D800 Tethering- progressbar keeps loading forever

D800 Tethering- progressbar keeps loading forever

Christian Koch
Hi,
I have an issue when using gphoto2 with a Nikon D800E. I have used it for a day or two to find out about the capabilities of this awesome lib / program, so I used the features capture-image, capture-image-and-download, capture-preview.
I also viewed the config options available, got some using get-config, set some (especially the ISO and Autofocus settings).
After a few days fiddling around with it the Camera started getting less reliable. Now I can take a photo only once, then the progressbar on the camera top display (diplaying only PC and a progressbar) keeps loading but never terminates. I can't take any other shots then, the only solution is to disconnect the USB cable or sometimes also to remove the battery. I tried resetting the camera (buttons on the top) but that didn't help, I also tried loading a new firmware to get rid of any misconfiguration but also no changes then.
Is it possible that the use of gphoto2 leads to an internal misconfiguration of the Camera (e.g. USB connection settings). Are there any other possible reasons for this type of problem.
All help is very much appreciated, thanks in advance.
Best regards
Chris

Re: D800 Tethering- progressbar keeps loading forever

This is the first time I hear about it.

libgphoto2 does not do any changes within the camera that should persist
over a powercycle.

Is the capture going over the SD Card? This card could be full?

weird :(

Ciao, Marcus

On Mon, Aug 08, 2016 at 11:28:54AM +0200, Christian Koch wrote:

> Hi,
> I have an issue when using gphoto2 with a Nikon D800E. I have used it for a
> day or two to find out about the capabilities of this awesome lib /
> program, so I used the features capture-image, capture-image-and-download,
> capture-preview.
> I also viewed the config options available, got some using get-config, set
> some (especially the ISO and Autofocus settings).
> After a few days fiddling around with it the Camera started getting less
> reliable. Now I can take a photo only once, then the progressbar on the
> camera top display (diplaying only PC and a progressbar) keeps loading but
> never terminates. I can't take any other shots then, the only solution is
> to disconnect the USB cable or sometimes also to remove the battery. I
> tried resetting the camera (buttons on the top) but that didn't help, I
> also tried loading a new firmware to get rid of any misconfiguration but
> also no changes then.
> Is it possible that the use of gphoto2 leads to an internal
> misconfiguration of the Camera (e.g. USB connection settings). Are there
> any other possible reasons for this type of problem.
> All help is very much appreciated, thanks in advance.
> Best regards
> Chris

Marcus Meissner,SUSE LINUX GmbH; Maxfeldstrasse 5; D-90409 Nuernberg; Zi. 3.1-33,+49-911-740 53-432,,serv=loki,mail=wotan,type=real <[hidden email]>

Re: D800 Tethering- progressbar keeps loading forever

Christian Koch
Hi,
the Camera captures to an SD Card but this Card still has a capacity of about 300 pictures. Another possibility would be that something on the USB side got damaged electrically by hotplugging / -unplugging the cable lots of times maybe?! but also not very likely.
I attached two logfiles with the debug output. Maybe someone can help me on finding out the reasons for this problem.

In detail:
gphoto2 --auto-detect :
seems to work normally (see file gphoto_autodetect.txt)

gphoto2 --capture-image:
debug information in file gphoto_captureimage.txt
Looks normal until line 1102, releases the shutter, then sends information about the captured image
then stuff gets weird, the gp_port_read command is repeated over and over, I compared the results using diff, they are different (checked the first of them).
The whole log file had about 28,8 MB, I removed the successive gp_read requests and responses (from line 5270).
The camera then displays the running progress bar and the label "PC", nothing else. When I pressed Ctrl+C (line 5326) the program didn't exit. When I removed the USB cable from the camera it terminated. The progress bar was still showing on the camera, I had to remove the battery to get it back to normal shooting mode.

Any ideas what happens there?

Regards
Chris

This is the first time I hear about it.

libgphoto2 does not do any changes within the camera that should persist
over a powercycle.

Is the capture going over the SD Card? This card could be full?

weird :(

Ciao, Marcus

On Mon, Aug 08, 2016 at 11:28:54AM +0200, Christian Koch wrote:
> Hi,
> I have an issue when using gphoto2 with a Nikon D800E. I have used it for a
> day or two to find out about the capabilities of this awesome lib /
> program, so I used the features capture-image, capture-image-and-download,
> capture-preview.
> I also viewed the config options available, got some using get-config, set
> some (especially the ISO and Autofocus settings).
> After a few days fiddling around with it the Camera started getting less
> reliable. Now I can take a photo only once, then the progressbar on the
> camera top display (diplaying only PC and a progressbar) keeps loading but
> never terminates. I can't take any other shots then, the only solution is
> to disconnect the USB cable or sometimes also to remove the battery. I
> tried resetting the camera (buttons on the top) but that didn't help, I
> also tried loading a new firmware to get rid of any misconfiguration but
> also no changes then.
> Is it possible that the use of gphoto2 leads to an internal
> misconfiguration of the Camera (e.g. USB connection settings). Are there
> any other possible reasons for this type of problem.
> All help is very much appreciated, thanks in advance.
> Best regards
> Chris

Marcus Meissner,SUSE LINUX GmbH; Maxfeldstrasse 5; D-90409 Nuernberg; Zi. 3.1-33,<a href="tel:%2B49-911-740%2053-432" value="+4991174053432" target="_blank">+49-911-740 53-432,,serv=loki,mail=wotan,type=real <[hidden email]>

gphoto_autodetect.txt (37K) Download Attachment
gphoto_captureimage.txt (526K) Download Attachment

Re: D800 Tethering- progressbar keeps loading forever

There actually was a bug that I fixed for 2.5.10 on deleting SDRAM images.

I see this bug in your trace.

Can you try updating to libgphoto 2.5.10 and see if that makes it better?

Ciao, Marcus
On Mon, Aug 08, 2016 at 03:06:51PM +0200, Christian Koch wrote:

> [...]
> > > never terminates. I can't take any other shots then, the only solution is
> > > to disconnect the USB cable or sometimes also to remove the battery. I
> > > tried resetting the camera (buttons on the top) but that didn't help, I
> > > also tried loading a new firmware to get rid of any misconfiguration but
> > > also no changes then.
> > > Is it possible that the use of gphoto2 leads to an internal
> > > misconfiguration of the Camera (e.g. USB connection settings). Are there
> > > any other possible reasons for this type of problem.
> > > All help is very much appreciated, thanks in advance.
> > > Best regards
> > > Chris

> > --
> > Marcus Meissner,SUSE LINUX GmbH; Maxfeldstrasse 5; D-90409 Nuernberg; Zi.
> > 3.1-33,+49-911-740 53-432,,serv=loki,mail=wotan,type=real <

Re: D800 Tethering- progressbar keeps loading forever

some more strange behaviour if I use 2.5.10:

using the new lib the camera is detected as a D750 and capturing is not possible at all:

koc@koc-H87-D3H:~/Downloads/gphoto2-2.5.10/gphoto2$ export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib/
koc@koc-H87-D3H:~/Downloads/gphoto2-2.5.10/gphoto2$ ./gphoto2 --auto-detect
Modell                         Port
Nikon DSC D750                 usb:001,001

Then switching back to the old libgphoto 2.5.9. it is detected as the D800E it is:

koc@koc-H87-D3H:~/Downloads/gphoto2-2.5.10/gphoto2$ export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=""
koc@koc-H87-D3H:~/Downloads/gphoto2-2.5.10/gphoto2$ ./gphoto2 --auto-detect
Modell                         Port
Nikon DSC D800E                usb:003,015

Another hint (pointing in the direction that there is something wrong with the camera itself):
If I use Nikon's Sample Program from the official SDK (https://sdk.nikonimaging.com/apply/) using Windows the problem stays the same. So the shutter is released but then there is also the same progress bar. I also noticed that from all the attempts (Linux and Windows) no pictures are stored on the SD card. If I use the camera in non-tethered mode photos are captured and stored the normal way.
Regards
Chris

Re: D800 Tethering- progressbar keeps loading forever

Marcus Meissner-4
On Mon, Aug 08, 2016 at 06:20:37PM +0200, Christian Koch wrote:

> Hi,
> some more strange behaviour if I use 2.5.10:
>
> using the new lib the camera is detected as a D750 and capturing is not
> possible at all:
>
> koc@koc-H87-D3H:~/Downloads/gphoto2-2.5.10/gphoto2$ export
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib/
> koc@koc-H87-D3H:~/Downloads/gphoto2-2.5.10/gphoto2$ ./gphoto2 --auto-detect
> Modell                         Port

> Nikon DSC D750                 usb:001,001

You need to build with libusb support, this is just the "virtual nikon d750" camera.

> Then switching back to the old libgphoto 2.5.9. it is detected as the D800E
> it is:
>
> koc@koc-H87-D3H:~/Downloads/gphoto2-2.5.10/gphoto2$ export
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=""
> koc@koc-H87-D3H:~/Downloads/gphoto2-2.5.10/gphoto2$ ./gphoto2 --auto-detect
> Modell                         Port

> Nikon DSC D800E                usb:003,015
> ​
> Another hint (pointing in the direction that there is something wrong with
> the camera itself):
> If I use Nikon's Sample Program from the official SDK (
> https://sdk.nikonimaging.com/apply/) using Windows the problem stays the
> same. So the shutter is released but then there is also the same progress
> bar. I also noticed that from all the attempts (Linux and Windows) no
> pictures are stored on the SD card. If I use the camera in non-tethered
> mode photos are captured and stored the normal way.

Yes, it is using the SDRAM capture. So is the SDK working better?

Re: D800 Tethering- progressbar keeps loading forever

Christian Koch
Hi,
thanks, worked as I built it with libusb. I verified the problem using a Nikon Coolpix P7100 that worked like a charme. Also the D800 got really unreliable when trying to download photos or using it with the SDK Tool from Nikon. It also has more problems when connected to USB 3.0 than when I use a USB 2.0 port.
I think the problem is the USB connector on the camera side, when I gently move the connector back and forth the camera sometimes unmounts and mounts again. So I think it's not related to gphoto anymore from here. Thanks for your immediate help anyway, that helped me a lot and I learned some bits.
Ciao,
Chris