Quantcast

Canon powershot G10 and capture ability

Gouxosor Goulven
Hello,
I am currently building a cnc machine (3 axes), with a camera to make an animated film.
I would like to buy a camera fully controllable with gphoto2.
I wonder if it is actually possible to control the parameters of this camera: Canon PowerShot G10

whitebalance
Aperture
Shutter Speed
Focusing point
zoom

Thanks
Goulven

Re: Canon powershot G10 and capture ability

Marcus Meissner-4
On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 12:51:35PM -0800, Gouxosor Goulven wrote:
> Hello,
> I am currently building a cnc machine (3 axes), with a camera to make an animated film.
> I would like to buy a camera fully controllable with gphoto2.
> I wonder if it is actually possible to control the parameters of this camera: Canon PowerShot G10
>
> whitebalance
        Yes.

> Aperture
        Yes.
> Shutter Speed
        Yes.

        I am however not sure if there is a shootingmode where both Aperture and Shutterspeed can be set at the same time though.

        (shootingmode would be need to set to manual)

> Focusing point
        Hmm, yes... but e.g. the G9 only has "center" and "auto"?

        So a bit unclear what the camera allows and what we currently support.

> zoom
        Yes.

Re: Canon powershot G10 and capture ability

Gouxosor Goulven
Hello,
thank you for your answer.
I hope that I write in the right place.

I wish I could settle manualy  the focusing on different distance.

For example take a picture with the focusing point set at 100mm, then 110mm, 120mm ...
For have a video sequence where the focus moves from one character in the foreground to the background.

If I understood your answer, the point is set by AF?

Can i use gphoto to set the focusing point of a camera manualy, with length information ?(not necessary this one?)

Bye

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 02:06:34AM -0800, Gouxosor Goulven wrote:

> Hello,
> thank you for your answer.
> I hope that I write in the right place.
>
> I wish I could settle manualy  the focusing on different distance.
>
> For example take a picture with the focusing point set at 100mm, then 110mm, 120mm ...
> For have a video sequence where the focus moves from one character in the foreground to the background.
>
> If I understood your answer, the point is set by AF?

Yes.

> Can i use gphoto to set the focusing point of a camera manualy, with length information ?(not necessary this one?)

On Canon Powershots ... No. Manual focusing is not possible.

The Canon EOS and newer Nikon DSLR have methods to do this, but
the Canon Powershot with their regular firmware do not.

Re: Canon powershot G10 and capture ability

Gouxosor Goulven
Hi
I checked the old messages(http://old.nabble.com) to find the camera that could suit me.
There are not that much that seems to have the manual focus with gphoto:
Apparently, these cameras are ok:

Canon EOS 5D mark II
Canon EOS 7D
( too expensive for me)