Live view preview capture on Nikon 1 series over USB ?

Live view preview capture on Nikon 1 series over USB ?

Daniel P. Berrange
libgphoto2 does not currently report GP_OPERATION_CAPTURE_PREVIEW for
the Nikon 1 cameras when connected via USB.  If I none the less invoke
'capture-preview' on a Nikon J3 in gphoto shell, it reports

  Sorry, your Nikon camera does not seem to return a JPEG image in LiveView mode

because  ptp_nikon_get_liveview_image returned a zero length data
array.

If I connect to the J3 via the WU-1B wireless adapter instead, then
it does report GP_OPERATION_CAPTURE_PREVIEW as supported, and running
capture-preview operates normally, returning a jpeg image.

Does anyone have ideas as to why it would not work with USB, but work
with PTPIP ?  IIUC, the WU-1B adapter is essentially just a USB device
that acts as a dumb PTPIP -> PTP bridge, so naively I would expect
anything that works with PTPIP, to also with with PTP over USB as the
camera shouldn't care whether its connected to a laptop over USB or
to the WU-1B USB device.

Regards,
Daniel
--
|: https://berrange.com      -o-    https://www.flickr.com/photos/dberrange :|
|: https://libvirt.org         -o-            https://fstop138.berrange.com :|

Re: Live view preview capture on Nikon 1 series over USB ?

On Tue, Aug 01, 2017 at 11:10:20PM +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:

> libgphoto2 does not currently report GP_OPERATION_CAPTURE_PREVIEW for
> the Nikon 1 cameras when connected via USB.  If I none the less invoke
> 'capture-preview' on a Nikon J3 in gphoto shell, it reports
>
>   Sorry, your Nikon camera does not seem to return a JPEG image in LiveView mode
>
> because  ptp_nikon_get_liveview_image returned a zero length data
> array.
>
> If I connect to the J3 via the WU-1B wireless adapter instead, then
> it does report GP_OPERATION_CAPTURE_PREVIEW as supported, and running
> capture-preview operates normally, returning a jpeg image.
>
> Does anyone have ideas as to why it would not work with USB, but work
> with PTPIP ?  IIUC, the WU-1B adapter is essentially just a USB device
> that acts as a dumb PTPIP -> PTP bridge, so naively I would expect
> anything that works with PTPIP, to also with with PTP over USB as the
> camera shouldn't care whether its connected to a laptop over USB or
> to the WU-1B USB device.

I tried finding out how to make the liveview also work over USB, but
did not succeed on my J3.

Yeah, it does not make sense as you write :/