Support for new bridge cameras

Julio Tanomaru
Hello. First of all, congratulations for this great piece of software.

I am designing  a system based on a Raspberry Pi model 3 for capturing images from two digital cameras, and I plan to use gphoto2 to control the cameras. Since I don't need professional images, the idea is to use bridge cameras such as a Canon Powershot, a Nikon Coolpix or a Panasonic Lumia. I'm having a hard time trying to find a gphoto-controllable camera among the models in market, since the list available in http://www.gphoto.org/doc/remote/ seems to be pretty outdated. Where can I find a more up-to-date list of supported cameras?

Thank you very much.

Re: Support for new bridge cameras

The bridge cameras have silently dropped out of the remote control market :/

- Canon Powershot ... for quite a number of years now.

  You can however use the CHDK third party addon firmware, but it is not
  as nice as the original capture code.

- Nikon Coolpix
  Even newer ones might some have "limited" capture functionality, without much configuration.

- Pansonic Lumia ... no capture possible over USB AFAIK.

The Nikon 1 and Canon EOS M series have some capture support (EOS M very fresh
in libgphoto2), but then you could already buy a low end DSLR for the same price.

Ciao, Marcus

On Mon, May 08, 2017 at 03:41:27PM -0300, Julio Tanomaru wrote:

> Hello. First of all, congratulations for this great piece of software.
>
> I am designing  a system based on a Raspberry Pi model 3 for capturing
> images from two digital cameras, and I plan to use gphoto2 to control the
> cameras. Since I don't need professional images, the idea is to use bridge
> cameras such as a Canon Powershot, a Nikon Coolpix or a Panasonic Lumia.
> I'm having a hard time trying to find a gphoto-controllable camera among
> the models in market, since the list available in
> http://www.gphoto.org/doc/remote/ seems to be pretty outdated. Where can I
> find a more up-to-date list of supported cameras?
>
> Thank you very much.
>

> --
> ================================
> Júlio Tanomaru

Re: Support for new bridge cameras

Julio Tanomaru
Thanks a lot, Marcus.

Okay, so my first choice should be an inexpensive DSLR camera, right? I'm thinking about buying an used bridge camera that is compatible with gPhoto just for prototyping (test of concept) and then purchasing two DSLR cameras for actual implementation. That would be the way to go, right? Thank you very much.

Júlio Tanomaru

Livre de vírus. www.avast.com.

The bridge cameras have silently dropped out of the remote control market :/

- Canon Powershot ... for quite a number of years now.

  You can however use the CHDK third party addon firmware, but it is not
  as nice as the original capture code.

- Nikon Coolpix
  Even newer ones might some have "limited" capture functionality, without much configuration.

- Pansonic Lumia ... no capture possible over USB AFAIK.

The Nikon 1 and Canon EOS M series have some capture support (EOS M very fresh
in libgphoto2), but then you could already buy a low end DSLR for the same price.

Ciao, Marcus

On Mon, May 08, 2017 at 03:41:27PM -0300, Julio Tanomaru wrote:
> Hello. First of all, congratulations for this great piece of software.
>
> I am designing  a system based on a Raspberry Pi model 3 for capturing
> images from two digital cameras, and I plan to use gphoto2 to control the
> cameras. Since I don't need professional images, the idea is to use bridge
> cameras such as a Canon Powershot, a Nikon Coolpix or a Panasonic Lumia.
> I'm having a hard time trying to find a gphoto-controllable camera among
> the models in market, since the list available in
> http://www.gphoto.org/doc/remote/ seems to be pretty outdated. Where can I
> find a more up-to-date list of supported cameras?
>
> Thank you very much.
>

> --
> ================================
> Júlio Tanomaru

Re: Support for new bridge cameras

Hubert Figuière-2
On 09/05/17 02:12 AM, Marcus Meissner wrote:
> - Nikon Coolpix Even newer ones might some have "limited" capture
> functionality, without much configuration.

Newer Coolpix like the A900 have remote control support with Wifi and
BLE (using a mobile app), marketed as "Snapbridge". To quote their
marketing material:

http://en.nikon.ca/nikon-products/product/compact-digital-cameras/coolpix-a900.html#tab-ProductDetail-ProductTabs-Overview

> Built-in Wi-Fi®, NFC and Bluetooth® low energy (BLE) maintain a
> constant connection [...], so each shot you take automatically
> transfers to your [device] for sharing, editing [...] or uploading
> [...]. You can even [...] control your camera remotely!

And this is also supported by some Nikon DSLR.

This a possible avenue to extend camera control support.

Hub

Kor

Απ: Support for new bridge cameras

Kor

sir you can do your job with chdk cameras with 16 mpixels . i have send you a mail before. check it out

Από: Julio Tanomaru <[hidden email]>
Στάλθηκε: Τετάρτη, 10 Μαΐου 2017 3:19 μμ
Προς: Marcus Meissner
Κοιν.: [hidden email]
Θέμα: Re: [Gphoto-user] Support for new bridge cameras

Thanks a lot, Marcus.

Okay, so my first choice should be an inexpensive DSLR camera, right? I'm thinking about buying an used bridge camera that is compatible with gPhoto just for prototyping (test of concept) and then purchasing two DSLR cameras for actual implementation. That would be the way to go, right? Thank you very much.

Júlio Tanomaru

Livre de vírus. www.avast.com.

The bridge cameras have silently dropped out of the remote control market :/

- Canon Powershot ... for quite a number of years now.

  You can however use the CHDK third party addon firmware, but it is not
  as nice as the original capture code.

- Nikon Coolpix
  Even newer ones might some have "limited" capture functionality, without much configuration.

- Pansonic Lumia ... no capture possible over USB AFAIK.

The Nikon 1 and Canon EOS M series have some capture support (EOS M very fresh
in libgphoto2), but then you could already buy a low end DSLR for the same price.

Ciao, Marcus

On Mon, May 08, 2017 at 03:41:27PM -0300, Julio Tanomaru wrote:
> Hello. First of all, congratulations for this great piece of software.
>
> I am designing  a system based on a Raspberry Pi model 3 for capturing
> images from two digital cameras, and I plan to use gphoto2 to control the
> cameras. Since I don't need professional images, the idea is to use bridge
> cameras such as a Canon Powershot, a Nikon Coolpix or a Panasonic Lumia.
> I'm having a hard time trying to find a gphoto-controllable camera among
> the models in market, since the list available in
> http://www.gphoto.org/doc/remote/ seems to be pretty outdated. Where can I
> find a more up-to-date list of supported cameras?
>
> Thank you very much.
>

> --
> Júlio Tanomaru

Re: Απ: Support for new bridge cameras

pontissimo

sir you can do your job with chdk cameras with 16 mpixels . i have send you a mail before. check it out

Can you post that to the list? I'm interested too.

Από: Julio Tanomaru <[hidden email]>