Image Capture Compatibility for Canon EOS M10

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Image Capture Compatibility for Canon EOS M10

David Peace Hung

Hello,

I am writing to inquire about gphoto2's compatibilities with the Canon EOS M10. It is not listed on the supported camera list, but the camera does support PictBridge. Can I use gphoto to capture images (triggered remotely from a computer) without modification of the source code? If not, what kind of changes should I anticipate making, and are there any guides on follow to go about developing such functionality?

Thanks,
David Hung
University of Arizona

Sent from my phone. Please excuse any typos.


------------------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
Gphoto-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gphoto-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Image Capture Compatibility for Canon EOS M10

Marcus Meissner-4
On Tue, Nov 15, 2016 at 05:13:29PM -0700, David Peace Hung wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am writing to inquire about gphoto2's compatibilities with the Canon EOS
> M10. It is not listed on the supported camera list, but the camera does
> support PictBridge. Can I use gphoto to capture images (triggered remotely
> from a computer) without modification of the source code? If not, what kind
> of changes should I anticipate making, and are there any guides on follow
> to go about developing such functionality?

So far we had no knowledge of the Canon EOS M series.

It is not clear if they support capture, test with the M2 and M3 showed no success with our
current methods.

Likely the M10 also does not work.

Two things are responsible for it:
- the camera firmware might not support remote control at all
- the camera vendor specific opcodes are not documented / known to us

Is there a windows app that can remote capture on this camera?

Can you send a debug logfile?

gphoto2 --debug --debug-logfile=xx.log --summary

Ciao, Marcus

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
Gphoto-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gphoto-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Image Capture Compatibility for Canon EOS M10

Fazekas László
Hello Marcus,

I think the EOS M series has no remote capture support (Dragonframe also
not working with them) but it has infrared remote option (RC6).

Take a look at this:

https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=11930.0

Fazek

2016-11-16 12:43 keltezéssel, Marcus Meissner írta:

> On Tue, Nov 15, 2016 at 05:13:29PM -0700, David Peace Hung wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am writing to inquire about gphoto2's compatibilities with the Canon EOS
>> M10. It is not listed on the supported camera list, but the camera does
>> support PictBridge. Can I use gphoto to capture images (triggered remotely
>> from a computer) without modification of the source code? If not, what kind
>> of changes should I anticipate making, and are there any guides on follow
>> to go about developing such functionality?
> So far we had no knowledge of the Canon EOS M series.
>
> It is not clear if they support capture, test with the M2 and M3 showed no success with our
> current methods.
>
> Likely the M10 also does not work.
>
> Two things are responsible for it:
> - the camera firmware might not support remote control at all
> - the camera vendor specific opcodes are not documented / known to us
>
> Is there a windows app that can remote capture on this camera?
>
> Can you send a debug logfile?
>
> gphoto2 --debug --debug-logfile=xx.log --summary
>
> Ciao, Marcus
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> _______________________________________________
> Gphoto-devel mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gphoto-devel
>
>


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
Gphoto-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gphoto-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Image Capture Compatibility for Canon EOS M10

David Peace Hung
In reply to this post by Marcus Meissner-4
Hi Marcus,

I don't actually have the EOS M10; I'm currently checking for compatibility before purchasing the camera, so will be unable to send you a debug file.

The EOS M10 appears to support remote shooting with the EOS Utility Windows application. However, the EOS M3 is also supported by said utility, even though it doesn't seem to work with your current methods. 

Do you know of any cameras with similar characteristics (size, weight, resolution, ISO, price, etc) that do support remote shooting via Linux which you'd suggest? I will look through the list of gphoto supported cameras later today, but it would be quite helpful if you knew any off the top of your head.

Best regards,

David Hung
President | Arizona Autonomous Vehicles Club
Junior | Electrical and Computer Engineering

On Wed, Nov 16, 2016 at 4:43 AM, Marcus Meissner <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, Nov 15, 2016 at 05:13:29PM -0700, David Peace Hung wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am writing to inquire about gphoto2's compatibilities with the Canon EOS
> M10. It is not listed on the supported camera list, but the camera does
> support PictBridge. Can I use gphoto to capture images (triggered remotely
> from a computer) without modification of the source code? If not, what kind
> of changes should I anticipate making, and are there any guides on follow
> to go about developing such functionality?

So far we had no knowledge of the Canon EOS M series.

It is not clear if they support capture, test with the M2 and M3 showed no success with our
current methods.

Likely the M10 also does not work.

Two things are responsible for it:
- the camera firmware might not support remote control at all
- the camera vendor specific opcodes are not documented / known to us

Is there a windows app that can remote capture on this camera?

Can you send a debug logfile?

gphoto2 --debug --debug-logfile=xx.log --summary

Ciao, Marcus


------------------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
Gphoto-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gphoto-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Image Capture Compatibility for Canon EOS M10

David Peace Hung
Hi Marcus,

Thanks again for the help. I was looking through the list of supported remote controlling cameras and found some promising options, but was also curious about some newer cameras that were not listed on the page. I understand the main issue is that Canon largely discontinued their support for remote shooting with their newer cameras, but I'm hoping their support for remote control using a mobile app might translate into a similar functionality on Linux. Could you please check into the remote capture compatibility of the following cameras for me?
  • Canon Powershot S100 (The newer 12.1 MP version, released in 2011)
  • Canon Powershot G16
  • Canon Powershot G7 X
  • Canon Powershot G9 X
  • Nikon D3200
 Thanks so much!

Best regards,

David Hung
President | Arizona Autonomous Vehicles Club
Junior | Electrical and Computer Engineering

On Wed, Nov 16, 2016 at 10:14 AM, David Peace Hung <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Marcus,

I don't actually have the EOS M10; I'm currently checking for compatibility before purchasing the camera, so will be unable to send you a debug file.

The EOS M10 appears to support remote shooting with the EOS Utility Windows application. However, the EOS M3 is also supported by said utility, even though it doesn't seem to work with your current methods. 

Do you know of any cameras with similar characteristics (size, weight, resolution, ISO, price, etc) that do support remote shooting via Linux which you'd suggest? I will look through the list of gphoto supported cameras later today, but it would be quite helpful if you knew any off the top of your head.

Best regards,

David Hung
President | Arizona Autonomous Vehicles Club
Junior | Electrical and Computer Engineering

On Wed, Nov 16, 2016 at 4:43 AM, Marcus Meissner <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, Nov 15, 2016 at 05:13:29PM -0700, David Peace Hung wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am writing to inquire about gphoto2's compatibilities with the Canon EOS
> M10. It is not listed on the supported camera list, but the camera does
> support PictBridge. Can I use gphoto to capture images (triggered remotely
> from a computer) without modification of the source code? If not, what kind
> of changes should I anticipate making, and are there any guides on follow
> to go about developing such functionality?

So far we had no knowledge of the Canon EOS M series.

It is not clear if they support capture, test with the M2 and M3 showed no success with our
current methods.

Likely the M10 also does not work.

Two things are responsible for it:
- the camera firmware might not support remote control at all
- the camera vendor specific opcodes are not documented / known to us

Is there a windows app that can remote capture on this camera?

Can you send a debug logfile?

gphoto2 --debug --debug-logfile=xx.log --summary

Ciao, Marcus



------------------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
Gphoto-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gphoto-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Image Capture Compatibility for Canon EOS M10

Marcus Meissner
Hi,

On Thu, Nov 17, 2016 at 12:00:11AM -0700, David Peace Hung wrote:

> Hi Marcus,
>
> Thanks again for the help. I was looking through the list of supported
> remote controlling cameras and found some promising options, but was also
> curious about some newer cameras that were not listed on the page. I
> understand the main issue is that Canon largely discontinued their support
> for remote shooting with their newer cameras, but I'm hoping their support
> for remote control using a mobile app might translate into a similar
> functionality on Linux. Could you please check into the remote capture
> compatibility of the following cameras for me?
>
>    - Canon Powershot S100 (The newer 12.1 MP version, released in 2011)
>    - Canon Powershot G16
>    - Canon Powershot G7 X
>    - Canon Powershot G9 X
>    - Nikon D3200


Same size as a EOS M is a bit difficult :(

Nikon 1 works to some degree and would be similar sized.
Cheap Canon EOS DSLR ? EOS 1200?

Yes, canon discontinued the usb remote capture support some years ago :/

They however allow some stuff over WIFI on those cameras. (Not sure which
protocol, it might not be PTP/IP.)

For the Nikon D3200 we have some degree of support. None of the other Canon
Powershots you list have support as far as we know.

There is hover a third party addon for Canon Powershot called "CHDK", which allows
remote capture over USB. It is a bit hacky.

Ciao, Marcus

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
Gphoto-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gphoto-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Image Capture Compatibility for Canon EOS M10

kemeny
Hi David,

Just to add to what Marcus said I use gphoto to control multiple Nikon D3200s and it works really well for what I need them to do - mainly just capturing single images and bursts as well as remotely changing camera settings. The only thing I’ve wanted to do but couldn’t is to capture video (don’t think this is possible remotely with the D3200) or to stream liveview (think this *is* possible but haven’t properly explored how yet)

Thanks,

Adam

Adam Kemeny
+44 7930 533680
Photobot.Co
Photobooths with Personality
We're on FacebookTwitter and Instagram



On 17 Nov 2016, at 22:49, Marcus Meissner <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

On Thu, Nov 17, 2016 at 12:00:11AM -0700, David Peace Hung wrote:
Hi Marcus,

Thanks again for the help. I was looking through the list of supported
remote controlling cameras and found some promising options, but was also
curious about some newer cameras that were not listed on the page. I
understand the main issue is that Canon largely discontinued their support
for remote shooting with their newer cameras, but I'm hoping their support
for remote control using a mobile app might translate into a similar
functionality on Linux. Could you please check into the remote capture
compatibility of the following cameras for me?

  - Canon Powershot S100 (The newer 12.1 MP version, released in 2011)
  - Canon Powershot G16
  - Canon Powershot G7 X
  - Canon Powershot G9 X
  - Nikon D3200


Same size as a EOS M is a bit difficult :(

Nikon 1 works to some degree and would be similar sized.
Cheap Canon EOS DSLR ? EOS 1200?

Yes, canon discontinued the usb remote capture support some years ago :/

They however allow some stuff over WIFI on those cameras. (Not sure which
protocol, it might not be PTP/IP.)

For the Nikon D3200 we have some degree of support. None of the other Canon
Powershots you list have support as far as we know.

There is hover a third party addon for Canon Powershot called "CHDK", which allows
remote capture over USB. It is a bit hacky.

Ciao, Marcus

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
Gphoto-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gphoto-devel


------------------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
Gphoto-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gphoto-devel