Quantcast

Re: gphoto2 hangs when connecting to EOS 20D for second time

Re: gphoto2 hangs when connecting to EOS 20D for second time

gphoto-list
Hi,

in September 2013, Jasper Tonk encountered a problem where gphoto2 would
hang every second time after taking a photo with a Canon EOS 20D.
I'm experiencing the same issue, both with gphoto2 2.4.11 from the
Ubuntu package repository and 2.5.4 compiled from the Sourceforge
tarballs.

The first, third, fifth, etc. shot after connecting the camera work as
expected, with gphoto2 giving the following output:
  $ env LANG=C LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib /usr/local/bin/gphoto2
  --debug --debug-logfile=good.txt --capture-image-and-download
  Detected a 'Canon:EOS 20D (normal mode)'.
  New file is in location /DCIM/100CANON/IMG_0091.JPG on the camera
  Downloading 'IMG_0091.JPG' from folder '/DCIM/100CANON'...
  Saving file as IMG_0091.JPG
  Deleting file /DCIM/100CANON/IMG_0091.JPG on the camera
  Deleting 'IMG_0091.JPG' from folder '/DCIM/100CANON'...

But every second time, the camera takes a photo and stores it on the CF
card, but gphoto2 hangs before detecting where the new photo is located:
  $ env LANG=C LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib /usr/local/bin/gphoto2
  --debug --debug-logfile=bad.txt --capture-image-and-download
  Detected a 'Canon:EOS 20D (normal mode)'.
  ^C
  Cancelling...
  ^C

(As you can see above, it takes two SIGINTs to stop it.)

The patch suggested by born [1] is already included in 2.5.4 and
obviously didn't fix the problem.

What else can I try to get gphoto2 and my camera to work reliably?

Nils

Re: gphoto2 hangs when connecting to EOS 20D for second time

gphoto-list
Sorry, I forgot to attach the log files.
Here's the log file from the failed attempt. The one from the successful
attempt is huge and contains a hexdump of the photo, so I will only send
it if it's necessary.

Nils

On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 06:10:47PM +0200, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hi,
>
> in September 2013, Jasper Tonk encountered a problem where gphoto2 would
> hang every second time after taking a photo with a Canon EOS 20D.
> I'm experiencing the same issue, both with gphoto2 2.4.11 from the
> Ubuntu package repository and 2.5.4 compiled from the Sourceforge
> tarballs.
>
> The first, third, fifth, etc. shot after connecting the camera work as
> expected, with gphoto2 giving the following output:
>   $ env LANG=C LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib /usr/local/bin/gphoto2
>   --debug --debug-logfile=good.txt --capture-image-and-download
>   Detected a 'Canon:EOS 20D (normal mode)'.
>   New file is in location /DCIM/100CANON/IMG_0091.JPG on the camera
>   Downloading 'IMG_0091.JPG' from folder '/DCIM/100CANON'...
>   Saving file as IMG_0091.JPG
>   Deleting file /DCIM/100CANON/IMG_0091.JPG on the camera
>   Deleting 'IMG_0091.JPG' from folder '/DCIM/100CANON'...
>
> But every second time, the camera takes a photo and stores it on the CF
> card, but gphoto2 hangs before detecting where the new photo is located:
>   $ env LANG=C LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib /usr/local/bin/gphoto2
>   --debug --debug-logfile=bad.txt --capture-image-and-download
>   Detected a 'Canon:EOS 20D (normal mode)'.
>   ^C
>   Cancelling...
>   ^C
>
> (As you can see above, it takes two SIGINTs to stop it.)
>
> The patch suggested by born [1] is already included in 2.5.4 and
> obviously didn't fix the problem.
>
> What else can I try to get gphoto2 and my camera to work reliably?
>
> Nils

bad.txt (132K) Download Attachment

Re: gphoto2 hangs when connecting to EOS 20D for second time

m_ramone_m
Exact same problem here - anybody found a solution ?