Controlling burst mode

Julio Tanomaru
Hi, everybody. I recently posted a question regarding multiple shots, and I want to elaborate on that. Here's what I have:

I have two Nikon D5300 mounted on top of a car and controlled by a Raspberry Pi running Raspbian. The cameras are facing left and right. Inside the vehicle I have a small embedded system that is simply a small user interface. The cameras are in sports mode and in low-speed bursting mode (2 to 3 shots per second), automatic focus. Each camera has a class 10, high capacity SD card and the car alternator supplies power. The cameras are configured to take small images with basic JPEG compression, which results in files below 1 Mbyte per picture.

I want to take pictures continuously as the vehicle travels very slowly (about 15 miles per hour) and save them in the SD card. Using gphoto2, I can configure burst mode, but I have to tell the camera beforehand how many pictures to take.

The problem is that, inside the car, I have a start/stop button that I want to use to control the cameras. I'm searching through the documentation and the web, but I can't find a way to stop the cameras once they begin taking pictures in burst mode. I want to be able to start and stop the burst shooting on the Nikon D5300 using gphoto.

Any ideas? This is crucial to my project.

Thank you all.

Julio Tanomaru

Re: Controlling burst mode

Tomas Alonso
Your requirements could be solved by using the --shell mode of gphoto2,
allowing with some elaboration to replace the burst mode with a desired number
of shots per second, depending on the camera/pc speed, using a custom script
in a given programming language.

The shell mode is an advance mode to control the camera with gphoto (shots,
live view, focus, ...), sending continuous commands to gphoto/camera instead
of calling gphoto from the beggining each time (with 1-2s of initial
overhead). Look at the mail list history to find more answers related to use it
from console or from programming languages (mainly python and Java). I have
tested successfuly myself one D5300 I borrowed in that mode, and I suppose 2
individual shots/sec saved in SD would be possible with raspberry, but I
recommend you to avoid using autofocus, focus should be fixed to ensure capture
at a given rate.

Another option would be live view with --shell. As a reference, I've been able
to achieve 2-3 fps in live view (images in PC, not SD) using an old Rikomagic
RK802IV, which is faster than the Raspberry I think, so the Raspberry is
probably not adequate for live view.

Regards,
Tomas.