Re: [sane-devel] Getting Clever CAM 360 working - running gphoto2 version 2.1.6

Re: [sane-devel] Getting Clever CAM 360 working - running gphoto2 version 2.1.6

Theodore Kilgore
On Thu, 15 Sep 2005, Martin wrote:

> Here is different debug output running the newer gphoto2 version 2.1.6.
> 0.001147 main(2): gphoto2 2.1.6
> 0.002003 main(2): gphoto2 has been compiled with the following options:
> 0.002869 main(2): + gcc (C compiler used)
> 0.003558 main(2): + popt (for handling command-line parameters)
> 0.004405 main(2): + no exif (for displaying EXIF information)
> 0.005257 main(2): + no cdk (for accessing configuration options)
> 0.006069 main(2): + no aa (for displaying live previews)
> 0.006778 main(2): + no jpeg (for displaying live previews in JPEG format)
> 0.007668 main(2): + readline (for easy navigation in the shell)
> /usr/local/bin/gphoto2: relocation error: /usr/local/bin/gphoto2: undefined
> symbol: gp_library_version
> [root@oldpc root]#
>
> The previous debug output was from running gphoto2 version 2.1.0.
>
> So I would say ignore that last debug output, and focus on this one above.
> Sorry for creating any confusion.
>
> This is showing a different error --> "undefined symbol: gp_library_version".

Hmmm. This looks to me like some kind of strange bug introduced along the
way to the installation. What happens is that gphoto2 seeks for the
version of libgphoto2 which is installed (kind of obvious from what the
error message says) and libgphoto2 is supposed to supply that. And it is
not working. The relevant source files are

gphoto2/gphoto2/version.c (which sets up the asking)

and

libgphoto2-(version)/libgphoto2/gphoto-version.c

which sets up the information to be supplied.

And somewhere is a slip twixt the cup and the lip.

The only thing which I could suggest is guesswork, that there is still
some kind of hidden interference between an old installation of gphoto2
and of libgphoto2 on the one side (which could have been binaries
installed by your distro, when you installed it) and the new ones (which
you have now installed from source) on the other.

I confess up front that sometimes these problems are totally mysterious,
and that on occasion similar things have happened to me, too. Not the
same precise error message, but something was not found which AFAICT I
had installed correctly, knowing all of the right steps pretty much by
heart. I still don't know what the problem was the last time it happened,
but the cure which ended up working was to go in and delete everything
related to gphoto2 and to libgphoto2 which had been installed anywhere on
the amchine, and then to go back and do "make install" again, and the
problem magically disappeared. And in my case it was all in /usr/local,
too, because I never had any binary installation from any distro. So I
guess that is what I would do, and perhaps to look in the files related to
"configure" in your gphoto2 source tree because it may say there what it
_thinks_ it found -- which might not be version 2.1.6. And if it is not
and you deleted that previous libgphoto2 install, then no wonder.

Other problems can be caused by some of the "helper" tools like libtool
and autoconf and automake and readline that stuff. You really need to make
sure that these things are up to date, because the good folk from GNU who
produce them are of the opinion recently that some big changes needed to
be made, which after a lot of construction dust would make everything
better for everybody. The README and INSTALL files in the libgphoto2 and
gphoto2 packages will list the versions for all of this stuff which are
assumed to be present.

But the bottom line is that your gphoto2 right now is simply broken.
Probably you will never find out exactly why, but my advice is just to do
the installation steps very carefully, all over again, after checking very
carefully for any hidden remnants of any previous installaton (including
what you just did yesterday), and delete them. Sorry for the trouble, but
it seems to me to come under the category of bad luck which one hopes can
be avoided by being even more careful.

Let me know if these suggestions fix the problem.

Theodore Kilgore

Re: Re: [sane-devel] Getting Clever CAM 360 working - running gphoto2 version 2.1.6

Hub Figuière-2
[hidden email] wrote:

> Hmmm. This looks to me like some kind of strange bug introduced along
> the way to the installation.

It is just FAQ. make sure you have libgphoto2.1.6 installed and no older
version around.

Hub

Re: [sane-devel] Getting Clever CAM 360 working - running gphoto2 version 2.1.6

Martin-23
Ok, I deleted all folders/files referencing libgphoto2* and gphoto2*
from my system - which removed all old and newer versions of each.

I re-did ./configure and make and make install, for libgphoto2-2.1.6 and
then gphoto2-2.1.6.

Now the only error message I'm getting is the following.

===================
[root@oldpc root]# env LANG=C /usr/local/bin/gphoto2 --debug --camera
"Polaroid PDC 640" --capture-image --port "usb:"

/usr/local/bin/gphoto2: error while loading shared libraries:
libgphoto2.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
===================

I'm not sure why this is happening, so I did a find for it, and it can
be found.
===================
[root@oldpc root]# find / -iname 'libgphoto2.so.2'

/usr/local/lib/libgphoto2.so.2
===================

Just doing the real simple gphoto2 command, same thing:

[root@oldpc root]# /usr/local/bin/gphoto2 --help
/usr/local/bin/gphoto2: error while loading shared libraries:
libgphoto2.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Any ideas?

Thanks for the help, much appreciated,
-Martin

Re: [sane-devel] Getting Clever CAM 360 working - running gphoto2 version 2.1.6

Theodore Kilgore

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005, Martin wrote:

> Ok, I deleted all folders/files referencing libgphoto2* and gphoto2* from my
> system - which removed all old and newer versions of each.
>
> I re-did ./configure and make and make install, for libgphoto2-2.1.6 and then
> gphoto2-2.1.6.
>
> Now the only error message I'm getting is the following.
>
> ===================
> [root@oldpc root]# env LANG=C /usr/local/bin/gphoto2 --debug --camera
> "Polaroid PDC 640" --capture-image --port "usb:"
>
> /usr/local/bin/gphoto2: error while loading shared libraries:
> libgphoto2.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
> ===================
>
> I'm not sure why this is happening, so I did a find for it, and it can be
> found.
> ===================
> [root@oldpc root]# find / -iname 'libgphoto2.so.2'
>
> /usr/local/lib/libgphoto2.so.2
> ===================
>
> Just doing the real simple gphoto2 command, same thing:
>
> [root@oldpc root]# /usr/local/bin/gphoto2 --help
> /usr/local/bin/gphoto2: error while loading shared libraries:
> libgphoto2.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
>

> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks for the help, much appreciated,
> -Martin

Don't know if you rebooted or not, but you might try running ldconfig, and
then

ldd /usr/local/bin/gphoto2

and see what you get. The ldd command is supposed to display all library
dependencies of an executable, and to tell if those libraries are found or
not. The ldconfig is supposed to re-link the latest versions of all
libraries, updating its list of what is latest if necessary,
and to provide symlinks from the right places, to things like

libgphoto2.so.2

and is supposed to get run automatically after a make install, and also on
reboot. Sorry to have to ask, but are you _really_ sure that all of the
old junk got removed? And you ran each of ./configure, make, make install
for libgphoto2 and then for gphoto2, in the order I listed them? And got
no error messages for either of the ./configure s nor for the make, nor
for the make install? If you followed the steps exactly, this kind of
stuff is not supposed to happen. Don't take it wrong. Don't think I am
acting superior. Sooner or later, every mortal has one of those
unlucky days when one is sure that one did everything exactly right and
something falls on the head anyway. But, seriously, this is not supposed
to happen. The 2.1.6 releases are not alpha or beta software. So, I would
say try again, read the installation instructions again, and check double
before each step.

It would be nice to get to the point to know whether or not I even guessed
right that the new camera can be supported in camlibs/polaroid or not. If
we get a positive answer to that, you may be 97% toward getting it
supported. If not, there is a bit more to do.

Marcus, would you like to get in on this? The new camera is an
0x797:0x8001 with a Grandtech chipset. So, the advice I gave, which is in
the process of being carried out, is to see if it gets anything positive
from the camera, to add it to the list in polaroid/pdc640.c.

Theodore Kilgore