Quantcast

Gphoto support for camera Panasonic DMC-G81 (G80/G85)

Gphoto support for camera Panasonic DMC-G81 (G80/G85)

Detlef Herrmann

Hello gphoto developers,

I'm an owner of the relatively new Panasonic model Lumix DMC-G81, which is sold in other countries under the designation DMC-G80 and DMC-G85. Of course, I'd really like to see my camera supported by gphoto as I am using darktable for raw development and it would be great, if I could use the tethering feature of darktable as well.

When I connect the camera to my notebook via USB (PictBridge mode) and run --auto-detect, it shows up as Panasonic DMC-FS62 (see attached auto-detect.txt). Also attached are the respective outputs of the --summary, --list-all-config and --capture-image commands.

Despite gphoto2 identifies the camera model incorrectly, importing photos from the camera works like it is supposed to. Unfortunately capturing images remotely seems to be unsupported at all. Panasonic offers an app for android and IOS mobile devices, that is able to remote control the camera via WiFi connection - so at least it is possible to capture images remotely.

I'd be glad, if this could be of any help. Thanks for reading and keep up the great work.

Kind regards

--

Detlef Herrmann
Madrider Ring 1

Telefon: +49 (931) 45 32 35 44
Telefax: +49 (931) 45 32 01 79
Mobil: +49 (160) 99 36 58 42

auto-detect.txt (212 bytes) Download Attachment
capture.txt (842 bytes) Download Attachment
config.txt (1K) Download Attachment
summary.txt (2K) Download Attachment

Re: Gphoto support for camera Panasonic DMC-G81 (G80/G85)

Marcus Meissner-4
On Fri, Jan 27, 2017 at 12:46:52AM +0100, Detlef Herrmann wrote:

> Hello gphoto developers,
>
> I'm an owner of the relatively new Panasonic model Lumix DMC-G81, which is
> sold in other countries under the designation DMC-G80 and DMC-G85. Of
> course, I'd really like to see my camera supported by gphoto as I am using
> darktable for raw development and it would be great, if I could use the
> tethering feature of darktable as well.
>
> When I connect the camera to my notebook via USB (PictBridge mode) and run
> --auto-detect, it shows up as Panasonic DMC-FS62 (see attached
> auto-detect.txt). Also attached are the respective outputs of the --summary,
> --list-all-config and --capture-image commands.
>
> Despite gphoto2 identifies the camera model incorrectly, importing photos
> from the camera works like it is supposed to. Unfortunately capturing images
> remotely seems to be unsupported at all. Panasonic offers an app for android
> and IOS mobile devices, that is able to remote control the camera via WiFi
> connection - so at least it is possible to capture images remotely.
>
> I'd be glad, if this could be of any help. Thanks for reading and keep up
> the great work.

Thanks for the report! The USB id used is shared by several Panasonic models,
thats why you see the incorrect name.

Capture over USB does not seem to be supported for this Panasonic class,
only over WLAN.

This might be doing PTPIP, which we would support, or they might have invented
yet another remote protocol :/