Canon EOS 350D bulb mode?

magnuslar
Hi!

I'm new to this list, and came here because I have an issue with my
Canon EOS 350D. I would like to be able to take pictures in bulb mode -
but I can't find out how to do this. Anyone using a 350D or similar that
can advice me?

The question arises because I wish to use the camera for
astrophotography, and I'm having some problems with the Indi library
with it. So I turn to gphoto to understand how it works. Any assistance
is warmly welcome.

Best,

Magnus

Re: Canon EOS 350D bulb mode?

Tomas Alonso

El Miércoles, 2 de marzo de 2016 23:18:59 Magnus Larsson escribió:

> Hi!

> I'm new to this list, and came here because I have an issue with my

> Canon EOS 350D. I would like to be able to take pictures in bulb mode -

> but I can't find out how to do this. Anyone using a 350D or similar that

> can advice me?

> The question arises because I wish to use the camera for

> astrophotography, and I'm having some problems with the Indi library

> with it. So I turn to gphoto to understand how it works. Any assistance

> is warmly welcome.

> Best,

> Magnus

Hellow Magnus,

I'm currently working in a software for astrophotography using gphoto. Its written in Java and should work in any OS, although it is fully tested only on Linux. I have used the 300D some time ago successfully, and on my 40D it supports everything, from bulb mode to live view and live focus. Here is the link if you want to try it (please let me know if everything works with the 350D). I'm currently testing it on a stick or mini-pc controlling it wireless with an android phone using vnc, and works quite well even on these low powerful devices. Astrophotography reduction will be implemented soon.

ClearSky app

http://conga.oan.es/~alonso/doku.php?id=jparsec#installing_only_clearsky

Source code is free in case you want to look at the commands the program uses to interact with gphoto. You have in that case to download the library, jparsec.jar (http://conga.oan.es/~alonso/jparsec/lib/jparsec.jar), uncompress it (it is a zip file), and open the file jparsec/io/device/implementation/GPhotoCamera.java

Regards,

Tomas.

Re: Canon EOS 350D bulb mode?

Jim Easterbrook
On 02/03/16 22:18, Magnus Larsson wrote:

> I'm new to this list, and came here because I have an issue with my
> Canon EOS 350D. I would like to be able to take pictures in bulb mode -
> but I can't find out how to do this. Anyone using a 350D or similar that
> can advice me?

My understanding is that the 350d can't be used in 'bulb' mode via USB,
you need to use the 2.5mm jack socket instead. This can be computer
controlled via an RS232 port and an opto isolator. I made something
suitable some years ago: http://www.jim-easterbrook.me.uk/astro/ap/remote/

--
Jim Easterbrook                 <http://www.jim-easterbrook.me.uk/>

Re: Canon EOS 350D bulb mode?

magnuslar
Hi!

Great, thanks! That explains a lot. Is this kind of interface/device
then compatible with the gphoto modules? That is, is it controllable via
gphoto through such a device?

Magnus

Den 2016-03-03 kl. 08:43, skrev Jim Easterbrook:

> On 02/03/16 22:18, Magnus Larsson wrote:
>> I'm new to this list, and came here because I have an issue with my
>> Canon EOS 350D. I would like to be able to take pictures in bulb mode -
>> but I can't find out how to do this. Anyone using a 350D or similar that
>> can advice me?
> My understanding is that the 350d can't be used in 'bulb' mode via USB,
> you need to use the 2.5mm jack socket instead. This can be computer
> controlled via an RS232 port and an opto isolator. I made something
> suitable some years ago: http://www.jim-easterbrook.me.uk/astro/ap/remote/

Re: Canon EOS 350D bulb mode?

I would not guess so, this is a hardware interface.

Ciao, Marcus
On Thu, Mar 03, 2016 at 07:52:53PM +0100, Magnus Larsson wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Great, thanks! That explains a lot. Is this kind of interface/device
> then compatible with the gphoto modules? That is, is it controllable via
> gphoto through such a device?
>
> Magnus
>

> Den 2016-03-03 kl. 08:43, skrev Jim Easterbrook:
> > On 02/03/16 22:18, Magnus Larsson wrote:
> >> I'm new to this list, and came here because I have an issue with my
> >> Canon EOS 350D. I would like to be able to take pictures in bulb mode -
> >> but I can't find out how to do this. Anyone using a 350D or similar that
> >> can advice me?
> > My understanding is that the 350d can't be used in 'bulb' mode via USB,
> > you need to use the 2.5mm jack socket instead. This can be computer
> > controlled via an RS232 port and an opto isolator. I made something
> > suitable some years ago: http://www.jim-easterbrook.me.uk/astro/ap/remote/

Re: Canon EOS 350D bulb mode?

magnuslar
HI again!

Right, so now I have a serial shutter release cable with a
serial-USB-converter. Can I now use this setup with gphto to take bulb
exposures? It uses 2 USB connections, one for the regular direct USB,
and one for the shutter release. I've tried the gtkam but cannot make it
work...

Magnus

Den 2016-03-03 kl. 08:43, skrev Jim Easterbrook:

> On 02/03/16 22:18, Magnus Larsson wrote:
>> I'm new to this list, and came here because I have an issue with my
>> Canon EOS 350D. I would like to be able to take pictures in bulb mode -
>> but I can't find out how to do this. Anyone using a 350D or similar that
>> can advice me?
> My understanding is that the 350d can't be used in 'bulb' mode via USB,
> you need to use the 2.5mm jack socket instead. This can be computer
> controlled via an RS232 port and an opto isolator. I made something
> suitable some years ago: http://www.jim-easterbrook.me.uk/astro/ap/remote/

Re: Canon EOS 350D bulb mode?

Hubert Figuière-2
On 26/03/16 03:02 AM, Magnus Larsson wrote:
> HI again!
>
> Right, so now I have a serial shutter release cable with a
> serial-USB-converter. Can I now use this setup with gphto to take bulb
> exposures? It uses 2 USB connections, one for the regular direct USB,
> and one for the shutter release. I've tried the gtkam but cannot make it
> work...

If you want a GUI for tethered shooting with libgphoto I recommend using
Entangle.

https://entangle-photo.org/

Hub

Re: Canon EOS 350D bulb mode?

On Sat, Mar 26, 2016 at 08:02:02AM +0100, Magnus Larsson wrote:
> HI again!
>
> Right, so now I have a serial shutter release cable with a
> serial-USB-converter. Can I now use this setup with gphto to take bulb
> exposures? It uses 2 USB connections, one for the regular direct USB,
> and one for the shutter release. I've tried the gtkam but cannot make it
> work...

I am not sure if I replied yet...

The one USB connection to the camera directly can be monitored with

gphoto2 --wait-event-and-download=1000s

The other over serial, you can probably write a small helper program
(or a different gphoto2 driver) that accesses that serial port and
sends the correct codes to trigger.
Is there documentation on this trigger method?