Announcement: libgphoto2 and gphoto2 2.5.10 released!

Announcement: libgphoto2 and gphoto2 2.5.10 released!

Marcus Meissner-4
Hi folks!

I have just released libgphoto2 and gphoto2 2.5.10.

Main points: a new additional configuration API in libgphoto2 allowing
faster single variable access, and lots of bugfixes and stability improvements.

Thanks again to all of our contributors, patch submitters, bug reporters,
translators and others :)

Ciao, Marcus

gphoto2 2.5.10 release

* use new single configuration set/get if possible
* updated translations: serbian, russian, hungarian, vietnamese, ukrainian, polish, swedish, brazilian portuguese
* require libgphoto2 2.5.10 or newer

libgphoto2 2.5.10 release

libgphoto2:
* added gp_camera_list_config, gp_camera_get_single_config, gp_camera_set_single_config
  additional configuration APIs for faster access to single configuration values.

ptp2:
* allow generic opcode commands with parameters, config variable "opcode"
* fixed pretending that Nikon Coolpix S series is a Nikon 1 S.
* Nikon: fixed problem with SDRAM capture
* Canon EOS: handle "no focus" during capture
* Canon EOS: handle --new correctly
* Canon Powershot: handle lack of object protection setting
* Ricoh Theta: support shutterspeed configuration
* added size checking to PTP unpacking primitives
* various bugfixes
* New ids:
  * Imported Media Players and Android phones from libmtp
  * Sony Alpha A7S II, ILCE 7M2
  * Kodak Z990
  * Nikon Coolpix L840, S3600
  * Leica SL
  * Olympus TG-620, E-M5 Mark 2
  * Canon EOS 1D C, 750D
  * Canon IXUS 160
  * Fuji Film X-T1, X-T10, A-610

pentax:
* fixed some crashes on non-existing config variables
* use portable directory api (helps Visual Studio)

libgphoto2_port/vusb:
* Implemented a virtual PTP camera for test purposes.

libgphoto2_port/disk:
* Support exfat fuse filesystems.

all:
* fixed various issues found by Coverity static analyzer
* removed unistd.h headers where not needed to help Visual Studio

translations:
* updated swedish, brazilian portuguese, danish, polish, ukrainian, vietnamese

Re: Announcement: libgphoto2 and gphoto2 2.5.10 released!

Gong
Hi Marcus,

Just checked gphoto2 website, found this brand new version, and canon IXUS 160 is included, fantastic! Thanks a lot for your work!

I updated both gphoto2 and libgphoto2 to the newest version, and run "gphoto2 --auto-detect", I get: "Canon IXUS 160                 usb:001,007"  Brilliant!

Also tried: "gphoto2 --list-files", all the files listed, perfect!

Then "gphoto2 --capture-image-and-download"

*** Error ***
Sorry, your camera does not support generic capture
ERROR: Could not capture image.
ERROR: Could not capture.
*** Error (-6: 'Unsupported operation') ***

Still this error... Tried both on Ubuntu 14.04 and Raspbian Jessie, same results. Anything may help to target the problem?

All the best,
Elaine

Re: Announcement: libgphoto2 and gphoto2 2.5.10 released!

Hubert Figuière-2
On 29/03/16 01:09 PM, Gong wrote:

> Hi Marcus,
>
> Just checked gphoto2 website, found this brand new version, and canon IXUS
> 160 is included, fantastic! Thanks a lot for your work!
>
> I updated both gphoto2 and libgphoto2 to the newest version, and run
> "gphoto2 --auto-detect", I get: "Canon IXUS 160
> usb:001,007"  Brilliant!
>
> Also tried: "gphoto2 --list-files", all the files listed, perfect!
>
> Then "gphoto2 --capture-image-and-download"
>
> *** Error ***
> Sorry, your camera does not support generic capture
> ERROR: Could not capture image.
> ERROR: Could not capture.
> *** Error (-6: 'Unsupported operation') ***
>
> Still this error... Tried both on Ubuntu 14.04 and Raspbian Jessie, same
> results. Anything may help to target the problem?

The camera doesn't support capture using the generic standard PTP
capture cpmmand.
And chances that it work differently are slim as it seems that Canon
deliberately leave the feature out to up sell more expensive cameras.

There should be no problem to download images though, hence the
"supported" part.

Hub

Re: Announcement: libgphoto2 and gphoto2 2.5.10 released!

Gong
Hi Hub,

Thanks for reply!

I found it very strange though, since one of my computer with Ubuntu 14.04 kernel version 3.16.0-55-generic works fine with gphoto2 capture, while the other systems with kernel 4+ generic don't, wondering if it's an issue with USB control? And using ptpcam --chdk="lua shoot()", I'm able to capture in all those systems. I kept trying to find a solution with gphoto2 mainly because gphoto2 with python wrapper is pretty handy.

All the best,
Elaine

The camera doesn't support capture using the generic standard PTP
capture cpmmand.
And chances that it work differently are slim as it seems that Canon
deliberately leave the feature out to up sell more expensive cameras.

There should be no problem to download images though, hence the
"supported" part.

Hub

Re: Announcement: libgphoto2 and gphoto2 2.5.10 released!

Marcus Meissner
On Wed, Mar 30, 2016 at 11:58:54AM +0100, Gong wrote:

> Hi Hub,
>
> Thanks for reply!
>
> I found it very strange though, since one of my computer with Ubuntu 14.04
> kernel version 3.16.0-55-generic works fine with gphoto2 capture, while the
> other systems with kernel 4+ generic don't, wondering if it's an issue with
> USB control? And using ptpcam --chdk="lua shoot()", I'm able to capture in
> all those systems. I kept trying to find a solution with gphoto2 mainly
> because gphoto2 with python wrapper is pretty handy.

Ahhhhh! Now it makes sense that it did work before, you have installed CHDK.

To use CHDK capture, run once:
        gphoto2 --set-config chdk=on

to disable it again:
        gphoto2 --set-config chdk=off

(This setting is stored on the computer in ~/.gphoto/settings, not on the camera.)

Re: Announcement: libgphoto2 and gphoto2 2.5.10 released!

Gong
Hi Marcus,

Thanks for reply! That saved me! Completely didn't realize it's for computer setting! Now gphoto2 works with Canon IXUS 160 perfectly!

All the best,
Elaine

On 30/03/16 07:06 AM, Marcus Meissner wrote:
> Ahhhhh! Now it makes sense that it did work before, you have installed CHDK.
>
> To use CHDK capture, run once:
> gphoto2 --set-config chdk=on
>
> to disable it again:
> gphoto2 --set-config chdk=off

Just out of curiosity: couldn't this be done automatically?

Hub

On Wed, Mar 30, 2016 at 06:35:12PM -0400, Hubert Figuière wrote:

> On 30/03/16 07:06 AM, Marcus Meissner wrote:
> > Ahhhhh! Now it makes sense that it did work before, you have installed CHDK.
> >
> > To use CHDK capture, run once:
> > gphoto2 --set-config chdk=on
> >
> > to disable it again:
> > gphoto2 --set-config chdk=off
>
> Just out of curiosity: couldn't this be done automatically?

I have to replace the file/folder list functions too (as the original PTP ones
interact badly with the CHDK code for some reason).

As this needs to be done quite early, and the PTP style functionality is "better"
(aka not driven by lua scripts;), I so far kept it not auto-detecting.

Could be improved though.