Re: fastest way to download images from a camera

lee

Re: fastest way to download images from a camera

lee
Hello Tomas,

Thank you very much for your hint.
The capturing and downloading is really faster in shell mode.

But is there a way to define the location where the file are stored on my computer ?

i tried the „—filename" attribute, but it does not seem to work in shell mode …

gphoto stores the images always at my home directory.
perhaps this can changed somewhere ?

my system is mac osx 10.10

gphoto2         2.5.10         clang, popt(m), no exif, no cdk, no aa, jpeg, readline
libgphoto2      2.5.10         all camlibs, clang, ltdl, no EXIF
libgphoto2_port 0.12.0         clang, ltdl, USB, serial without locking

Thanks in advance,
Lee

> Hello gphoto list,
>
> I am a new gphoto user.
> It is really a great pice of software !
>
> I am trying capture jpg images and transfer it as fast as possible to my
> computer.
>
> My current setup is a
> - Sony A7, no storage card inside
> - Macbook Pro 10.10
>
> I am using the following terminal commands:
>
> killall PTPCamera
>
> gphoto2 --auto-detect
> gphoto2 --capture-image-and-download --no-keep --filename myfile28.jpg
>
> It works great and stable for hours, but it takes 3 Seconds to get a file.
> In debug mode i see, that many things happening every time i execute the
> capture command. Loading drivers, getting list of images on my camera and
> so on.
>
> So my question is:
> Is there a trick, to get the image faster without all these overhead ?
>
> If i use the Software "Capture One" i am able to get the images in 1 second.
>
> Also tested the Canon 7D, which has an USB3 port.
> Capture One: 1 second
> gphoto2: 3 seconds
>
> Perhaps someone has a hint for me.
>
> All the best,
> Lee

Yes, perfectly possible, just try the shell environment, gphoto2 --shell, and
then trigger the capture from there. Must faster and adequate for long
sessions.

Regards,
Tomas.

Re: fastest way to download images from a camera

Tomas Alonso
El Lunes, 14 de noviembre de 2016 16:18:08 lee escribió:

> Hello Tomas,
>
> Thank you very much for your hint.
> The capturing and downloading is really faster in shell mode.
>
> But is there a way to define the location where the file are stored on my
> computer ?
>
> i tried the „—filename" attribute, but it does not seem to work in shell
> mode …
>
> gphoto stores the images always at my home directory.
> perhaps this can changed somewhere ?
>

> my system is mac osx 10.10
>

> gphoto2         2.5.10         clang, popt(m), no exif, no cdk, no aa, jpeg,
> readline libgphoto2      2.5.10         all camlibs, clang, ltdl, no EXIF
> libgphoto2_port 0.12.0         clang, ltdl, USB, serial without locking
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Lee

I'm not sure, but probably the --filename option should be used before entering
shell mode. In addition, according to doc:

Default value for this option can be specified in the ~/.gphoto/settings file as
gphoto2=filename=value

You could try to use the settings file.

Regards,
Tomas.