D90 : activate Liveview with USB for ManualFocus setting

D90 : activate Liveview with USB for ManualFocus setting

ecocentric
Dear all,

I would like to make a script for focus stacking with gphoto2 and other
free software.

My APN is a Nikon D90.

The capture image function works well.

I tried to manage the focus with :

gphoto2 --set-config /main/actions/manualfocusdrive=-50

I have an error saying I must be in Liveview mode to succeed.

My problem is : when I put the USB cable on the D90, the Liveview is
disconnected ; if I try to activate again the Liveview by pushing the
Liveview button, it doesn't work.

Do you have a solution for that problem ? How may I use gphoto2 with USB
cable and get Liveview in the same time with Nikon D90 ?

Robert.

Re: D90 : activate Liveview with USB for ManualFocus setting

Michal
You can enable liveview only with "capture-preview" or "capture-movie" commands, but the catch is you can't use them simultaneously with focus setting and taking a photo commands when using gphoto in CLI mode.

So you have to run gphoto in shell mode and 1. enable liveview, 2. set focus, 3. take the photo. gphoto shell commands for that look something like this:

gphoto2 --shell
gphoto2: /> capture-preview
Saving file as capture_preview.jpg
gphoto2: /> set-config /main/actions/manualfocusdrive=-500
gphoto2: /> capture-image-and-download

Then you set new focus value and take another photo. Check if it works and if it does we can talk about interactive mode scripting.

Best regards
Michal

Re: D90 : activate Liveview with USB for ManualFocus setting

Marcus Meissner-4
On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 05:21:16PM -0700, Michal wrote:

> You can enable liveview only with "capture-preview" or "capture-movie"
> commands, but the catch is you can't use them simultaneously with focus
> setting and taking a photo commands when using gphoto in CLI mode.
>
> So you have to run gphoto in shell mode and 1. enable liveview, 2. set
> focus, 3. take the photo. gphoto shell commands for that look something like
> this:
>
> gphoto2 --shell
> gphoto2: /> capture-preview
> Saving file as capture_preview.jpg
> gphoto2: /> set-config /main/actions/manualfocusdrive=-500
> gphoto2: /> capture-image-and-download
>
> Then you set new focus value and take another photo. Check if it works and
> if it does we can talk about interactive mode scripting.

Yes, correct.

But it probably is better to use a program using libgphoto2 ...

darktable e.g. implements this (but seems only doing the Canon variant).

Re: D90 : activate Liveview with USB for ManualFocus setting

ecocentric
Hi,

Thank you very much for your help.

According to my experience with Nikon D90, Nikon D300 and Canon EOS 500,
the support for D90 in gphoto2 is problematic, for example
capture-image-and-download doesn't work (but it is fine with Canon EOS),
I must do a capture-image followed by a get-all-images with a pause
between the two commands.

In the example that was given below, capture-image doesn't work because
of "PTP Device Busy" error. Do you have a feedback about that ?

I intend to test three things :

- Update the firmware of the D90 in order to check if it solves
problems.
- Test the proposed code with a Nikon D750 in order to compare the
behavior with Nikon D90 (I lack the appropriate squared USB cable).
- Test the proposed code with a Canon EOS in order to compare the
behavior with Nikon.

If you are interested in my tests I will post on the user mailing list
after doing them.

Regards,
Robert.

Le 2017-07-11 09:01, Marcus Meissner a écrit :

> On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 05:21:16PM -0700, Michal wrote:
>> You can enable liveview only with "capture-preview" or "capture-movie"
>> commands, but the catch is you can't use them simultaneously with
>> focus
>> setting and taking a photo commands when using gphoto in CLI mode.
>>
>> So you have to run gphoto in shell mode and 1. enable liveview, 2. set
>> focus, 3. take the photo. gphoto shell commands for that look
>> something like
>> this:
>>
>> gphoto2 --shell
>> gphoto2: /> capture-preview
>> Saving file as capture_preview.jpg
>> gphoto2: /> set-config /main/actions/manualfocusdrive=-500
>> gphoto2: /> capture-image-and-download
>>
>> Then you set new focus value and take another photo. Check if it works
>> and
>> if it does we can talk about interactive mode scripting.
>
> Yes, correct.
>
> But it probably is better to use a program using libgphoto2 ...
>
> darktable e.g. implements this (but seems only doing the Canon
> variant).
>
> Ciao, Marcus

Re: D90 : activate Liveview with USB for ManualFocus setting

Michal
I've just checked the example with my D5200 and it works as it should.

It's hard to belive D90 doesn't support fundamental feature such as capture-image-and-download while it's listed on gphoto's "Supported camera" page with all features support. What's more when I started playing with gphoto I was using D40 which is older than D90 and I didn't experience any problems with it.

I remember D40 had a really nice feature which was internal RAM - you could take a photo w/o a SD card so capture-and-download transfer was really fast (for D5200 it takes ca. 4 seconds). You could switch between "Internal" and "SD card" options in the camera menu or via gphoto config. I think "PTP busy" error occured when SD card was selected for storage but the card was missing or was full.

I guess D90 is also the generation with internal memory so start with checking if your SD card is ok or switch to internal storage and try the example again.

Regards
Michal

ecocentric wrote

On Wed, Jul 12, 2017 at 03:16:20PM +0200, Robert VISEUR wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thank you very much for your help.
>
> According to my experience with Nikon D90, Nikon D300 and Canon EOS 500, the
> support for D90 in gphoto2 is problematic, for example
> capture-image-and-download doesn't work (but it is fine with Canon EOS), I
> must do a capture-image followed by a get-all-images with a pause between
> the two commands.
>
> In the example that was given below, capture-image doesn't work because of
> "PTP Device Busy" error. Do you have a feedback about that ?
>
> I intend to test three things :
>
> - Update the firmware of the D90 in order to check if it solves problems.
> - Test the proposed code with a Nikon D750 in order to compare the behavior
> with Nikon D90 (I lack the appropriate squared USB cable).
> - Test the proposed code with a Canon EOS in order to compare the behavior
> with Nikon.
>
> If you are interested in my tests I will post on the user mailing list after
> doing them.

I took out my D90 and tried it ...

$ gphoto2 --capture-preview --capture-image-and-download --capture-preview
File capture_preview.jpg exists. Overwrite? [y|n] y
Saving file as capture_preview.jpg
New file is in location /capt0000.jpg on the camera
Saving file as capt0000.jpg
Deleting file /capt0000.jpg on the camera

*** Error ***
Nikon enable liveview failed (0xa004: Invalid Status)
$

reenabling live view does not seem to work, have to check that.

But simple gphoto2  --capture-image-and-download  works.