Recommended camera for long-term outdoor automated timelapses?

Recommended camera for long-term outdoor automated timelapses?

pontissimo
I'm going to be setting up a camera for a long term timelapse, taking 1 picture a minute for a few months.

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations?

Some requirements:

- I need to be able to weather proof it, so a waterproof housing or building a box or?

- ideally I'd like to control it via a Raspberry Pi, or some such small lower power computer.

- ideally the camera should be reasonably stable, not needing much attention.

- it'd be great if it could have enough light sensitivity to take pictures of the sky at night

I have a Canon T2i (aka 550D), is that a good candidate for this?

If using the T2i, can I put it on Auto mode to get good exposures in day and (given enough moon and/or star light) at night? Or should I be controlling the exposure?

Any other tips?

Re: Recommended camera for long-term outdoor automated timelapses?

Marcus Meissner-4
On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 01:09:28PM -0800, Alec Bennett wrote:

> I'm going to be setting up a camera for a long term timelapse, taking 1
> picture a minute for a few months.
>
> I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations?
>
> Some requirements:
>
> - I need to be able to weather proof it, so a waterproof housing or
> building a box or?
>
> - ideally I'd like to control it via a Raspberry Pi, or some such small
> lower power computer.
>
> - ideally the camera should be reasonably stable, not needing much
> attention.
>
> - it'd be great if it could have enough light sensitivity to take pictures
> of the sky at night
>
> I have a Canon T2i (aka 550D), is that a good candidate for this?
>
> If using the T2i, can I put it on Auto mode to get good exposures in day
> and (given enough moon and/or star light) at night? Or should I be
> controlling the exposure?
>
> Any other tips?

We have one or two folks who have deployed EOS cameras with some embedded
machine setups.

But not by me personally, so someone else might speak up.

Re: Recommended camera for long-term outdoor automated timelapses?

François G.
Hi Alec,

Some answers in your original email below.

François Gerthoffert
Eurotechnia Ltd.

Responsable technique / Technical director
Equipe Webcampak / Webcampak Team
Tel: +33 2 85 52 65 41 / +1 647 795 7957

2013/12/12 Alec Bennett <[hidden email]>
I'm going to be setting up a camera for a long term timelapse, taking 1 picture a minute for a few months.

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations?

Some requirements:

- I need to be able to weather proof it, so a waterproof housing or building a box or?

You can either use a large CCTV enclosure or customize an all-terrain case (Pelican, ...). It will not be sufficient for waterproofing but will be perfectly fine for weatherproofing.

- ideally I'd like to control it via a Raspberry Pi, or some such small lower power computer.

Most ARM-based computer should do the job perfectly fine, could be a Raspberry Pi or something else (http://www.solid-run.com/).

- ideally the camera should be reasonably stable, not needing much attention.

Canon D-SLR work great, avoid compacts which tend to crash after a few days of continuous operation (although power-cycling can solve the issue).

- it'd be great if it could have enough light sensitivity to take pictures of the sky at night

I have a Canon T2i (aka 550D), is that a good candidate for this?

Yes, works perfectly fine, we tested very long setups (1/2/3 years) and Canon D-SLR (APS-C and full frame) typically works fine. Just keep in mind that your camera will fail at some point (shutter) depending of the number of pictures.

If using the T2i, can I put it on Auto mode to get good exposures in day and (given enough moon and/or star light) at night? Or should I be controlling the exposure?

Any other tips?

Re: Recommended camera for long-term outdoor automated timelapses?

Rogier Wolff

On Thu, Jan 02, 2014 at 06:17:36AM -0500, François G. wrote:
> Yes, works perfectly fine, we tested very long setups (1/2/3 years)
> and Canon D-SLR (APS-C and full frame) typically works fine. Just
> keep in mind that your camera will fail at some point (shutter)
> depending of the number of pictures.

The DSLRs in the "enthousiast hobbyist" market segment are designed to
last about 100k shots. Often reaching about 200-300k before failing.

The DSLRs in the "pro" market segment are designed to last about 300k
shots. Reaching around 1M on average before failing.

Suprisingly, you'd expect the compact cameras to be designed to the
worst specs, but they have smaller shutters which end up being much
more durable.... (I have something like 280k on my Nikon 5600).

        Roger.

--
** [hidden email] ** http://www.BitWizard.nl/ ** +31-15-2600998 **
**    Delftechpark 26 2628 XH  Delft, The Netherlands. KVK: 27239233    **

Re: Recommended camera for long-term outdoor automated timelapses?

Greg-34
>From a hardware perspective, you’d think the Nikon 1 series would be ideal.  Solid build, quality optics, electronic shutter option.  Unfortunately the firmware severely limits what you can do with interval, exposure and, apparently, tethering.

Has there been any luck getting libgphoto2 to work with them yet?

Cheers—
 Greg

On Thu, Jan 02, 2014 at 11:28:07AM -0800, [hidden email] wrote:
> >From a hardware perspective, you’d think the Nikon 1 series would be ideal.  Solid build, quality optics, electronic shutter option.  Unfortunately the firmware severely limits what you can do with interval, exposure and, apparently, tethering.
>
> Has there been any luck getting libgphoto2 to work with them yet?

No,

I just need 1 Windows USB trace of a successful capture from one
of those :(

Ciao, Marcus