No storage information available from Sony Alpha 7RII

No storage information available from Sony Alpha 7RII

Joshua Collins
Hi all,

Has anyone had any experience with using a Sony Alpha 7RII with gphoto2? I've found that --capture-image-and-download is working fine, but I can't get any storage information using gphoto2 --storage-info. When I run the command, no text output occurs after a progress bar disappears. Listing files and folders (-L and -l) also return empty sets, even though there are photos on the SD card.

USB LUN Mode is set to Single, the USB mode is set to "PC Remote" on the camera and USB Power Supply is off.
I'm using gphoto2 2.5.11-1, libgphoto 2.5.12-1,  libgphoto2-port12 2.5.12-1 on a predominantly Debian Jessie, armhf architecture system, with the extra dependencies pulled forward for libgphoto.

I've attached the output of --storage-info with --debug enabled, --summary and --summary with --debug enabled, in the hope that might be helpful.

Thanks,
Joshua Collins

summarynodebug (6K) Download Attachment
storageinfo (58K) Download Attachment
summary (420K) Download Attachment

Re: No storage information available from Sony Alpha 7RII

On Tue, Jul 18, 2017 at 07:08:49AM +0000, Joshua Collins wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Has anyone had any experience with using a Sony Alpha 7RII with gphoto2? I've found that --capture-image-and-download is working fine, but I can't get any storage information using gphoto2 --storage-info. When I run the command, no text output occurs after a progress bar disappears. Listing files and folders (-L and -l) also return empty sets, even though there are photos on the SD card.
>
> USB LUN Mode is set to Single, the USB mode is set to "PC Remote" on the camera and USB Power Supply is off.
> I'm using gphoto2 2.5.11-1, libgphoto 2.5.12-1,  libgphoto2-port12 2.5.12-1 on a predominantly Debian Jessie, armhf architecture system, with the extra dependencies pulled forward for libgphoto.
>
> I've attached the output of --storage-info with --debug enabled, --summary and --summary with --debug enabled, in the hope that might be helpful.

In MTP mode you can access the card storage of the Sony camera, but can not remote control it.

In PC Control mode (the one you are in) you can do remote control. But you can not access the storage
devices.

This is a firmware limitation.

It is not clear why Sony did it this way. :/