Shooting performance

Aleś Bułojčyk
Hi All.

My goal is to checking ability to use libgphoto2 in future for shooting pictures by computer control. It would be great to have 2 pictures per seconds speed.

For testing, I'm trying to use gphoto2 2.5.9 with Canon 700d.
I'm using S1 picture size with lens switched to MF. As far as I understand, capturetarget switched to SDRAM by default:

​​​​​​​​$ gphoto2 --get-config capturetarget
Label: Capture Target
Type: RADIO
Current: Internal RAM
Choice: 0 Internal RAM
Choice: 1 Memory card

I tried to make 5 shots by --capture-image-and-download command, but 5 shots was required ~30 seconds ! See debug info at the https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B79T6_pg7ncVX2w5WktESWZ6Qmc

After that, I disabled lens aberration correction, and time was decreased for 1 second. See https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B79T6_pg7ncVbFRGU0tVN3Y1UEU . It's still too slow.

I tried also way when picture will be stored on camera. I will retrieve it later. Command is : "--trigger-capture --wait-event=FILEADDED". 5 shots was require 4.65 seconds. It's much better, but still too slow. See https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B79T6_pg7ncVUDcteHlPdW9YTFE

There are some questions:

1. Why downloading of ~1.2 mb picture requires ~5 seconds ? It's difference between capture-and-download and trigger.

2. Can I decrease shooting speed by some other parameters ? I'm already using MF.

3. By the http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/canon-t5i/canon-t5iA6.HTM, camera should require 0.36 sec for shooting and ~0.15 for transfer.

4. I understand that 700d should lock up mirror before every shot. And it's impossible to lock up it once, then shooting. If I will use Canon EOS M10, it should work faster since there is no mirror. But http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/canon-eos-m10/canon-eos-m10A6.HTM reports 0.7 sec shooting speed. Canon PowerShot G9 X  requires even 0.88 sec for shooting by the http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/canon-g9x/canon-g9xA6.HTM. Why they are so slow ?

5. Are there any good-supported faster but not expensive cameras ? Picture quality is not so critical.

WBR, Alex.

Re: Shooting performance

On Tue, Jun 13, 2017 at 11:43:37AM +0300, Aleś Bułojčyk wrote:

> Hi All.
>
> My goal is to checking ability to use libgphoto2 in future for shooting
> pictures by computer control. It would be great to have 2 pictures per
> seconds speed.
>
> For testing, I'm trying to use gphoto2 2.5.9 with Canon 700d.
> I'm using S1 picture size with lens switched to MF. As far as I understand,
> capturetarget switched to SDRAM by default:
>
> ​​​​​​​​$ gphoto2 --get-config capturetarget
> Label: Capture Target
>
> Type: RADIO
> Current: Internal RAM
> Choice: 0 Internal RAM
> Choice: 1 Memory card
>
> I tried to make 5 shots by --capture-image-and-download command, but 5
> shots was required ~30 seconds ! See debug info at the
> https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B79T6_pg7ncVX2w5WktESWZ6Qmc

In SDRAM we currently downloaded the images immediately to not lose control over
them. This takes some time.

For card capture they would be stored on the card.

The traces you have waste 2 seconds waiting for focus, which I fixed in 2.5.10.

So upgrading to a newer release will already save you 2 or more seconds every image.

> I tried also way when picture will be stored on camera. I will retrieve it
> later. Command is : "--trigger-capture --wait-event=FILEADDED". 5 shots was
> require 4.65 seconds. It's much better, but still too slow. See
> https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B79T6_pg7ncVUDcteHlPdW9YTFE
>
> There are some questions:
>
> 1. Why downloading of ~1.2 mb picture requires ~5 seconds ? It's difference
> between capture-and-download and trigger.

trigger capture did not wait for the focusing I think.

> 2. Can I decrease shooting speed by some other parameters ? I'm already
> using MF.
>
> 3. By the http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/canon-t5i/canon-t5iA6.HTM,
> camera should require 0.36 sec for shooting and ~0.15 for transfer.
>
> 4. I understand that 700d should lock up mirror before every shot. And it's
> impossible to lock up it once, then shooting. If I will use Canon EOS M10,
> it should work faster since there is no mirror. But
> http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/canon-eos-m10/canon-eos-m10A6.HTM
> reports 0.7 sec shooting speed. Canon PowerShot G9 X  requires even 0.88
> sec for shooting by the
> http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/canon-g9x/canon-g9xA6.HTM. Why they
> are so slow ?
>
> 5. Are there any good-supported faster but not expensive cameras ? Picture
> quality is not so critical.

It would be good to repeat with 2.5.14.

Re: Shooting performance

Aleś Bułojčyk
Hi Marcus.

Thank you for ideas.

I tried the same things with gphoto2.5.14.

5 shots by --capture-image-and-download works really faster: 21.6 sec instead 30 sec. But still terrible slow - if difference is only with jpeg transfer, that means 700d sends 7mb data for 15 seconds via 480Mb/s channel !

Looks like --trigger-capture works even some slower: 5.9 sec instead 4.65 sec. See details on the https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B79T6_pg7ncVUEZIUm5penpDTk0 and https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B79T6_pg7ncVZzdyTmhKZEdsSkU.

So, the same question: can you recommend something for decrease shooting time ?

Is it possible to control every shot event in the burst(continuous) mode ?

WBR, Alex.

Hi,