Any reason NOT to use camlib ptp2 (if it works OK)

Any reason NOT to use camlib ptp2 (if it works OK)

Lacy
Given that `ptp2` works OK for a newer Canon DSLR, is there any advantage to try and force libgphoto to use the `canon` camlib (canon.la) instead of just `ptp2`?

I wonder if the official closed-source EDSDK is doing some more "specialized" commands (and so faster?) as opposed to just talking PTP.

Re: Any reason NOT to use camlib ptp2 (if it works OK)

On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 01:03:53PM -0700, Lacy wrote:
> Given that `ptp2` works OK for a newer Canon DSLR, is there any advantage to
> try and force libgphoto to use the `canon` camlib (canon.la) instead of just
> `ptp2`?

No.

> I wonder if the official closed-source EDSDK is doing some more
> "specialized" commands (and so faster?) as opposed to just talking PTP.

No.

The "canon" driver is only used for "old" EOS and Powershots. "old" meaning
up to EOS 350D and EOS 20D timewise.

All newer Canon EOS cameras starting around 2006 are served by the PTP2 driver
only. (The EDSDK is also speaking PTP2 for them.)