Quantcast

Newbie questions - capturing images from Canon PowerShow A520

Newbie questions - capturing images from Canon PowerShow A520

Jyri Hovila-3
Hello, world!

I finally bought my first digital camera in the hope that I could use
it as a high quality web camera. Naturally, I soon found myself from
a swamp of new and exotic problems. ;)

I'm using OpenBSD 3.7 and gphoto2 version 2.1.6. Gphoto does not
recognize the camera correctly (it's identified as 'Canon:PowerShot
SD400 (normal mode)'), but all the "offline" functions still work ok:
I can download files from the camera etc.

My question is: is it possible to capture images directly from the
camera using this version of gphoto2? I mean can I actually take
pictures using gphoto2 without touching the camera? If it is not
possible yet, could this kind of functionality be implemented in any
near-future version of gphoto?

Thanks in advance!

- Jyri

Re: Newbie questions - capturing images from Canon PowerShow A520

Marcus Meissner
On Tue, Sep 13, 2005 at 08:37:03PM +0300, Jyri Hovila wrote:

> Hello, world!
>
> I finally bought my first digital camera in the hope that I could use
> it as a high quality web camera. Naturally, I soon found myself from
> a swamp of new and exotic problems. ;)
>
> I'm using OpenBSD 3.7 and gphoto2 version 2.1.6. Gphoto does not
> recognize the camera correctly (it's identified as 'Canon:PowerShot
> SD400 (normal mode)'), but all the "offline" functions still work ok:
> I can download files from the camera etc.
>
> My question is: is it possible to capture images directly from the
> camera using this version of gphoto2? I mean can I actually take
> pictures using gphoto2 without touching the camera? If it is not
> possible yet, could this kind of functionality be implemented in any
> near-future version of gphoto?

Remote capture is not supported for the SD400.

Check:
http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=SDKHomePageAct&keycode=Sdk_Lic&fcategoryid=323&modelid=11158&id=3464

Re: Newbie questions - capturing images from Canon PowerShow A520

westin
Jyri Hovila <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hello, world!
>
> I finally bought my first digital camera in the hope that I could use
> it as a high quality web camera. Naturally, I soon found myself from
> a swamp of new and exotic problems. ;)
>
> I'm using OpenBSD 3.7 and gphoto2 version 2.1.6. Gphoto does not
> recognize the camera correctly (it's identified as 'Canon:PowerShot
> SD400 (normal mode)'), but all the "offline" functions still work ok:
> I can download files from the camera etc.

Hmm. Could you send me the output of "cat /proc/bus/usb/devices"?
It seems we got the product ID wrong for your camera.

> My question is: is it possible to capture images directly from the
> camera using this version of gphoto2? I mean can I actually take
> pictures using gphoto2 without touching the camera? If it is not
> possible yet, could this kind of functionality be implemented in any
> near-future version of gphoto?

Well, not if the camera doesn't have that capability. Some newer
Canon consumer cameras don't; check your Canon software manual.

--
-Stephen H. Westin

Re: Newbie questions - capturing images from Canon PowerShow A520

Jyri Hovila-3
Hi!

> Hmm. Could you send me the output of "cat /proc/bus/usb/devices"?
> It seems we got the product ID wrong for your camera.

OpenBSD does not have the /proc virtual filesystem. What kind of
information do you need exactly?

>> My question is: is it possible to capture images directly from the
>> camera using this version of gphoto2? I mean can I actually take
>> pictures using gphoto2 without touching the camera? If it is not
>> possible yet, could this kind of functionality be implemented in any
>> near-future version of gphoto?
>>

> Well, not if the camera doesn't have that capability. Some newer
> Canon consumer cameras don't; check your Canon software manual.

The camera does have this capability - it is possible to take
pictures using Canon's Windows / Mac software, which is one of the
most horrible specimen of software engineerin skill I've seen for a
while. =P

Yours,

Jyri

Re: Newbie questions - capturing images from Canon PowerShow A520

Hub Figuière-2
Jyri Hovila wrote:
> Hi!
>
>> Hmm. Could you send me the output of "cat /proc/bus/usb/devices"?
>> It seems we got the product ID wrong for your camera.
>

> OpenBSD does not have the /proc virtual filesystem. What kind of
> information do you need exactly?

lsusb -v

It will give you the USB IDs.

Hub

Re: Newbie questions - capturing images from Canon PowerShow A520

Jyri Hovila-3
Hi!

> lsusb -v

This command isn't available in OpenBSD either. I tried to compile
the (Linux) usbutils package, but it didn't work out.

Dmesg shows the following information:

     ugen0: Canon Inc. Canon Digital Camera, rev 1.10/0.01, addr 2

Jyri Hovila wrote:
> Hi!
>
>> lsusb -v
>

> This command isn't available in OpenBSD either. I tried to compile  the
> (Linux) usbutils package, but it didn't work out.

It is on FreeBSD as far as I remember. Check your documentation. It
should tell you how to get the information

> Dmesg shows the following information:
>
>     ugen0: Canon Inc. Canon Digital Camera, rev 1.10/0.01, addr 2

Which does provide NOTHING.

Hub

Re: Newbie questions - capturing images from Canon PowerShow A520

westin
Jyri Hovila <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi!
>
>> Hmm. Could you send me the output of "cat /proc/bus/usb/devices"?
>> It seems we got the product ID wrong for your camera.
>
> OpenBSD does not have the /proc virtual filesystem. What kind of
> information do you need exactly?

Well, I'm looking for the product ID for your camera. It might be even
more helpful to send me the complete --debug output from, say, gphoto2
--list-all-files -R.

--
-Stephen H. Westin