Capture Tethered

royord
Canon 7D Mk II

Is there a “—capture-tethered” option that can download the images as well as keep them on the card? I’m interested in creating a backup of each file on the fly.

using --set-config capturetarget="Media card” does set the media card as the target however it doesn’t seem to save them permanently there. They are there until transfered using the “capture-tethered” option then the file gets deleted.

using “—keep” and “—keep-raw” does keep the images on the card, however it doesn’t do the tethered part and download the image file to the local machine.

I have tried a script that loops “gphoto2 --folder="$CAMERA_FOLDER" --get-all-files --skip-existing” however this ends up in the camera being unavailable at times which just doesn’t work for my workflow, actually it’s every other time that the script runs the camera is unavailable. Is there a way to fix this so that the camera remains available?

I would try gphotofs however this leaves the camera “busy” and I cannot shoot and use the file system at the same time, this would be much more ideal.

gphoto2 -v
gphoto2 2.5.10.1

Copyright (c) 2000-2016 Lutz Mueller and others

gphoto2 comes with NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. You may
redistribute copies of gphoto2 under the terms of the GNU General Public
License. For more information about these matters, see the files named COPYING.

This version of gphoto2 is using the following software versions and options:
gphoto2         2.5.10.1       gcc, popt(m), exif, no cdk, no aa, jpeg, readline
libgphoto2      2.5.10.1       all camlibs, gcc, ltdl, EXIF
libgphoto2_port 0.12.0         gcc, ltdl, USB, serial without locking

Re: Capture Tethered

can you try:
gphoto2 --wait-event-and-download=1000s --keep

?

Ciao, Marcus

On Sat, Sep 24, 2016 at 05:45:22PM -0700, royord wrote:

> Canon 7D Mk II
>
> Is there a “—capture-tethered” option that can download the images as well as keep them on the card? I’m interested in creating a backup of each file on the fly.
>
> using --set-config capturetarget="Media card” does set the media card as the target however it doesn’t seem to save them permanently there. They are there until transfered using the “capture-tethered” option then the file gets deleted.
>
> using “—keep” and “—keep-raw” does keep the images on the card, however it doesn’t do the tethered part and download the image file to the local machine.
>
> I have tried a script that loops “gphoto2 --folder="$CAMERA_FOLDER" --get-all-files --skip-existing” however this ends up in the camera being unavailable at times which just doesn’t work for my workflow, actually it’s every other time that the script runs the camera is unavailable. Is there a way to fix this so that the camera remains available?
>
> I would try gphotofs however this leaves the camera “busy” and I cannot shoot and use the file system at the same time, this would be much more ideal.

Re: Capture Tethered

royord
This worked great, Is there a way to have it work this way in gphotofs?

With the 7D MK II, previously, the camera is left “busy” if I run access to the filesystem with gphotofs. On that note I did try to install it from source and found a couple of issues.

./configure —prefix=/user/local gave me an error doing the configure
———
checking for FUSE... no
configure: error: Package requirements (fuse >= 2.5) were not met:

No package 'fuse' found

———

I did check my fuse version at it is documented below:
$> fusermount --version
fusermount version: 2.9.3

1. The sequence to make the files isn’t clearly documented
a. autoreconf -is
b. ./configure --prefix=/usr/local
c. make
d. make install

Thanks,

Roy

On Sep 25, 2016, at 3:40 AM, Marcus Meissner <[hidden email]> wrote:

gphoto2 --wait-event-and-download=1000s --keep

Re: Capture Tethered

gphotofs can handle getting events. So if you build a current version and
press buttons on the camera, the files wil appear.

Below can be fixed by adding "fuse-devel" packages during build.

Ciao, MArcus

--
Marcus Meissner,SUSE LINUX GmbH; Maxfeldstrasse 5; D-90409 Nuernberg; Zi. 3.1-33,+49-911-740 53-432,,serv=loki,mail=wotan,type=real <[hidden email]>