Support for recent (6-12 month old) cameras

Support for recent (6-12 month old) cameras

Squire, Jon (SL)

Hello,

I’ve spent the past couple of days trying to make my Canon PowerShot G16 work (remote capture) with gPhoto2 – with no luck.

Do you have  a list of modern (ie 6-12 months old) cameras that would work with gPhoto2? As far as I can tell, the vast majority of supported cameras can no longer be bought!

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers

Jon

"The information contained in this email may be commercially sensitive and/or legally privileged. It is intended solely for the person(s) to whom it is addressed. If you are not a named recipient, you are on notice of its status. Please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and then delete this message from your system. You must not disclose it to any other person, copy or distribute it or use it for any purpose.

Views expressed in this email are not necessarily those of Sellafield Ltd.

Sellafield Ltd, a company owned by Nuclear Management Partners Ltd, is registered in England and Wales, Company number 1002607. The registered office is situated at Booths Park, Chelford Road, Knutsford, Cheshire WA16 8QZ."

Re: Support for recent (6-12 month old) cameras

Marcus Meissner
On Thu, Mar 17, 2016 at 09:26:01AM +0000, Squire, Jon (SL) wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've spent the past couple of days trying to make my Canon PowerShot G16 work (remote capture) with gPhoto2 - with no luck.
>
> Do you have  a list of modern (ie 6-12 months old) cameras that would work with gPhoto2? As far as I can tell, the vast majority of supported cameras can no longer be bought!
>
> Any help much appreciated.
>
> Cheers
>
> Jon

I did some basic CHDK for the Canon PowerShot cameras (CHDK is an addon firmware).

But out of the box with regular firmware, the camera vendors provide remote control these days:

- For the DSLRs (because they can resell the SDK for money)
- For other cameras that do wireless LAN to satisfy the users of Smartphone remote control Apps
  (but only over WLAN, not over USB ... doh)

Nikon Coolpix occasionaly can do remote control, but it is not advertised and I
do not see the pattern on which can and which can't.

Re: Support for recent (6-12 month old) cameras

Squire, Jon (SL)
Hi Marcus,

Many thanks for your response.

I've looked into the CHDK work and they have a similar problem with only supporting up to a certain model.

I have a PowerShot G9x which can be controlled from my iPhone perfectly, just not via USB!

What I have found is in a non-standard implementation of the PTP protocol. Looking at the gphoto debug log, the camera is capable of multiple PTP codes not covered in the standards (towards the 0x9000). This link (https://www.circuitsathome.com/using-ptp-library-with-canon-powershot-cameras) discusses the PowerShot-specific PS_StartShootingMode command (0×9008) and PS_InitiateCaptureInMemory(0x901a), for exmple.

Is it possible/worthwhile figuring out which of the 0x9000s replace the standard commands (eg 0x100e)? Has this been done for other cameras? Could this be updated to produce a 'driver' for the G9x?

Thanks again

Jon

On Thu, Mar 17, 2016 at 09:26:01AM +0000, Squire, Jon (SL) wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've spent the past couple of days trying to make my Canon PowerShot G16 work (remote capture) with gPhoto2 - with no luck.
>
> Do you have  a list of modern (ie 6-12 months old) cameras that would work with gPhoto2? As far as I can tell, the vast majority of supported cameras can no longer be bought!
>
> Any help much appreciated.
>
> Cheers
>
> Jon

I did some basic CHDK for the Canon PowerShot cameras (CHDK is an addon firmware).

But out of the box with regular firmware, the camera vendors provide remote control these days:

- For the DSLRs (because they can resell the SDK for money)
- For other cameras that do wireless LAN to satisfy the users of Smartphone remote control Apps
  (but only over WLAN, not over USB ... doh)

Nikon Coolpix occasionaly can do remote control, but it is not advertised and I do not see the pattern on which can and which can't.

This message was received by the Cloud Security Email Gateway

and was checked for Viruses and SPAM by the Cloud Security Email Management Service.
Please forward any suspicious or unwanted emails to "Spam Helpdesk"

"The information contained in this email may be commercially sensitive and/or legally privileged. It is intended solely for the person(s) to whom it is addressed. If you are not a named recipient, you are on notice of its status. Please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and then delete this message from your system. You must not disclose it to any other person, copy or distribute it or use it for any purpose.

Views expressed in this email are not necessarily those of Sellafield Ltd.

Sellafield Ltd, a company owned by Nuclear Management Partners Ltd, is registered in England and Wales, Company number 1002607. The registered office is situated at Booths Park, Chelford Road, Knutsford, Cheshire WA16 8QZ."

Re: Support for recent (6-12 month old) cameras

And does it list the 0x9008 and 0x901a in your trace? Can you attach it?

The ptp2 driver in libgphoto2 supports various vendor specific capture
methods already:

- The Canon Powershot vendor capture codes.
  Especially the ones you mention we support since a _lot_ of years.

- Canon EOS, two different vendor methods.
- Nikon Coolpix and DSLR, three different vendor methods.
- Olympus old DSLR vendor method.
- Sony Alpha vendor method.

So what you see on the below url, we have already implement a long time ago.

Is the iPhone control over WLAN or over USB cable?

The camera firmware hides or does not support the USB remote control, which is
of course disappointing.

Ciao, Marcus

On Fri, Mar 18, 2016 at 07:57:28AM +0000, Squire, Jon (SL) wrote:

> Hi Marcus,
>
> Many thanks for your response.
>
> I've looked into the CHDK work and they have a similar problem with only supporting up to a certain model.
>
> I have a PowerShot G9x which can be controlled from my iPhone perfectly, just not via USB!
>
> What I have found is in a non-standard implementation of the PTP protocol. Looking at the gphoto debug log, the camera is capable of multiple PTP codes not covered in the standards (towards the 0x9000). This link (https://www.circuitsathome.com/using-ptp-library-with-canon-powershot-cameras) discusses the PowerShot-specific PS_StartShootingMode command (0×9008) and PS_InitiateCaptureInMemory(0x901a), for exmple.
>
> Is it possible/worthwhile figuring out which of the 0x9000s replace the standard commands (eg 0x100e)? Has this been done for other cameras? Could this be updated to produce a 'driver' for the G9x?
>
> Thanks again
>
> Jon

Marcus Meissner,SUSE LINUX GmbH; Maxfeldstrasse 5; D-90409 Nuernberg; Zi. 3.1-33,+49-911-740 53-432,,serv=loki,mail=wotan,type=real <[hidden email]>

Re: Support for recent (6-12 month old) cameras

Squire, Jon (SL)
Hi,

I have been trying all morning to get the log file of the linux box with no joy (we're not allowed Pen Drives, to use a camera memory card, unsecured internet access etc). I will have to send it when I get home tonight.

No, there's no sign of 9008/901a. However there are plenty of 98xx, 91xx codes which I haven't been able to cross check with any of the records I can find - is it possible that one of these codes is what we're after?

iPhone control is via WLAN. Can we inspect the wifi traffic to see what is being sent and perhaps work backwards from there? (Would wireshark do this?)

Yes, it is very disappointing! It makes little sense to have WLAN but not USB.

Cheers

Jon

On Fri, Mar 18, 2016 at 10:06:00AM +0000, Squire, Jon (SL) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been trying all morning to get the log file of the linux box with no joy (we're not allowed Pen Drives, to use a camera memory card, unsecured internet access etc). I will have to send it when I get home tonight.
>
> No, there's no sign of 9008/901a. However there are plenty of 98xx, 91xx codes which I haven't been able to cross check with any of the records I can find - is it possible that one of these codes is what we're after?

0x98xx opcodes are usually MTP specific commands.
0x91xx ... could be Canon opcodes, or also MTP opcodes.

> iPhone control is via WLAN. Can we inspect the wifi traffic to see what is being sent and perhaps work backwards from there? (Would wireshark do this?)
>
> Yes, it is very disappointing! It makes little sense to have WLAN but not USB.

I tried sniffing one of my Canon Powershots wlan, I did not succeed.

They might use PTP, they might also use some REST / SOAP API :(