Canon DSLR --capture-image problem

csatgphoto
Hi All,
I have a Canon DSLR EOS 550D (T2i).  I cannot seem to get --capture-image to work as expected in any of the manual modes (M, Av, or Tv).  After what seems like a minute I get the error message:
*** Error (-1: 'Unspecified error') *** (Plus debugging blah blah).

It does work as expected in Movie mode.  Is this to be expected?

In the manual modes it seems to start taking a picture (mirror motion sound) and then appears to time out.  If I press the shutter release it then takes a picture and does not time out and I do not get the error message.

I am running gphoto2 ver 2.4.11 on ubuntu 12.04 LTS on a pendrivelinux install with persistence.

Gphoto2 news mentions some Canon fixes in version 2.5.2.  Is that the fix?
Is there an apt install for this version yet?  I cannot seem to find it.

Thank you,

Re: Canon DSLR --capture-image problem

Marcus Meissner-4
On Mon, Dec 09, 2013 at 06:20:55PM -0800, csatgphoto wrote:

> Hi All,
> I have a Canon DSLR EOS 550D (T2i).  I cannot seem to get --capture-image to
> work as expected in any of the manual modes (M, Av, or Tv).  After what
> seems like a minute I get the error message:
> *** Error (-1: 'Unspecified error') *** (Plus debugging blah blah).
>
> It does work as expected in Movie mode.  Is this to be expected?
>
> In the manual modes it seems to start taking a picture (mirror motion sound)
> and then appears to time out.  If I press the shutter release it then takes
> a picture and does not time out and I do not get the error message.
>
> I am running gphoto2 ver 2.4.11 on ubuntu 12.04 LTS on a pendrivelinux
> install with persistence.

The EOS support has greatly improved from 2.4.11 to now, an update is worth it.

> Gphoto2 news mentions some Canon fixes in version 2.5.2.  Is that the fix?

No idea about this specific problem, but it very likely behaves better.

Even 2.4.14 is probably better already.

> Is there an apt install for this version yet?  I cannot seem to find it.

No idea about Ubuntu packages.

CIao, Marcus

Re: Canon DSLR --capture-image problem

csatgphoto
Marcus,
Thank you for your earlier response to help.

I have tried to upgrade to gphoto2-2.5.2 and gphoto2-2.4.14.  Apparently I just do not know enough to figure out why the "make" fails when I try it after ./configure.   I have attached the error output below.

Both libgphoto2-2.5.2 and libgphoto2-2.4.14 appear to install but I cannot say without error.  I do see warning messages stream by.

I tried installing with and without using ubuntu's removal tool for the earlier version without success.  At best I understand make is not finding something.  No idea how to fix.  Help!

Thank you,
Charles

On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 12:17 AM, Marcus Meissner-4 [via gPhoto Software] <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon, Dec 09, 2013 at 06:20:55PM -0800, csatgphoto wrote:

> Hi All,
> I have a Canon DSLR EOS 550D (T2i).  I cannot seem to get --capture-image to
> work as expected in any of the manual modes (M, Av, or Tv).  After what
> seems like a minute I get the error message:
> *** Error (-1: 'Unspecified error') *** (Plus debugging blah blah).
>
> It does work as expected in Movie mode.  Is this to be expected?
>
> In the manual modes it seems to start taking a picture (mirror motion sound)
> and then appears to time out.  If I press the shutter release it then takes
> a picture and does not time out and I do not get the error message.
>
> I am running gphoto2 ver 2.4.11 on ubuntu 12.04 LTS on a pendrivelinux
> install with persistence.
The EOS support has greatly improved from 2.4.11 to now, an update is worth it.

> Gphoto2 news mentions some Canon fixes in version 2.5.2.  Is that the fix?

No idea about this specific problem, but it very likely behaves better.

Even 2.4.14 is probably better already.

> Is there an apt install for this version yet?  I cannot seem to find it.

No idea about Ubuntu packages.

CIao, Marcus

http://gphoto-software.10949.n7.nabble.com/Canon-DSLR-capture-image-problem-tp13830p13831.html
To unsubscribe from Canon DSLR --capture-image problem, click here.
NAML

gphotomake.txt (63K) Download Attachment

On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 01:36:16PM -0800, csatgphoto wrote:

> Marcus,
> Thank you for your earlier response to help.
>
> I have tried to upgrade to gphoto2-2.5.2 and gphoto2-2.4.14.  Apparently I
> just do not know enough to figure out why the "make" fails when I try it
> after ./configure.   I have attached the error output below.
>
> Both libgphoto2-2.5.2 and libgphoto2-2.4.14 appear to install but I cannot
> say without error.  I do see warning messages stream by.
>
> I tried installing with and without using ubuntu's removal tool for the
> earlier version without success.  At best I understand make is not finding
> something.  No idea how to fix.  Help!

Hard to say what the problem is, I saw this when the libexif development
headers are not installed for instance. (libexif-devel or libexif-dev)

I was hoping there would be newer packages for Ubuntu already :/

Ciao, Marcus

http://gphoto-software.10949.n7.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_viewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml>

> gphotomake.txt (63K) <http://gphoto-software.10949.n7.nabble.com/attachment/13834/0/gphotomake.txt>

Re: Canon DSLR --capture-image problem

csatgphoto
It looks like it was more than just that library.  This is not a complete list but for others hopefully enough to get them down the road.  This is probably specific to Ubuntu 12.04LTS.

Remove all elements of the Ubuntu installed libgphoto2 libraries.

With Synaptic make sure the following libraries are loaded.
libexif and libexif-dev, libexif-gtk5
libpopt0 and libpopt-dev
libltdl-dev and libltdl7

looks like the ./configure  --prefex=/usr/local causes problems.  This is mentioned in the install instructions for libgphoto2.  Tried it with just ./configure and that seemed to finally work.

Do the ./configure then make then sudo make install dance.
Somewhere in there it asks to:
set PKG_CO??? to /usr/lib/? using export.  Check with echo $PKG???
Did not write the exact variables and directory paths down.  Sorry.

Then do the ./configure, make, sudo make install dance.  It did not find gphoto2 till ldconfig was run

After all that when I ran gphoto2 -v it showed the 2.5.2 version numbers.
But guess what?  STILL THE SAME PROBLEM.  It will not take pictures without hanging using --capture-image unless the camera is in Movie mode.  New error messages though.

I suspect there are some setting that I cannot figure out from the language of --list-config that need to be changed.  Entangle demonstrates what I would like to do is possible and it works with the library installed with Ubuntu.  In fact Entangle seems to be able to bypass the camera mode dial.

Any explicit hints.

Thanks
Charles.

On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 1:00 PM, Marcus Meissner-4 [via gPhoto Software] <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 01:36:16PM -0800, csatgphoto wrote:

> Marcus,
> Thank you for your earlier response to help.
>
> I have tried to upgrade to gphoto2-2.5.2 and gphoto2-2.4.14.  Apparently I
> just do not know enough to figure out why the "make" fails when I try it
> after ./configure.   I have attached the error output below.
>
> Both libgphoto2-2.5.2 and libgphoto2-2.4.14 appear to install but I cannot
> say without error.  I do see warning messages stream by.
>
> I tried installing with and without using ubuntu's removal tool for the
> earlier version without success.  At best I understand make is not finding
> something.  No idea how to fix.  Help!
Hard to say what the problem is, I saw this when the libexif development
headers are not installed for instance. (libexif-devel or libexif-dev)

I was hoping there would be newer packages for Ubuntu already :/

Ciao, Marcus

> Thank you,
> Charles
>

> On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 12:17 AM, Marcus Meissner-4 [via gPhoto Software] <
> [hidden email]> wrote:

> > On Mon, Dec 09, 2013 at 06:20:55PM -0800, csatgphoto wrote:
> >
> > > Hi All,
> > > I have a Canon DSLR EOS 550D (T2i).  I cannot seem to get
> > --capture-image to
> > > work as expected in any of the manual modes (M, Av, or Tv).  After what
> > > seems like a minute I get the error message:
> > > *** Error (-1: 'Unspecified error') *** (Plus debugging blah blah).
> > >
> > > It does work as expected in Movie mode.  Is this to be expected?
> > >
> > > In the manual modes it seems to start taking a picture (mirror motion
> > sound)
> > > and then appears to time out.  If I press the shutter release it then
> > takes
> > > a picture and does not time out and I do not get the error message.
> > >
> > > I am running gphoto2 ver 2.4.11 on ubuntu 12.04 LTS on a pendrivelinux
> > > install with persistence.
> >
> > The EOS support has greatly improved from 2.4.11 to now, an update is
> > worth it.
> >
> > > Gphoto2 news mentions some Canon fixes in version 2.5.2.  Is that the
> > fix?
> >
> > No idea about this specific problem, but it very likely behaves better.
> >
> > Even 2.4.14 is probably better already.
> >
> > > Is there an apt install for this version yet?  I cannot seem to find it.
> >
> > No idea about Ubuntu packages.
> >
> > CIao, Marcus

http://gphoto-software.10949.n7.nabble.com/Canon-DSLR-capture-image-problem-tp13830p13835.html
To unsubscribe from Canon DSLR --capture-image problem, click here.
NAML

Re: Canon DSLR --capture-image problem

Rogier Wolff
On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 09:58:53PM +0100, Marcus Meissner wrote:

> Hard to say what the problem is, I saw this when the libexif
> development headers are not installed for instance. (libexif-devel
> or libexif-dev)

> I was hoping there would be newer packages for Ubuntu already :/

Although sometimes it is the version of the packages that's the
problem, most of the time it's that they aren't installed at all.

For packages where you want to compile the latest version, but where
an older version is also in the standard repositories, a good trick is
to do:

  apt-get build-dep yourpackage

that will in one sweep install all the dependencies to build
yourpackage. Of course it will miss the new version dependencies of
the "latest version" of your package, but at least the easy
dependencies will be taken care of.

        Roger.

--
** [hidden email] ** http://www.BitWizard.nl/ ** +31-15-2600998 **
**    Delftechpark 26 2628 XH  Delft, The Netherlands. KVK: 27239233    **

Re: Canon DSLR --capture-image problem

csatgphoto
BECAUSE
Most of my photography work requires high resolution, modest lighting, and the T2i has a huge design flaw with the through the lens view and focusing (The plane of the through the lens view focus sensor is not precisely in the same plane as the image sensor.  Canon's solution appears to be some strange electronic calibration with varying flexibility between models ).
RESULT
 I take relatively long exposures requiring a tripod or other stable mount.  To minimize vibrations during these exposures I almost always place the T2i in mirror lock-up mode.
This requires two presses of the shutter button (unless you use the self-timer).  I usually use a remote shutter button (again for vibration minimization).
GPHOTO2 RESULT
It would appear that gphoto2 --capture-image only sends one shutter request thus it hangs if the T2i is in mirror lock-up mode without self-timer.  The camera is waiting for the 2nd shutter button request.  When you place the camera in movie mode or live-view it does not need the 2nd button request.  That is why --capture-image appeared to work correctly only in movie mode with gphoto2.

IS IT A BUG?
I would argue this is a MAJOR BUG in gphoto2 on at least one ground if not two.  It is not documented.  (Old joke, if it is documented it is no longer a bug but a feature.) I would request either a modification to gphoto2 to enable a 2nd timed shutter request when using --capture-image feature or some other suitable work around other than setting the camera's built in timer.  Maybe it is already there and I just could not find it with the search patterns I used to find a solution to this problem.  I will continue to see if I can figure out a command line approach.  Entangle shows that it can bypass the mode dial and get the camera to capture and download  while maintaining all the exposure control of the camera.  I can also get Entangle to time out like gphoto2 waiting for the camera.

I suspect some variation of issues with mirror lock-up plagues all DSLR's with gphoto2 especially Canon's product line.

I hope this helps
Charles

** [hidden email] ** http://www.BitWizard.nl/ ** <a href="tel:%2B31-15-2600998" value="+31152600998" target="_blank">+31-15-2600998 **

NAML

On Sun, Dec 15, 2013 at 10:46:03AM -0800, csatgphoto wrote:
> I suspect some variation of issues with mirror lock-up plagues all DSLR's
> with gphoto2 especially Canon's product line.

Nikon will raise the mirror, wait a while (100ms by default, I'm not
completely sure if you can change it) and then take the picture.

        Roger.

--
** [hidden email] ** http://www.BitWizard.nl/ ** +31-15-2600998 **
**    Delftechpark 26 2628 XH  Delft, The Netherlands. KVK: 27239233    **
The plan was simple, like my brother-in-law Phil. But unlike
Phil, this plan just might work.

Re: Canon DSLR --capture-image problem

csatgphoto
Mirror Lockup Solutions.

The following command lines take pictures with the Mirror Lockup setting “enabled” on a Canon EOS 550D (T2i).  (Note Mirror Lockup is a custom setting on the camera not via gphoto2)

gphoto2 --set-config capturetarget=0 \
--set-config drivemode=0 \
--set-config eosviewfinder=0 \
--set-config output=0 \
--set-config autofocusdrive=0 \
--set-config eosremoterelease=4 --wait-event=1s \
--set-config eosremoterelease=3 \

gphoto2 --set-config capturetarget=0 \
--set-config drivemode=0 \
--set-config eosviewfinder=0 \
--set-config output=1 \
--set-config autofocusdrive=0 \
--filename test.jpg \
--capture-image-and-download \

NOTES:
The key setting is “eosviewfinder”.  It appears to be equivalent, in this context, to pushing the “Live View” button on the camera and flips the mirror up.  Doing this only requires one press of the shutter release button when using Mirror Lockup.

“drivemode” is probably not needed.  It is equivalent to the Drive Mode button on the camera when using Quick Control mode.

“output” seems to control whether the camera’s display will show the image taken and the focusing process.  If set to PC this appears to go into USB ether and the camera’s display is dark (do not know if it is off).  Probably useful when using libgphoto API commands directly to show “capture-preview” output.

“eosremoterelease” is equivalent to pushing the shutter button.  Combined with “—wait-event=Xs (or Xms) can add additional control to how much delay after the mirror flips you wait to take a picture.  –wait-event may need to be placed before “eosremoterelease” fothe greatest timing flexibility?  When using the combination shown, will need to set “capturetarget=1” so the picture is saved to the flash card.  Otherwise will go into RAM ether.  HOWEVER, I noticed that changing “capturetarget” only took effect after two calls of the above CLI sequence (in effect you had to take two pictures).  The PTP status stream at the terminal seemed to indicate the camera needed more time to process the request.

“autofocusdrive” controls whether the camera auto-focuses for a given shot WHEN USING CUSTOM FUNCTION MODE OPTION 9=1 (this is set on the camera).

I hope this helps.

QUESTIONS:

What state does gphoto2 leave the camera and the USB interface upon exit?  I tried some combinations of “uilock” without apparent effect?  Upon exit from gphoto2 I cannot access any of the camera buttons unless I either “mount” the camera in Nautilus or cycle the camera power switch.

Is there a sequence of gphoto2 commands that releases the camera or resets the interface?

I tried using gphoto2 –shell with mixed success.  I tried using it with “manualfocusdrive” with mixed results.  It seemed I could only move the lens in one direction and it seemed to stop taking repeated –set-config manualfocusdrive=x after just a few requests.  I seemed to observe similar behavior with other commands.  It seems that the most reliable way to send a sequence of commands is via the command line at one time.  Can you explain this?

Thank you,

Charles.