Re: Canon EOS 5Ds - no shutter counter available in gphoto2

Re: Canon EOS 5Ds - no shutter counter available in gphoto2

Axel Waggershauser
Hi Dawid,

to the best of my knowlege, the 5Ds simply has no PTP accessible shutter counter anymore. I noticed it when I tested a 5Ds for the first time. My guess is that Canon simply removed that feature from the firmware.

 - Axel

On Tue, Jul 4, 2017 at 12:00 AM, Dawid Malina <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi gphoto support team,

I am struggling to read out the shutter count on my Canon EOS 5Ds Camera.

The camera is recognized in Ubuntu and I am even able to capture images etc.

But the shutter counter will not start.

Do you have an idea what is wrong?

I already tried multiple computers including different USB 2/USB3 ports.

Is it a problem that the camera has a USB 3.0 port itself?

You can find the reports attached.

Thanks for your help!

Kind regards

Dawid

Virenfrei. www.avast.com

Re: Canon EOS 5Ds - no shutter counter available in gphoto2

I looked at the debugtrace and the 0xd1ac value is empty and marked 0 byte long.
(d1ac would be the shuttercounter value)

So the trace seems to confirm the camera not returning any good values currently.

Ciao, Marcus

On Tue, Jul 04, 2017 at 01:06:19PM +0200, Axel Waggershauser wrote:

> Hi Dawid,
>
> to the best of my knowlege, the 5Ds simply has no PTP accessible shutter
> counter anymore. I noticed it when I tested a 5Ds for the first time. My
> guess is that Canon simply removed that feature from the firmware.
>
>  - Axel
>
> On Tue, Jul 4, 2017 at 12:00 AM, Dawid Malina <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi gphoto support team,
> >

> > I am struggling to read out the shutter count on my Canon EOS 5Ds Camera.
> >
> > The camera is recognized in Ubuntu and I am even able to capture images
> > etc.
> >
> > But the shutter counter will not start.
> >

> > Do you have an idea what is wrong?
> >
> > I already tried multiple computers including different USB 2/USB3 ports.
> >
> > Is it a problem that the camera has a USB 3.0 port itself?
> >

> > You can find the reports attached.
> >
> > Thanks for your help!
> >

> > Kind regards
> >
> > Dawid

> > <#m_-9206143039601943863_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

Marcus Meissner,SUSE LINUX GmbH; Maxfeldstrasse 5; D-90409 Nuernberg; Zi. 3.1-33,+49-911-740 53-432,,serv=loki,mail=wotan,type=real <[hidden email]>

Re: Canon EOS 5Ds - no shutter counter available in gphoto2

Dawid Malina
Hi Marcus and Axel,

thanks for your swift feedback!
The only thing I can further contribute is that the two programs "eosmsg" and "shuttercount" from direstudios have found a proven way to read out the shutter count from the new EOS series including the 5Ds.

So, in any way there must be another possibility to read it straight out of camera.

Kind regards
Dawid

Von: Marcus Meissner <[hidden email]>
Datum: 04.07.17 13:12 (GMT+01:00)
An: Axel Waggershauser <[hidden email]>
Cc: Dawid Malina <[hidden email]>, [hidden email]
Betreff: Re: [gphoto-devel] Canon EOS 5Ds - no shutter counter available in   gphoto2

Hi,

I looked at the debugtrace and the 0xd1ac value is empty and marked 0 byte long.
(d1ac would be the shuttercounter value)

So the trace seems to confirm the camera not returning any good values currently.

Ciao, Marcus

On Tue, Jul 04, 2017 at 01:06:19PM +0200, Axel Waggershauser wrote:

> Hi Dawid,
>
> to the best of my knowlege, the 5Ds simply has no PTP accessible shutter
> counter anymore. I noticed it when I tested a 5Ds for the first time. My
> guess is that Canon simply removed that feature from the firmware.
>
>  - Axel
>
> On Tue, Jul 4, 2017 at 12:00 AM, Dawid Malina <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi gphoto support team,
> >

> > I am struggling to read out the shutter count on my Canon EOS 5Ds Camera.
> >
> > The camera is recognized in Ubuntu and I am even able to capture images
> > etc.
> >
> > But the shutter counter will not start.
> >

> > Do you have an idea what is wrong?
> >
> > I already tried multiple computers including different USB 2/USB3 ports.
> >
> > Is it a problem that the camera has a USB 3.0 port itself?
> >

> > You can find the reports attached.
> >
> > Thanks for your help!
> >

> > Kind regards
> >
> > Dawid

> > <#m_-9206143039601943863_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

Marcus Meissner,SUSE LINUX GmbH; Maxfeldstrasse 5; D-90409 Nuernberg; Zi. 3.1-33,+49-911-740 53-432,,serv=loki,mail=wotan,type=real <[hidden email]>

Re: Canon EOS 5Ds - no shutter counter available in gphoto2

Rogier Wolff
On Tue, Jul 04, 2017 at 01:12:30PM +0200, Marcus Meissner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I looked at the debugtrace and the 0xd1ac value is empty and marked 0 byte long.
> (d1ac would be the shuttercounter value)

Does "0 byte long" mean: "this is not implemented" in the standard
way? Or is this "odd", in that it doesn't reply with: "not
implemented" but does return data, but length-zero?

In the second case, it looks to me as if they wanted to keep it
implemented, but have made a mistake during development....

        Roger.

--
** [hidden email] ** http://www.BitWizard.nl/ ** +31-15-2600998 **
**    Delftechpark 26 2628 XH  Delft, The Netherlands. KVK: 27239233    **

Re: Canon EOS 5Ds - no shutter counter available in gphoto2

Marcus Meissner
On Tue, Jul 04, 2017 at 02:14:35PM +0200, Rogier Wolff wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 04, 2017 at 01:12:30PM +0200, Marcus Meissner wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I looked at the debugtrace and the 0xd1ac value is empty and marked 0 byte long.
> > (d1ac would be the shuttercounter value)
>
> Does "0 byte long" mean: "this is not implemented" in the standard
> way? Or is this "odd", in that it doesn't reply with: "not
> implemented" but does return data, but length-zero?

> In the second case, it looks to me as if they wanted to keep it
> implemented, but have made a mistake during development....

It is odd that the camera still mentions the ID in its dump. It might be an
oversight / or might need some hidden setting to activate.