Sony QX1

Paweł Rybka
    Hello.

I wanted to use gphoto2 to control Sony QX1 camera.
I could connect to Sony Alpha 6000, but I cannot do the same with QX1. When I display ports - for both cameras the output is the same, but I cannot reach QX1 using auto detection.
I wonder if this is a small (fixable) problem as both cameras are almost the same.

Thank you for your support.
Paweł

Re: Sony QX1

Marcus Meissner-4
On Sat, Mar 19, 2016 at 09:13:58PM +0100, Paweł Rybka wrote:
>    Hello.
>

> I wanted to use gphoto2 to control Sony QX1 camera.
> I could connect to Sony Alpha 6000, but I cannot do the same with QX1. When
> I display ports - for both cameras the output is the same, but I cannot
> reach QX1 using auto detection.
> I wonder if this is a small (fixable) problem as both cameras are almost
> the same.

Can you run

lsusb -v

with the camera attached and post the Sony section of this output?

If it is in PTP mode it should be autodetected....

Re: Sony QX1

ilia
Hi Marcus!

I am also looking for the gphoto support of Sony QX1. Here is the "lsusb -v" output on my PC:

Bus 001 Device 026: ID 054c:07cf Sony Corp.
Couldn't open device, some information will be missing
Device Descriptor:
  bLength                18
  bDescriptorType         1
  bcdUSB               2.00
  bDeviceClass            0 (Defined at Interface level)
  bDeviceSubClass         0
  bDeviceProtocol         0
  bMaxPacketSize0        64
  idVendor           0x054c Sony Corp.
  idProduct          0x07cf
  bcdDevice            1.00
  iManufacturer           1
  iProduct                2
  iSerial                 3
  bNumConfigurations      1
  Configuration Descriptor:
    bLength                 9
    bDescriptorType         2
    wTotalLength           32
    bNumInterfaces          1
    bConfigurationValue     1
    iConfiguration          0
    bmAttributes         0xc0
      Self Powered
    MaxPower                2mA
    Interface Descriptor:
      bLength                 9
      bDescriptorType         4
      bInterfaceNumber        0
      bAlternateSetting       0
      bNumEndpoints           2
      bInterfaceClass         8 Mass Storage
      bInterfaceSubClass      6 SCSI
      bInterfaceProtocol     80 Bulk-Only
      iInterface              0
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x81  EP 1 IN
        bmAttributes            2
          Transfer Type            Bulk
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0200  1x 512 bytes
        bInterval               0
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x02  EP 2 OUT
        bmAttributes            2
          Transfer Type            Bulk
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0200  1x 512 bytes
        bInterval               0

There is another topic about this camera where the guy didn't reply. I made some initial research on this issue and here's what I have found:
1. Using the Intel Edison to control QX1 via wifi though. Python code is included.
2. Sony QX1 Triggering just via cable. They also did multi camera control through wifi
3. The CAMremote and Seagull support this camera
4. Another post on DIY that says you are able to control through CAMremote.
5. Topic on stackoverflow doesn't very useful though. Another topic that says "Sony indicate that QX1 is supporting "multi" mode on the USB hence simple wired remotes will work."
6. At the sony developer's page that say it works should work with usb.

I was not able to control it trough any Windows programs. I am open to help in any way to make this camera to work.

Thank you in advance!

Re: Sony QX1

That is also just mass storage apparently :(

see:
>       bInterfaceClass         8 Mass Storage
>       bInterfaceSubClass      6 SCSI
>       bInterfaceProtocol     80 Bulk-Only

> There is another  topic
> <http://gphoto-software.10949.n7.nabble.com/Adding-Sony-ILCE-QX1-camrea-to-gphoto2-td15188.html>
> about this camera where the guy didn't reply. I made some initial research
> on this issue and here's what I have found:

> 1.  Using the Intel Edison to control QX1
> <http://diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/using-the-intel-edison-as-a-smart-camera-controller?id=705844%3ABlogPost%3A2006143&page=3#comments>
> via wifi though. Python code is included.

This is some form of upnp discovered protocol with REST/SOAP things.

It would be interesting to implement that, but without sample hardware it will probably
be hard as we do not have a similar driver yet :)

> I was not able to control it trough any Windows programs. I am open to help
> in any way to make this camera to work.

The rest of the articles you had largely explained a wired trigger attachment, but not over USB protocol,
but using the USB plug protocols.