Thanks,
Keith

Re: Turning on Canon EOS Live view without image capture

Marcus Meissner-4
On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 03:57:32PM -0700, Keith Laband wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In my Canon EOS 5D Mark II, I want to set the live view parameter
> EOS_ZoomPosition = 960, 400 in libgphoto2 (v2.5.1.1)
>
> Is there a way to enable live view mode without doing an image capture?
>
> Right now to set the above parameters I do the following:
>
> "
> gp_camera_capture_preview
> set_config_value_string(cameraHandle, "eoszoomposition", "960,400",
>                                   cameraContext);
> gp_camera_capture_preview
> "
>
> At this point I can tell my zoom position is set correctly. However, if I
> do do the first gp_camera_capture_preview, then the zoom position is not
> set correctly. At first, I thought there might not have been enough time
> for the camera to set the parameters before the capture preview, but I
> inserted a 1 second sleep between the two calls and it still failed to set
> the zoom position correctly. It wasn't until I added the
> gp_camera_capture_preview before the set_config_value_string that the zoom
> position was set properly.
>
> I can see in camlibs/ptp2/library.c where ptp_canon_eos_setdevicepropvlaue
> is setting the camera into live view mode, but this is not accessible to me.

Hmm, what should work is setting the "output" configuration variable to
the "PC" index, then at least my EOS 1000D switches the preview mode on.

        gphoto2 --get-config output
        gphoto2 --set-config output=PC

Have not tried with the zoom position though.

Also, what is the issue with taking one preview image and then working onwards?
It should take 1/20 second...

CIao, Marcus

Re: Turning on Canon EOS Live view without image capture

Daniel P. Berrange
On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 03:57:32PM -0700, Keith Laband wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In my Canon EOS 5D Mark II, I want to set the live view parameter
> EOS_ZoomPosition = 960, 400 in libgphoto2 (v2.5.1.1)
>
> Is there a way to enable live view mode without doing an image capture?
>
> Right now to set the above parameters I do the following:
>
> "
> gp_camera_capture_preview
> set_config_value_string(cameraHandle, "eoszoomposition", "960,400",
>                                   cameraContext);
> gp_camera_capture_preview
> "
>
> At this point I can tell my zoom position is set correctly. However, if I
> do do the first gp_camera_capture_preview, then the zoom position is not
> set correctly. At first, I thought there might not have been enough time
> for the camera to set the parameters before the capture preview, but I
> inserted a 1 second sleep between the two calls and it still failed to set
> the zoom position correctly. It wasn't until I added the
> gp_camera_capture_preview before the set_config_value_string that the zoom
> position was set properly.

You can set the '/main/actions/viewfinder' or '/main/actions/eosviewfinder'
boolean config properties to toggle live view mode on/off.

Regards,
Daniel
--
|: http://berrange.com      -o-    http://www.flickr.com/photos/dberrange/ :|