Controlling autofocus points ?

Daniel P. Berrange
Some users of Entangle have queried whether there is any way for us to
control camrea autofocus points.

What we'd need is a way to get a list of the (x, y) co-ordinates of each
autofocus point on the sensor, so we can render them in the display during
preview mode and a way to set the active point (assuming the camera was in
the right autofocus mode of course).

AFAICT, gphoto doesn't expose this kind of functionality but I was
wondering if this was a limitation of gphoto implementation or of
the camera PTP protocol ?  Does anyone know if Canon/Nikon's commercial
capture software allows for this functionality ?

Regards,
Daniel
--
|: http://berrange.com      -o-    http://www.flickr.com/photos/dberrange/ :|
|: http://libvirt.org              -o-             http://virt-manager.org :|

Re: Controlling autofocus points ?

Marcus Meissner-4
On Wed, Oct 01, 2014 at 04:56:18PM +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:

> Some users of Entangle have queried whether there is any way for us to
> control camrea autofocus points.
>
> What we'd need is a way to get a list of the (x, y) co-ordinates of each
> autofocus point on the sensor, so we can render them in the display during
> preview mode and a way to set the active point (assuming the camera was in
> the right autofocus mode of course).
>
> AFAICT, gphoto doesn't expose this kind of functionality but I was
> wondering if this was a limitation of gphoto implementation or of
> the camera PTP protocol ?  Does anyone know if Canon/Nikon's commercial
> capture software allows for this functionality ?

I had similar queries.

Canon and Nikon seem to support this selection protocolwise at least.

I thought about this already, mostly how to present this in the current config framework.

Let the getter return the 2-d matrix of points with their (x,y) coordinates
as a string and the setter could then set one of those.

CANON EOS SDK 2.14
- header and documentation do not seem to offer this

NIKON SDK (D700)
- seems to offer something

On Wed, Oct 01, 2014 at 09:36:28PM +0200, Marcus Meissner wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 01, 2014 at 04:56:18PM +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> > Some users of Entangle have queried whether there is any way for us to
> > control camrea autofocus points.
> >
> > What we'd need is a way to get a list of the (x, y) co-ordinates of each
> > autofocus point on the sensor, so we can render them in the display during
> > preview mode and a way to set the active point (assuming the camera was in
> > the right autofocus mode of course).
> >
> > AFAICT, gphoto doesn't expose this kind of functionality but I was
> > wondering if this was a limitation of gphoto implementation or of
> > the camera PTP protocol ?  Does anyone know if Canon/Nikon's commercial
> > capture software allows for this functionality ?
>
> I had similar queries.
>
> Canon and Nikon seem to support this selection protocolwise at least.

That's good news.

> I thought about this already, mostly how to present this in the current config framework.
>
> Let the getter return the 2-d matrix of points with their (x,y) coordinates
> as a string and the setter could then set one of those.

It is possible that rather than just (x, y), we might want to have
(x, y, w, h) to define a focus area rather than just a point.

I wouldn't be surprised if we have to build up a database of focus
point info for each camera. eg if we can set the point via PTP but
can't query the locations/sizes.

> CANON EOS SDK 2.14
> - header and documentation do not seem to offer this

FYI someone told me offlist that the Canon capture app shows a
grid of focus points and allows their selection.

> NIKON SDK (D700)
> - seems to offer something

Daniel

On Wed, Oct 01, 2014 at 08:44:07PM +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 01, 2014 at 09:36:28PM +0200, Marcus Meissner wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 01, 2014 at 04:56:18PM +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> > > Some users of Entangle have queried whether there is any way for us to
> > > control camrea autofocus points.
> > >
> > > What we'd need is a way to get a list of the (x, y) co-ordinates of each
> > > autofocus point on the sensor, so we can render them in the display during
> > > preview mode and a way to set the active point (assuming the camera was in
> > > the right autofocus mode of course).
> > >
> > > AFAICT, gphoto doesn't expose this kind of functionality but I was
> > > wondering if this was a limitation of gphoto implementation or of
> > > the camera PTP protocol ?  Does anyone know if Canon/Nikon's commercial
> > > capture software allows for this functionality ?
> >
> > I had similar queries.
> >
> > Canon and Nikon seem to support this selection protocolwise at least.
>
> That's good news.
>
> > I thought about this already, mostly how to present this in the current config framework.
> >
> > Let the getter return the 2-d matrix of points with their (x,y) coordinates
> > as a string and the setter could then set one of those.
>
> It is possible that rather than just (x, y), we might want to have
> (x, y, w, h) to define a focus area rather than just a point.

Hmm, not sure if this ever happens to be an area instead of a point?

> I wouldn't be surprised if we have to build up a database of focus
> point info for each camera. eg if we can set the point via PTP but
> can't query the locations/sizes.

I am afraid so, the functions I remember basically take the number of the point :/

> > CANON EOS SDK 2.14
> > - header and documentation do not seem to offer this
>
> FYI someone told me offlist that the Canon capture app shows a
> grid of focus points and allows their selection.

Ok, then I probably did not find it on cursory look.

On Wed, Oct 01, 2014 at 10:27:08PM +0200, Marcus Meissner wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 01, 2014 at 08:44:07PM +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:

> > > I had similar queries.
> > >
> > > Canon and Nikon seem to support this selection protocolwise at least.
> >
> > That's good news.
> >
> > > I thought about this already, mostly how to present this in the current config framework.
> > >
> > > Let the getter return the 2-d matrix of points with their (x,y) coordinates
> > > as a string and the setter could then set one of those.
> >
> > It is possible that rather than just (x, y), we might want to have
> > (x, y, w, h) to define a focus area rather than just a point.
>
> Hmm, not sure if this ever happens to be an area instead of a point?

I mention this because the canon android app renders the focus areas as
a grid of rectangle regions, rather than just points. Perhaps that's
just a choice of their impl as opposed to genuine technical need.

Daniel
--
|: http://berrange.com      -o-    http://www.flickr.com/photos/dberrange/ :|
|: http://libvirt.org              -o-             http://virt-manager.org :|
|: http://autobuild.org       -o-         http://search.cpan.org/~danberr/ :|
|: http://entangle-photo.org       -o-       http://live.gnome.org/gtk-vnc :|

Re: Controlling autofocus points ?

alandal
No completely sure what I'm about to say would address the subject.

As far as I know Nikon D700 has this 51-point focus system

I am in the middle of mapping out the dots with respect to the Nikon's configuration below

/main/capturesettings/autofocusarea
Label: Auto Focus Area
Type: RADIO
Current: Top
Choice: 0 Centre
Choice: 1 Top
Choice: 2 Bottom
Choice: 3 Left
Choice: 4 Right
Choice: 5 Unknown value 0005
Choice: 6 Unknown value 0006
Choice: 7 Unknown value 0007
Choice: 8 Unknown value 0008
Choice: 9 Unknown value 0009
Choice: 10 Unknown value 000a
Choice: 11 Unknown value 000b
Choice: 12 Unknown value 000c
Choice: 13 Unknown value 000d
Choice: 14 Unknown value 000e
Choice: 15 Unknown value 000f
Choice: 16 Unknown value 0010
Choice: 17 Unknown value 0011
Choice: 18 Unknown value 0012
Choice: 19 Unknown value 0013
Choice: 20 Unknown value 0014
Choice: 21 Unknown value 0015
Choice: 22 Unknown value 0016
Choice: 23 Unknown value 0017
Choice: 24 Unknown value 0018
Choice: 25 Unknown value 0019
Choice: 26 Unknown value 001a
Choice: 27 Unknown value 001b
Choice: 28 Unknown value 001c
Choice: 29 Unknown value 001d
Choice: 30 Unknown value 001e
Choice: 31 Unknown value 001f
Choice: 32 Unknown value 0020
Choice: 33 Unknown value 0021
Choice: 34 Unknown value 0022
Choice: 35 Unknown value 0023
Choice: 36 Unknown value 0024
Choice: 37 Unknown value 0025
Choice: 38 Unknown value 0026
Choice: 39 Unknown value 0027
Choice: 40 Unknown value 0028
Choice: 41 Unknown value 0029
Choice: 42 Unknown value 002a
Choice: 43 Unknown value 002b
Choice: 44 Unknown value 002c
Choice: 45 Unknown value 002d
Choice: 46 Unknown value 002e
Choice: 47 Unknown value 002f
Choice: 48 Unknown value 0030
Choice: 49 Unknown value 0031
Choice: 50 Unknown value 0032
Choice: 51 Unknown value 0033

The first 5 numbers didn't seem to be right. The rest of numbers, currently blank, should be obvious now. I used

gphoto2 --set-config /main/capturesettings/autofocusarea=xx

to confirmed on the camera.They seem to correspond well.

But it's all based on 15min observation .....

Re: Controlling autofocus points ?

alandal
I spent some time to try it out on a Nikon700.

Like many other config parameters, AF selection has two locations to set its configurations. The better one is:

/main/other/d108
Label: Active AF Sensor
Type: MENU
Current: 1
Choice: 0 0
Choice: 1 1
Choice: 2 2
Choice: 51 51

with 52 points, 0 + 51 shown in the fig. before.

I tried a few shots with different spots, they seem to correspond well.