Nikon D3300 delay before taking a shot

Kostis Andrikopoulos
Hello,

I am a new user, and i have been trying to control my Nikon DSLR with
gphoto. Specifically, i use the python3 bindings [0] for libgphoto2.

My problem is that between the time that the capture function is called,
and the actual time that the camera shoots, there is a slight delay.

Is this expected behaviour? Can fix this? I include the script i am using.

Cheers,
Kostis

[0]: https://pypi.python.org/pypi/gphoto2

test.py (284 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: Nikon D3300 delay before taking a shot

Marcus Meissner
On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 11:41:39PM +0300, Kostis Andrikopoulos wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am a new user, and i have been trying to control my Nikon DSLR with
> gphoto. Specifically, i use the python3 bindings [0] for libgphoto2.
>
> My problem is that between the time that the capture function is called,
> and the actual time that the camera shoots, there is a slight delay.

How long is the delay? What is the libgphoto2 version in use?

> Is this expected behaviour? Can fix this? I include the script i am using.

The script seems fine.

Ciao, Marcus

> Cheers,
> Kostis
>

> [0]: https://pypi.python.org/pypi/gphoto2

> import gphoto2 as gp
>
> camera = gp.Camera()
> ctx = gp.Context()
> camera.init(ctx)
>
> _ = input("press enter to capture")
> cap = camera.capture(gp.GP_CAPTURE_IMAGE, ctx)
> photo = camera.file_get(cap.folder, cap.name, gp.GP_FILE_TYPE_NORMAL, ctx)
> photo.save("test.NEF")

Marcus Meissner,SUSE LINUX GmbH; Maxfeldstrasse 5; D-90409 Nuernberg; Zi. 3.1-33,+49-911-740 53-432,,serv=loki,mail=wotan,type=real <[hidden email]>

On 07/14/2017 12:08 PM, Marcus Meissner wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 11:41:39PM +0300, Kostis Andrikopoulos wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am a new user, and i have been trying to control my Nikon DSLR with
>> gphoto. Specifically, i use the python3 bindings [0] for libgphoto2.
>>
>> My problem is that between the time that the capture function is called,
>> and the actual time that the camera shoots, there is a slight delay.
>
> How long is the delay? What is the libgphoto2 version in use?

Between the line with the input() call and the camera taking the picture
there is a delay of about 1 second. maybe slightly less than that. It is
not very annoying, but it can cause you to miss some photos.

I use libgphoto2 2.5.14.1 (I have tested it on my laptop, and my
raspberry pi 2 model B, laptop runs archlinix, pi runs archlinux for arm)

One theory i have is that when the camera is unfocused, the script makes
it focus. So maybe the delay is the time the camera needs to check if it
is focused, and then shoot.