Supported cameras vs. supported cameras with remote control

Supported cameras vs. supported cameras with remote control

Karmaschinken
This post was updated on .
Hello, I am about to buy a new camera, and I want to be sure it works with gphoto2.

Now having a look at the "supported camera list, I find the camera I have in focus." But at the top of the document I see this:

Supported means here: Able to download images from the camera (or upload images to the picture frame). For remote control support check out the Remote Control Overview page.

Now my most desired camera is not shown there. Actually I don't unterstand the "remote control" page at all, since at the "supported (without remote control?)"-page there is a column showing "Additional Abilities", where things like "Aperture, Exposure, Liveview" and so on appear. What does that mean? Can I use these cameras only to download images and only read the values, not being able to write them back?

Thanks for helping, I am sure I mess up something here, right?

Thanks! Martin

Re: Supported cameras vs. supported cameras with remote control

Marcus Meissner-4
On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 06:54:35AM -0700, Karmaschinken wrote:

> Hello, I am about to buy a new camera, and I want to be sure it works with
> gphoto2.
>
> Now having a loom at the " supported camera list
> <http://gphoto.org/proj/libgphoto2/support.php>  , I find the camera I have
> in focus." But at the top of the document I see this:
>
> /Supported means here: Able to download images from the camera (or upload
> images to the picture frame). For remote control support check out the
> Remote Control Overview <http://gphoto.org/doc/remote/>   page. /
>
> Now the camera is not shown there. Actually I don't unterstand the "remote
> control" page at all, since at the "supported (without remote
> control?)"-page there is a column showing "Additional Abilities", where
> things like "Aperture, Exposure, Liveview" and so on appear. What does that
> mean? Can I use these cameras only to download images and only read the
> values, not being able to write them back?
>
> Thanks for helping, I am sure I mess up something here, right?

Which camera is it actually?

The support.php page has been improved a while ago to also show also some ability
flags.

On the remote page I tried to list some of the settings that are possible, but
the manual summarizing was a bit tedious.

Re: Supported cameras vs. supported cameras with remote control

Karmaschinken
Hello Marcus,

sorry for being so late replying. I am about to try the EOS 700D. I suppose this camera will be fully supported for remote control, right?

Thanks! Martin...

On Thu, Jan 05, 2017 at 01:00:15PM -0700, Karmaschinken wrote:
> Hello Marcus,
>
> sorry for being so late replying. I am about to try the EOS 700D. I suppose
> this camera will be fully supported for remote control, right?

I think it is, yes.