Problem setting capturetarget on Canon G9

Problem setting capturetarget on Canon G9

Cedric Scott
I'm using gphoto2 2.5.2 on Linux (Debian Jessie). My camera is a Canon G9

I can set capturetarget with gphoto using  --set-config-index but can't set it with --set-config-value

$ gphoto2 --get-config capturetarget
Label: Capture Target
Type: RADIO
Current: Internal RAM
Choice: 0 Internal RAM
Choice: 1 Memory card

I would have assumed that the default was capture to Memory Card. Now let's try setting it to Memory Card

$ gphoto2 --set-config-value "capturetarget=Memory Card"
$ gphoto2 --get-config capturetarget
Label: Capture Target
Type: RADIO
Current: Internal RAM
Choice: 0 Internal RAM
Choice: 1 Memory card

No. It's still set to Internal RAM

$ gphoto2 --set-config-value "capturetarget=Internal RAM"
$ gphoto2 --get-config capturetarget
Label: Capture Target
Type: RADIO
Current: Internal RAM
Choice: 0 Internal RAM
Choice: 1 Memory card

$ gphoto2 --set-config-index capturetarget=1
$ gphoto2 --get-config capturetarget
Label: Capture Target
Type: RADIO
Current: Memory card
Choice: 0 Internal RAM
Choice: 1 Memory card

Ah - that works

$ gphoto2 --set-config-index capturetarget=0
$ gphoto2 --get-config capturetarget
Label: Capture Target
Type: RADIO
Current: Internal RAM
Choice: 0 Internal RAM
Choice: 1 Memory card

And that works as well.

I've run the following command with debug and can send the file to anybody who's interested.

gphoto2 --debug --debug-logfile capture-target.txt \
 --get-config capturetarget \
 --set-config-value capturetarget="Memory Card" \
 --get-config capturetarget

As far as I can tell from the debug file, ghoto2 is setting capturetarget to Memory Card and is then setting it back to Internal RAM.

It would be a great help if I could use --set-config-value rather than --set-config-index and I'd love to know if this a bug or if it's caused by something I'm doing wrong.

Cedric

Re: Problem setting capturetarget on Canon G9

Marcus Meissner
On Sun, Nov 10, 2013 at 09:53:57PM +0000, Cedric Scott wrote:

> I'm using gphoto2 2.5.2 on Linux (Debian Jessie). My camera is a Canon G9
>
> I can set capturetarget with gphoto using  --set-config-index but can't set
> it with --set-config-value
>
> $ gphoto2 --get-config capturetarget
> Label: Capture Target
> Type: RADIO
> Current: Internal RAM
> Choice: 0 Internal RAM
> Choice: 1 Memory card
>
> I would have assumed that the default was capture to Memory Card. Now let's
> try setting it to Memory Card
>
> $ gphoto2 --set-config-value "capturetarget=Memory Card"

You probably need to use the correct string, including capitalization
"Memory card" with lowercase c.

> As far as I can tell from the debug file, ghoto2 is setting capturetarget
> to Memory Card and is then setting it back to Internal RAM.
>
> It would be a great help if I could use --set-config-value rather than
> --set-config-index and I'd love to know if this a bug or if it's caused by
> something I'm doing wrong.

"Memory card".

Re: Problem setting capturetarget on Canon G9

jvduijvenbode

have you maybe figured out why your camera resets to internal ram? I'm having the same problem, although with a Nikon camera...

On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 03:51:20PM -0700, jvduijvenbode wrote:
> Hi,
>
> have you maybe figured out why your camera resets to internal ram? I'm
> having the same problem, although with a Nikon camera...

The capturetarget is stored on the computer in the HOME directory of
the user, in $HOME/.gphoto/settings

Check if this file is there and writeable.

Especially in embedded platforms this might not be the case, which
would lead to a reset back to SDRAM (the default).