Quantcast

Canon 1300D: can only capture one image; second capture fails

Canon 1300D: can only capture one image; second capture fails

Oliver Bendig
Hi,

I'm facing the issue that my new EOS 1300D cannot capture more then one image with gphoto. The camera is detected and the first call to gphoto successfully takes an image. If I request to capture an image again, the camera gets stuck somehow and no shutter noise is done at all. If I push a button on the camera directly, it shows busy on the display. If I switch the camera off and on again, I can take one image again. But only one ;-)

AF is switched off, Sleep mode is deactivated.
ghoto&libgphoto were compiled manually. gphoto2 is the latest 2.5.11, libgphoto is the latest 2.5.12, Ubuntu 12.10; kernel 3.5.0-31
I tested my installation successfully with my 5DMark3 and my 100D. My self written program that directly calls libgphoto.so has the same issue.

I created 3 debug files:

This is the debug from the first capture with the successful image capture:

This is a debug from a second capture where the camera gets stuck somehow for a long time until I send Ctrl+C. No image was taken, no shutter noise
http://bit.ly/2krEtCy

This is a debug from a second capture where the camera seems to run into a timeout. No image was taken, no shutter noise
http://bit.ly/2jZox9J

Thank you very much and kind regards, Oliver

Re: Canon 1300D: can only capture one image; second capture fails

Dr. Volker Jaenisch
Hi Oliver!

Am 01.02.2017 um 21:23 schrieb Oliver Bendig:

> I'm facing the issue that my new EOS 1300D cannot capture more then
> one image with gphoto. The camera is detected and the first call to
> gphoto successfully takes an image. If I request to capture an image
> again, the camera gets stuck somehow and no shutter noise is done at
> all. If I push a button on the camera directly, it shows busy on the
> display. If I switch the camera off and on again, I can take one image
> again. But only one ;-)
I have a similiar issue with a 1200D. 2 out of 10 fotos are not taken
and the camera locks up afters a while completly.

In gphoto2 debug-mode however the camera works better but not allways
reliable. My canon 6D in comparison runs like a charm with the same
lines of code. No droppings no locks.

Utilizing "ptpy" an experimental python implementation of the PTP
Protocol I have debugged a bit. Seems that the canon 1200D does not send
events if a foto was taken. So the software has to antipicate the right
time to load down the image from the camera. And again the 6D sends
absolutly reliable events when a foto was taken.

The problem here is not gphoto2 it is Canon. It seems that Canon has no
interest in following standards (The PTP ISO norm) - at least for cheap
cameras. OK standards may constrict innovation so I understand that
extending a well defined protocol can be a good thing. But if one
extends a protocol then it would be nice if this extension is documented
and published.

The gphoto2 community does a great job to deal with that s**t that comes
out of the Canon cameras.

My current project is to build software for 70 high-End Camera-Webcam
for the Alps. We started with canon but if we find another camera with
better reliability we will trash Canon as soon as possible. Sorry to say
that since I am a Canon photographer for ages.

May be it is time to build Open Hardware/Software Cameras.

Cheers,

Volker

   inqbus Scientific Computing    Dr.  Volker Jaenisch
   Richard-Strauss-Straße 1       +49(08861) 690 474 0
   86956 Schongau-West            http://www.inqbus.de

Re: Canon 1300D: can only capture one image; second capture fails

Oliver Bendig

Hi Volker,

thanks for sharing your findings!

I didn't thought that there will be such a problem with the 1300D. I had the 1100D in my photo booth for years now until the USB connection of the camera was not recognized anymore. My photo booth software that I wrote years ago worked perfectly for thousands of photos with libgphoto and the 1100D.

But okay, if the camera isn't compliant with PTP anymore and breaks with gphoto (and reliability) then I will return the camera and get something else.

Thank you very much,
Olli

Am 01.02.2017 um 23:35 schrieb Oliver Bendig:
> I didn't thought that there will be such a problem with the 1300D. I
> had the 1100D in my photo booth for years now until the USB connection
> of the camera was not recognized anymore. My photo booth software that
> I wrote years ago worked perfectly for thousands of photos with
> libgphoto and the 1100D.
Yep.The 1100D is used by lots of people without problems. Lots of
Foto-Webcam in the Alps run the 1100D.

> But okay, if the camera isn't compliant with PTP anymore and breaks
> with gphoto (and reliability) then I will return the camera and get
> something else.
I am not the authority here, but I assume that even the 1100D was not
complying with PTP.

Please do not throw away the 1300D. It is a lovely camera.

Use it to support the others here in the community to craft better
software.

* Provide some debug logs
* If you like I can give you some instructions with ptpy to debug your
camera from python.

Maybe there is a simple solution to find.

On Wed, Feb 01, 2017 at 11:58:36PM +0100, Dr. Volker Jaenisch wrote:

> Hi Oliver!
>

> Am 01.02.2017 um 23:35 schrieb Oliver Bendig:
> > I didn't thought that there will be such a problem with the 1300D. I
> > had the 1100D in my photo booth for years now until the USB connection
> > of the camera was not recognized anymore. My photo booth software that
> > I wrote years ago worked perfectly for thousands of photos with
> > libgphoto and the 1100D.
> Yep.The 1100D is used by lots of people without problems. Lots of
> Foto-Webcam in the Alps run the 1100D.
> >
> > But okay, if the camera isn't compliant with PTP anymore and breaks
> > with gphoto (and reliability) then I will return the camera and get
> > something else.
> I am not the authority here, but I assume that even the 1100D was not
> complying with PTP.
>
> Please do not throw away the 1300D. It is a lovely camera.
>
> Use it to support the others here in the community to craft better
> software.
>
> * Provide some debug logs
> * If you like I can give you some instructions with ptpy to debug your
> camera from python.
>
> Maybe there is a simple solution to find.

They all talk PTP, but use mostly "vendor extension" commands, which
we do not have documentation or description for.

So we mostly guess how to use them right, or do USB sniffing to
try it out.

What I think might be missing here is a bit of waiting between
the full shutter press and full shutter release.

If you are curious to try something... This basically executes the
shutter commands the capture function does, plus some additional
waiting bettween "Press 2" and "Release 2".

export LANG=C
gphoto2 --wait-event=1s --set-config eosremoterelease="Press 1" --wait-event=1s --set-config eosremoterelease="Press 2" --wait-event=100ms --set-config eosremoterelease="Release 2" --set-config eosremoterelease="Release 1" --wait-event-and-download=5s

Re: Canon 1300D: can only capture one image; second capture fails

Oliver Bendig
Hi Volker,

> Please do not throw away the 1300D. It is a lovely camera.
>
> Use it to support the others here in the community to craft better
> software.
>
> * Provide some debug logs
> * If you like I can give you some instructions with ptpy to debug your
> camera from python.
>
> Maybe there is a simple solution to find.

Yes, that's a good idea. I already collected debug traces and attached
them to my first message. I had a look at them but I'm not deep enough
into gphoto internals to really have an idea what might be the issue or
what to look for.
I can of course collect more as long as I have the camera not returned. I
only need a short advise what would be interesting to collect data from.

Kind regards, Oliver

Re: Canon 1300D: can only capture one image; second capture fails

Oliver Bendig
Hi Marcus, Hi Volker,

> Marcus Meissner <[hidden email]> hat am 2. Februar 2017 um 08:34 geschrieben:
> What I think might be missing here is a bit of waiting between
> the full shutter press and full shutter release.
>
> If you are curious to try something... This basically executes the
> shutter commands the capture function does, plus some additional
> waiting bettween "Press 2" and "Release 2".
>
> export LANG=C
> gphoto2 --wait-event=1s --set-config eosremoterelease="Press 1" --wait-event=1s --set-config eosremoterelease="Press 2" --wait-event=100ms --set-config eosremoterelease="Release 2" --set-config eosremoterelease="Release 1" --wait-event-and-download=5s

I played a little with the timings. The first wait-event has to be larger then 270ms to make the camera release the shutter.

working:
-----------
gphoto2 --wait-event=270ms --set-config eosremoterelease="Press 1" --wait-event=80ms --set-config eosremoterelease="Press 2" --wait-event=80ms --set-config eosremoterelease="Release 2" +--set-config eosremoterelease="Release 1" --wait-event-and-download=5s

not working:
----------------
gphoto2 --wait-event=250ms --set-config eosremoterelease="Press 1" --wait-event=80ms --set-config eosremoterelease="Press 2" --wait-event=80ms --set-config eosremoterelease="Release 2" +--set-config eosremoterelease="Release 1" --wait-event-and-download=5s

The shutter releases with every call. But after saving the file, gphoto get's an error -1:
UNKNOWN PTP Property d11b changed
UNKNOWN Camera Status 1
UNKNOWN PTP Property d11b changed
Saving file as capt0000.jpg
UNKNOWN Camera Status 0
*** Error (-1: 'Unspecified error') ***

The jpg file was successfully written to disk and the file contains the correct image.
The debug trace is here: http://bit.ly/2l0Bima

To test the reliability, I called gphoto in a for loop with 10 iterations. This didn't work reliable with a wait of 270 like in "single step" when called without any sleep between the iteration. I had to increase to 500ms to get the camera release the shutter in every iteration. With a sleep of 1sec after each iteration, I could decrease the wait to 360ms:

successfully captured 10 images:
for i in `echo 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10`; do rm capt0000.jpg; gphoto2 --wait-event=360ms --set-config eosremoterelease="Press 1" --wait-event=80ms --set-config eosremoterelease="Press 2" --wait-event=80ms --set-config eosremoterelease="Release 2" +--set-config eosremoterelease="Release 1" --wait-event-and-download=5s; sleep 1; done

In the for loop, the jpg always contains the first image that was taken in that sequence. I moved the camera in between so that the image should differ. But it was always the first image from that loop.

Best regards, Oliver

Re: Canon 1300D: can only capture one image; second capture fails

Dr. Volker Jaenisch
Hi Oliver!

Do you have your camera in autofocus or manual focus mode?

Volker

   inqbus Scientific Computing    Dr.  Volker Jaenisch
   Richard-Strauss-Straße 1       +49(08861) 690 474 0
   86956 Schongau-West            http://www.inqbus.de

Re: Canon 1300D: can only capture one image; second capture fails

Oliver Bendig
Hi Volker,

the auto focus was set to AI servo so that it doesn't block the shutter to release when no focus is possible. For the lens I think it was manual mode, but I'm not 100% sure (only 99%). I have to prove that. AI servo and manual focus are the settings that I used in my photo booth and that proved to be very reliable with my 1100D before.

Regards, Oliver

On Fri, Feb 03, 2017 at 07:54:08PM +0100, Oliver Bendig wrote:

> Hi Marcus, Hi Volker,
>
> > Marcus Meissner <[hidden email]> hat am 2. Februar 2017 um 08:34
> > geschrieben:
> > What I think might be missing here is a bit of waiting between
> > the full shutter press and full shutter release.
> >
> > If you are curious to try something... This basically executes the
> > shutter commands the capture function does, plus some additional
> > waiting bettween "Press 2" and "Release 2".
> >
> > export LANG=C
> > gphoto2 --wait-event=1s --set-config eosremoterelease="Press 1"
> > --wait-event=1s --set-config eosremoterelease="Press 2" --wait-event=100ms
> > --set-config eosremoterelease="Release 2" --set-config
> > eosremoterelease="Release 1" --wait-event-and-download=5s
>

> I played a little with the timings. The first wait-event has to be larger then
> 270ms to make the camera release the shutter.
>
> working:
> -----------
> gphoto2 --wait-event=270ms --set-config eosremoterelease="Press 1"
> --wait-event=80ms --set-config eosremoterelease="Press 2" --wait-event=80ms
> --set-config eosremoterelease="Release 2" +--set-config
> eosremoterelease="Release 1" --wait-event-and-download=5s
>
> not working:
> ----------------
> gphoto2 --wait-event=250ms --set-config eosremoterelease="Press 1"
> --wait-event=80ms --set-config eosremoterelease="Press 2" --wait-event=80ms
> --set-config eosremoterelease="Release 2" +--set-config
> eosremoterelease="Release 1" --wait-event-and-download=5s
>
> The shutter releases with every call. But after saving the file, gphoto get's an
> error -1:
> UNKNOWN PTP Property d11b changed
> UNKNOWN Camera Status 1
> UNKNOWN PTP Property d11b changed
> Saving file as capt0000.jpg
> UNKNOWN Camera Status 0
> *** Error (-1: 'Unspecified error') ***

You have a typo in the commandline ... "+--set-config" should be "--set-config"

> The jpg file was successfully written to disk and the file contains the correct
> image.
> The debug trace is here: http://bit.ly/2l0Bima
>
> To test the reliability, I called gphoto in a for loop with 10 iterations. This
> didn't work reliable with a wait of 270 like in "single step" when called
> without any sleep between the iteration. I had to increase to 500ms to get the
> camera release the shutter in every iteration. With a sleep of 1sec after each
> iteration, I could decrease the wait to 360ms:
>
> successfully captured 10 images:
> for i in `echo 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10`; do rm capt0000.jpg; gphoto2
> --wait-event=360ms --set-config eosremoterelease="Press 1" --wait-event=80ms
> --set-config eosremoterelease="Press 2" --wait-event=80ms --set-config
> eosremoterelease="Release 2" +--set-config eosremoterelease="Release 1"
> --wait-event-and-download=5s; sleep 1; done
>
> In the for loop, the jpg always contains the first image that was taken in that
> sequence. I moved the camera in between so that the image should differ. But it
> was always the first image from that loop.

I am also wondering if you can decrease or increase the wait after after the "Press 2",
which is the time we hold down the virtual shutter button.

I see you reduced it from 100ms to 80ms already.

(The gphoto capture code currently does not have a wait there, which is probably
the core issue.)

Re: Canon 1300D: can only capture one image; second capture fails

Oliver Bendig

> Marcus Meissner <[hidden email]> hat am 6. Februar 2017 um 08:36 geschrieben:
>
> > The shutter releases with every call. But after saving the file, gphoto get's an
> > error -1:
> > UNKNOWN PTP Property d11b changed
> > UNKNOWN Camera Status 1
> > UNKNOWN PTP Property d11b changed
> > Saving file as capt0000.jpg
> > UNKNOWN Camera Status 0
> > *** Error (-1: 'Unspecified error') ***
>
> You have a typo in the commandline ... "+--set-config" should be "--set-config"

You're absolutely right. That fixed the issue. I saw the plus but thought it was intentional. It was obviously generated by my mail client.

> I am also wondering if you can decrease or increase the wait after after the "Press 2",
> which is the time we hold down the virtual shutter button.
>
> I see you reduced it from 100ms to 80ms already.
>
> (The gphoto capture code currently does not have a wait there, which is probably
> the core issue.)

From my tests only the first wait seems the has an impact. I reduced both waits after Press 1 and 2 to 0 and iterated ten times without problem.

for i in `seq 9`; do rm capt0000.jpg; gphoto2 --wait-event=270ms --set-config eosremoterelease="Press 1" --wait-event=0ms --set-config eosremoterelease="Press 2" --wait-event=0ms --set-config eosremoterelease="Release 2" --set-config eosremoterelease="Release 1" --wait-event-and-download=2s; done

> > In the for loop, the jpg always contains the first image that was taken in that
> > sequence. I moved the camera in between so that the image should differ. But it
> > was always the first image from that loop.

The problem that always the same photo is written to disk still occurs. It occurs even if I execute two single capture statements manually. I have to wait some seconds between both calls and then the correct images were written to disk.

Regards, Oliver

Re: Canon 1300D: can only capture one image; second capture fails

Marcus Meissner
On Mon, Feb 06, 2017 at 08:06:18PM +0100, Oliver Bendig wrote:

> > Marcus Meissner <[hidden email]> hat am 6. Februar 2017 um 08:36
> > geschrieben:
> >
> > > The shutter releases with every call. But after saving the file, gphoto
> > > get's an
> > > error -1:
> > > UNKNOWN PTP Property d11b changed
> > > UNKNOWN Camera Status 1
> > > UNKNOWN PTP Property d11b changed
> > > Saving file as capt0000.jpg
> > > UNKNOWN Camera Status 0
> > > *** Error (-1: 'Unspecified error') ***
> >
> > You have a typo in the commandline ... "+--set-config" should be
> > "--set-config"
>
> You're absolutely right. That fixed the issue. I saw the plus but thought it was
> intentional. It was obviously generated by my mail client.
>
> > I am also wondering if you can decrease or increase the wait after after the
> > "Press 2",
> > which is the time we hold down the virtual shutter button.
> >
> > I see you reduced it from 100ms to 80ms already.
> >
> > (The gphoto capture code currently does not have a wait there, which is
> > probably
> > the core issue.)
>
> >From my tests only the first wait seems the has an impact. I reduced both waits
> after Press 1 and 2 to 0 and iterated ten times without problem.
>
> for i in `seq 9`; do rm capt0000.jpg; gphoto2 --wait-event=270ms --set-config
> eosremoterelease="Press 1" --wait-event=0ms --set-config eosremoterelease="Press
> 2" --wait-event=0ms --set-config eosremoterelease="Release 2" --set-config
> eosremoterelease="Release 1" --wait-event-and-download=2s; done
>
> > > In the for loop, the jpg always contains the first image that was taken in
> > > that
> > > sequence. I moved the camera in between so that the image should differ. But
> > > it
> > > was always the first image from that loop.
>
> The problem that always the same photo is written to disk still occurs. It
> occurs even if I execute two single capture statements manually. I have to wait
> some seconds between both calls and then the correct images were written to
> disk.

Took some time to find some time to look into it.

For the initial startup issue .... I spotted a small pattern which we could
use for waiting. The 0xd11b property (Available images) is send twice
with a value, but we can only start after it is send for the second time.

Have to think how to implement this correctly.

The second problem where it always return the same image. This is new.
Can you capture debuginfo for two consecutive captures that show this problem?

Re: Canon 1300D: can only capture one image; second capture fails

Oliver Bendig

> Marcus Meissner <[hidden email]> hat am 11. Februar 2017 um 22:04 geschrieben:
>
> Took some time to find some time to look into it.
>
> For the initial startup issue .... I spotted a small pattern which we could
> use for waiting. The 0xd11b property (Available images) is send twice
> with a value, but we can only start after it is send for the second time.
>
> Have to think how to implement this correctly.

I played around with the camera and gphoto to reproduce my same-image-problem. I got irritated by the LANG=C environment variable. I missed it to be set and when I started to play with the camera, I wondered why there was not any capture at all - even with the gphoto2 calls that proved to be working before. After I read your mail again, realized that I missed to set LANG=C and set it accordingly, everything worked again as before with the same timings as before. Now I can tell: if LANG=de_DE.UTF-8, no capture is possible at all. But you probably knew that before. ;-)

> The second problem where it always return the same image. This is new.
> Can you capture debuginfo for two consecutive captures that show this problem?

Hmm, it seems that this was my fault somehow. Luckily, it is not reproducible anymore. Maybe I had an issue with my loop and the way it copied the images.
I rewrote my test script for taking many images in a loop and now it worked correctly all the times. I can't explain anymore...

Thank you very much for all you patience with this issue!
Best regards, Oliver

Re: Canon 1300D: can only capture one image; second capture fails

Marcus Meissner-4
On Sun, Feb 12, 2017 at 03:22:10AM +0100, Oliver Bendig wrote:

> > Marcus Meissner <[hidden email]> hat am 11. Februar 2017 um 22:04
> > geschrieben:
> >
> > Took some time to find some time to look into it.
> >
> > For the initial startup issue .... I spotted a small pattern which we could
> > use for waiting. The 0xd11b property (Available images) is send twice
> > with a value, but we can only start after it is send for the second time.
> >
> > Have to think how to implement this correctly.
>
> I played around with the camera and gphoto to reproduce my same-image-problem. I
> got irritated by the LANG=C environment variable. I missed it to be set and when
> I started to play with the camera, I wondered why there was not any capture at
> all - even with the gphoto2 calls that proved to be working before. After I read
> your mail again, realized that I missed to set LANG=C and set it accordingly,
> everything worked again as before with the same timings as before. Now I can
> tell: if LANG=de_DE.UTF-8, no capture is possible at all. But you probably knew
> that before. ;-)

The configuration values are translated, thats why its needed to switch to english :)

As short cut, gphoto2 --wait-event=300ms --capture-image-and-download  just might work
too (as we just need the initial wait).

> > The second problem where it always return the same image. This is new.
> > Can you capture debuginfo for two consecutive captures that show this problem?
>
> Hmm, it seems that this was my fault somehow. Luckily, it is not reproducible
> anymore. Maybe I had an issue with my loop and the way it copied the images.
> I rewrote my test script for taking many images in a loop and now it worked
> correctly all the times. I can't explain anymore...
>
> Thank you very much for all you patience with this issue!
> Best regards, Oliver

Ok, good to hear :)

Re: Canon 1300D: can only capture one image; second capture fails

Oliver Bendig

> Marcus Meissner <[hidden email]> hat am 12. Februar 2017 um 22:23 geschrieben:
>
> As short cut, gphoto2 --wait-event=300ms --capture-image-and-download just might work
> too (as we just need the initial wait).

Yes, that works reliable. As expected, the 300ms is the time to wait. My test with 200ms failed for the second iteration.

CIao, Oliver