Liveview and capture performance with Nikon D5200 and Canon 650D

Liveview and capture performance with Nikon D5200 and Canon 650D

Stefan Mehner
Hello,

I' working on something like a python based photobooth using libgphoto2
2.5.10. Currently my project is based on the work of RTIAcquire
(https://github.com/jcupitt/rtiacquire) which uses ctypes as the wrapper
to gphoto.
My goal is to have a smooth liveview and a fast capturing for a nice
user experience.
Its working fine so far. I get some error messages after capturing like,
but its working nevertheless:

     >> error - ptp_usb_getresp [usb.c:438]: PTP_OC 0x90c8 receiving
resp failed: PTP Device Busy (0x2019)

I have a Nikon D5200 and a Canon 650D to compare the perfomance for my
solution and two systems.

My develoment system:
     - Intel Core i7
     - 16GB RAM
     - Ubuntu 16.04 x64

My "production system":
     - Intel Celeton N3050
     - 4GB RAM
     - Xubuntu 16.04 x86

The liveview performance on my dev system:
     - Nikon: 30fps
     - Canon: 18fps

On my production system:
     - Nikon: 25fps
     - Canon: 10fps

All in all I have a loop that get the  current preview frame as fast as
possible. What depends on the performance of the liveview? The CPU
utilization is at about 50% to 60% and about 700MB of RAM is used.

Has anybody some experiences how to improve the liveview performance?
Furthermore why the Canon's liveview performance is so bad? I know, that
the resolution of the Nikon liveview is 640x426 px and the Canon has
1024x680 px, but I cannot believe that this is the (only) reason.

Furthermore the capture -> download to SSD -> show on screen performance
is nearly the same on both systems but different with the cameras:
     - Nikon: ~6sec
     - Canon: ~1sec

When the Nikon captures an image, the mirror clicks up, then nothing
happens and after the 6sec there are two quieter clicks and then the
image is ready. The Canon camera only clicks when it captures and I have
the image file immediately.

Has anybody an idea why the Nikon is 'blocking' this time and how to fix it?

Liveview and capture performance with Nikon D5200 and Canon 650D

Stefan Mehner
Hello,

I' working on something like a python based photobooth using libgphoto2
2.5.10. Currently my project is based on the work of RTIAcquire
(https://github.com/jcupitt/rtiacquire) which uses ctypes as the wrapper
to gphoto.
My goal is to have a smooth liveview and a fast capturing for a nice
user experience.
Its working fine so far. I get some error messages after capturing like,
but its working nevertheless:

     >> error - ptp_usb_getresp [usb.c:438]: PTP_OC 0x90c8 receiving
resp failed: PTP Device Busy (0x2019)

I have a Nikon D5200 and a Canon 650D to compare the perfomance for my
solution and two systems.

My develoment system:
     - Intel Core i7
     - 16GB RAM
     - Ubuntu 16.04 x64

My "production system":
     - Intel Celeton N3050
     - 4GB RAM
     - Xubuntu 16.04 x86

The liveview performance on my dev system:
     - Nikon: 30fps
     - Canon: 18fps

On my production system:
     - Nikon: 25fps
     - Canon: 10fps

All in all I have a loop that get the  current preview frame as fast as
possible. What depends on the performance of the liveview? The CPU
utilization is at about 50% to 60% and about 700MB of RAM is used.

Has anybody some experiences how to improve the liveview performance?
Furthermore why the Canon's liveview performance is so bad? I know, that
the resolution of the Nikon liveview is 640x426 px and the Canon has
1024x680 px, but I cannot believe that this is the (only) reason.

Furthermore the capture -> download to SSD -> show on screen performance
is nearly the same on both systems but different with the cameras:
     - Nikon: ~6sec
     - Canon: ~1sec

When the Nikon captures an image, the mirror clicks up, then nothing
happens and after the 6sec there are two quieter clicks and then the
image is ready. The Canon camera only clicks when it captures and I have
the image file immediately.

Has anybody an idea why the Nikon is 'blocking' this time and how to fix
it?

Best regards,

Stefan