Coolpix 4300 Not Found on CHIP Linux

Allen Ginzburg
I want to control the Coolpix 4300 from this $9 single board computer.  The camera shows up as:

Bus 001 Device 023: ID 04b0:010e Nikon Corp. Coolpix 4300 (storage)

But is not found by gphoto2 (version 2.5.4).  The listing of supported cameras shows this camera supported in sierra mode, but the only USB modes that the camera configuration allows is storage and ptp.

I cannot unload the mass-storage driver on this computer.  Is there any way to get gphoto2 to control this camera on this system?

Allen

Re: Coolpix 4300 Not Found on CHIP Linux

Marcus Meissner-4
On Wed, Mar 01, 2017 at 03:15:36PM -0800, Allen Ginzburg wrote:

> I want to control the Coolpix 4300 from this $9 single board computer.  The
> camera shows up as:
>
> Bus 001 Device 023: ID 04b0:010e Nikon Corp. Coolpix 4300 (storage)
>
> But is not found by gphoto2 (version 2.5.4).  The listing of supported
> cameras shows this camera supported in sierra mode, but the only USB modes
> that the camera configuration allows is storage and ptp.
>
> I cannot unload the mass-storage driver on this computer.  Is there any way
> to get gphoto2 to control this camera on this system?

Sierra mode on the Coolpix 4300 is "tunneled" through the Mass Storage mode.

So switch the camera to mass storage mode.

WHat does "gphoto2 --auto-detect" show? WHat does "gphoto2 --list-ports" show?

The USB or SCSI generic device might still need write permissions of your user,
or you can run as root if this is a small computer.

Fwd: Coolpix 4300 Not Found on CHIP Linux

Allen Ginzburg
On Wed, Mar 1, 2017 at 11:38 PM, Marcus Meissner <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, Mar 01, 2017 at 03:15:36PM -0800, Allen Ginzburg wrote:
> I want to control the Coolpix 4300 from this $9 single board computer.  The
> camera shows up as:
>
> Bus 001 Device 023: ID 04b0:010e Nikon Corp. Coolpix 4300 (storage)
>
> But is not found by gphoto2 (version 2.5.4).  The listing of supported
> cameras shows this camera supported in sierra mode, but the only USB modes
> that the camera configuration allows is storage and ptp.
>
> I cannot unload the mass-storage driver on this computer.  Is there any way
> to get gphoto2 to control this camera on this system?

Sierra mode on the Coolpix 4300 is "tunneled" through the Mass Storage mode.

So switch the camera to mass storage mode.

WHat does "gphoto2 --auto-detect" show? WHat does "gphoto2 --list-ports" show?

The USB or SCSI generic device might still need write permissions of your user,
or you can run as root if this is a small computer.

Ciao, Marcus

I am running as super-user and auto-detect doesn't find anything.  Here is the output:

 root@chip:~# lsusb | grep Nikon
Bus 001 Device 025: ID 04b0:010e Nikon Corp. Coolpix 4300 (storage)
root@chip:~# gphoto2 --auto-detect
Model                          Port
root@chip:~#

Re: Fwd: Coolpix 4300 Not Found on CHIP Linux

Hubert Figuière-2
On 02/03/17 03:57 PM, Allen Ginzburg wrote:

> I am running as super-user and auto-detect doesn't find anything.  Here is
> the output:
>
>  root@chip:~# lsusb | grep Nikon
> Bus 001 Device 025: ID 04b0:010e Nikon Corp. Coolpix 4300 (storage)
> root@chip:~# gphoto2 --auto-detect
> Model                          Port

> root@chip:~#

Switch the camera to PTP and try again.

This camera works in PTP.

Hub

Re: Fwd: Coolpix 4300 Not Found on CHIP Linux

Allen Ginzburg
In PTP it is recognized but cannot be remote controlled.  It produces the message Error ( -6 'Unsupported operation' ) in response to a --capture-image-and-download command.

On Thu, Mar 02, 2017 at 12:57:15PM -0800, Allen Ginzburg wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 1, 2017 at 11:38 PM, Marcus Meissner <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Mar 01, 2017 at 03:15:36PM -0800, Allen Ginzburg wrote:
> > > I want to control the Coolpix 4300 from this $9 single board computer.
> > The
> > > camera shows up as:
> > >
> > > Bus 001 Device 023: ID 04b0:010e Nikon Corp. Coolpix 4300 (storage)
> > >
> > > But is not found by gphoto2 (version 2.5.4).  The listing of supported
> > > cameras shows this camera supported in sierra mode, but the only USB
> > modes
> > > that the camera configuration allows is storage and ptp.
> > >
> > > I cannot unload the mass-storage driver on this computer.  Is there any
> > way
> > > to get gphoto2 to control this camera on this system?
> >
> > Sierra mode on the Coolpix 4300 is "tunneled" through the Mass Storage
> > mode.
> >
> > So switch the camera to mass storage mode.
> >
> > WHat does "gphoto2 --auto-detect" show? WHat does "gphoto2 --list-ports"
> > show?
> >
> > The USB or SCSI generic device might still need write permissions of your
> > user,
> > or you can run as root if this is a small computer.
> >
> > Ciao, Marcus
> >

> I am running as super-user and auto-detect doesn't find anything.  Here is
> the output:
>
>  root@chip:~# lsusb | grep Nikon
> Bus 001 Device 025: ID 04b0:010e Nikon Corp. Coolpix 4300 (storage)
> root@chip:~# gphoto2 --auto-detect
> Model                          Port

And
        gphoto2 --list-ports
?

Can you also run:
        modprobe sg

and see if that changes gphoto2 --auto-detect   output?

It should provide "usbscsi:" ports.

Cioao, Marcus

Re: Fwd: Coolpix 4300 Not Found on CHIP Linux

Allen Ginzburg
There are no "usbscsi:" ports reported.  Only 4 serial (ttyS0 though ttyS3) and usb:001,003.  Modprobe sg reports "Module sg not found".

On Fri, Mar 3, 2017 at 9:02 AM, Marcus Meissner <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thu, Mar 02, 2017 at 12:57:15PM -0800, Allen Ginzburg wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 1, 2017 at 11:38 PM, Marcus Meissner <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Mar 01, 2017 at 03:15:36PM -0800, Allen Ginzburg wrote:
> > > I want to control the Coolpix 4300 from this $9 single board computer.
> > The
> > > camera shows up as:
> > >
> > > Bus 001 Device 023: ID 04b0:010e Nikon Corp. Coolpix 4300 (storage)
> > >
> > > But is not found by gphoto2 (version 2.5.4).  The listing of supported
> > > cameras shows this camera supported in sierra mode, but the only USB
> > modes
> > > that the camera configuration allows is storage and ptp.
> > >
> > > I cannot unload the mass-storage driver on this computer.  Is there any
> > way
> > > to get gphoto2 to control this camera on this system?
> >
> > Sierra mode on the Coolpix 4300 is "tunneled" through the Mass Storage
> > mode.
> >
> > So switch the camera to mass storage mode.
> >
> > WHat does "gphoto2 --auto-detect" show? WHat does "gphoto2 --list-ports"
> > show?
> >
> > The USB or SCSI generic device might still need write permissions of your
> > user,
> > or you can run as root if this is a small computer.
> >
> > Ciao, Marcus
> >

> I am running as super-user and auto-detect doesn't find anything.  Here is
> the output:
>
>  root@chip:~# lsusb | grep Nikon
> Bus 001 Device 025: ID 04b0:010e Nikon Corp. Coolpix 4300 (storage)
> root@chip:~# gphoto2 --auto-detect
> Model                          Port

And
        gphoto2 --list-ports
?

Can you also run:
        modprobe sg

and see if that changes gphoto2 --auto-detect   output?

It should provide "usbscsi:" ports.

Cioao, Marcus

Re: Fwd: Coolpix 4300 Not Found on CHIP Linux

darethehair
Unfortunately, I have also just confirmed that my Nikon CP4300 camera does not respond properly in gphoto2 on the CHIP computer :(

I was comparing commands and responses at the same time with my regular desktop PC running Linux, so I knew what to expect when it works -- and the expected port entry was detected on the PC, but not on the CHIP computer:

Nikon CoolPix 4300 (Sierra Mode) usbscsi:/dev/sg4

Re: Fwd: Coolpix 4300 Not Found on CHIP Linux

darethehair
Hmmm...interesting discovery!  Sorry, I have no ideas myself how to remedy this situation.  I think the best that can be done in the long run is to make the Next Thing technical team aware of this oversight so that the next kernel will include this :)

Dare

<quote author="Allen Ginzburg">
Apparently this is due to the missing usbscsi (sg) driver in the built-in
kernel.  I have not found a way to add it to the kernel using modprobe and
would love to hear if anyone has a way of adding this driver without
building a new kernel.

Re: Fwd: Coolpix 4300 Not Found on CHIP Linux

If you have a newer libgphoto2 version it will use libusb again also
to speak USB SCSI to the camera.

Ciao, Marcus