Port libgphoto to microcontroller

Martin Cervantes
Hi everyone,

I'm working on a project that involves controlling a DSLR, searching for existing projects I found libgphoto2 and was wondering if there has been any attempt to port it to other platform like a microcontoller Cortex M3 or M4.

Has anyone tried this?

Any directions, comments will be appreciated.

Thanks for your help,
Martin

Re: Port libgphoto to microcontroller

Hubert Figuière-2
On 23/10/13 03:49 PM, Martin Cervantes wrote:
> I'm working on a project that involves controlling a DSLR, searching for
> existing projects I found libgphoto2 and was wondering if there has been
> any attempt to port it to other platform like a microcontoller Cortex M3 or
> M4.
>
> Has anyone tried this?
>
> Any directions, comments will be appreciated.

If it runs Linux and has USB host it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Hub

Re: Port libgphoto to microcontroller

Martin Cervantes

Thanks Hubert, I saw that as an option but that will require a more complex microprocessor like a Cortex  A family.

I would be using an LPC1769 with RTOS.

Thanks anyway!

El oct 23, 2013 4:56 PM, "Hubert Figuière" <[hidden email]> escribió:
On 23/10/13 03:49 PM, Martin Cervantes wrote:
> I'm working on a project that involves controlling a DSLR, searching for
> existing projects I found libgphoto2 and was wondering if there has been
> any attempt to port it to other platform like a microcontoller Cortex M3 or
> M4.
>
> Has anyone tried this?
>
> Any directions, comments will be appreciated.

If it runs Linux and has USB host it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Hub

Re: Port libgphoto to microcontroller

Marcus Meissner-4
On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 06:05:34PM -0200, Martin Cervantes wrote:
> Thanks Hubert, I saw that as an option but that will require a more complex
> microprocessor like a Cortex  A family.
>
> I would be using an LPC1769 with RTOS.

Something UNIX like with a USB interface ... But well,
the more it deviates from UNIX / Linux the harder it will be.

Ciao, Marcus

> Thanks anyway!
> El oct 23, 2013 4:56 PM, "Hubert Figuière" <[hidden email]> escribió:
>
> > On 23/10/13 03:49 PM, Martin Cervantes wrote:
> > > I'm working on a project that involves controlling a DSLR, searching for
> > > existing projects I found libgphoto2 and was wondering if there has been
> > > any attempt to port it to other platform like a microcontoller Cortex M3
> > or
> > > M4.
> > >
> > > Has anyone tried this?
> > >
> > > Any directions, comments will be appreciated.
> >
> > If it runs Linux and has USB host it shouldn't be too much of a problem.
> >

> > Hub

Re: Port libgphoto to microcontroller

Popolon
I tried on linux/Cortex-A7 (on Cubieboard2), works perfecty. Cortex M is
from the same family and have common (but not all) instructions... so
perhaps try cortex-M linux version if there is, or common armhf distro
perhaps ???

Regards,

Popolon

Le 2013-10-23 21:55, Hubert Figuière a écrit :

> On 23/10/13 03:49 PM, Martin Cervantes wrote:
>> I'm working on a project that involves controlling a DSLR, searching
>> for
>> existing projects I found libgphoto2 and was wondering if there has
>> been
>> any attempt to port it to other platform like a microcontoller Cortex
>> M3 or
>> M4.
>>
>> Has anyone tried this?
>>
>> Any directions, comments will be appreciated.
>
> If it runs Linux and has USB host it shouldn't be too much of a
> problem.
>

> Hub

> Explore tips for MPI, OpenMP, advanced profiling, and more. Get the
> most from
> the latest Intel processors and coprocessors. See abstracts and
> register >
> http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=60135991&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk

Re: Port libgphoto to microcontroller

Rogier Wolff
On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 10:48:29PM +0200, Marcus Meissner wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 06:05:34PM -0200, Martin Cervantes wrote:
> > Thanks Hubert, I saw that as an option but that will require a more complex
> > microprocessor like a Cortex  A family.
> >
> > I would be using an LPC1769 with RTOS.
>
> Something UNIX like with a USB interface ... But well,
> the more it deviates from UNIX / Linux the harder it will be.

I'm not that familiar with RTOS. But if you program such a
cortex-M[34] bare-bones, the API to the USB interface is quite
different from the libusb interface that gphoto uses.

My guess would be that it would be possible to make a glue-layer
that looks "enough" like libusb for gphoto to work. But it's
not something where you can just compile, fix two syntax errrors
and go, but you'll actually have to program a "compatiblity layer".

        Roger.

--
** [hidden email] ** http://www.BitWizard.nl/ ** +31-15-2600998 **
**    Delftechpark 26 2628 XH  Delft, The Netherlands. KVK: 27239233    **

Re: Port libgphoto to microcontroller

Martin Cervantes
Hi Roger,

I agree, it wouldn't be so easy to fix a few compile errors. I would need to determine how libgphoto interfaces with libusb so I can program a a communication with the USB stack for Cortex-M.

Martin

** [hidden email] ** http://www.BitWizard.nl/ ** <a href="tel:%2B31-15-2600998" value="+31152600998">+31-15-2600998 **
**    Delftechpark 26 2628 XH  Delft, The Netherlands. KVK: 27239233    **
The plan was simple, like my brother-in-law Phil. But unlike
Phil, this plan just might work.

Re: Port libgphoto to microcontroller

Marcus Meissner
On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 09:19:59AM -0200, Martin Cervantes wrote:
> Hi Roger,
>
> I agree, it wouldn't be so easy to fix a few compile errors. I would need
> to determine how libgphoto interfaces with libusb so I can program a a
> communication with the USB stack for Cortex-M.

libgphoto2 has a "libgphoto2_port" abstraction level, where you
can plugin in new port drivers for different USB libraries.

So you could even add a different way to access usb devices (like with USBD.SYS
DeviceIoControls on Win32 might be possible).