A camera model where zoom and autofocus work?

A camera model where zoom and autofocus work?

Bertil Blomskøld

I want to buy a new camera to be used with GPhoto, where autofocus and zoom works. Any proposals?

I have tried to understand your specification about what options works or not, but regarded zoom it is not clear to me.

I have been using a RaspberryPi and GPhoto for a Canon EOS 30D for about ¾ of a year, taking pictures every 4th minute then sending them to a web server. The camera was installed in a box outside my house, with outdoors temperatures from -25 to +30 Celsius. The camera then stopped working due to a hw error. I want to buy a new camera, where autofocus and zoom works (these two options did not work with 30D).

(I have bought a Canon EOS 1200D, but zoom does not work (for me at least), and it is not a reliable as the old one. As an average 1 out of 10 pictures gets an error, with the old one this never happened.)

Re: A camera model where zoom and autofocus work?

Marcus Meissner-4
On Mon, Jan 05, 2015 at 08:33:11AM +0100, Bertil Blomskøld wrote:

> I want to buy a new camera to be used with GPhoto, where autofocus and zoom
> works. Any proposals?
>
> I have tried to understand your specification about what options works or
> not, but regarded zoom it is not clear to me.
>
> I have been using a RaspberryPi and GPhoto for a Canon EOS 30D for about ¾
> of a year, taking pictures every 4th minute then sending them to a web
> server. The camera was installed in a box outside my house, with outdoors
> temperatures from -25 to +30 Celsius. The camera then stopped working due to
> a hw error. I want to buy a new camera, where autofocus and zoom works
> (these two options did not work with 30D).
>
> (I have bought a Canon EOS 1200D, but zoom does not work (for me at least),
> and it is not a reliable as the old one. As an average 1 out of 10 pictures
> gets an error, with the old one this never happened.)

What do you mean with "zoom" here? Different focal lengths?

The lens can not rotate by itself though, you need to do that manually on
DSLRs or with another device.

digitalzoom for preview images would be possible.

The EOS 1200D is less stable currently, there seems a bug which makes it
think its out of memory occasionaly. So far not fixed.

Re: A camera model where zoom and autofocus work?

Rogier Wolff
On Tue, Jan 06, 2015 at 09:31:50PM +0100, Marcus Meissner wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 05, 2015 at 08:33:11AM +0100, Bertil Blomskøld wrote:
> > I want to buy a new camera to be used with GPhoto, where autofocus and zoom
> > works. Any proposals?

> What do you mean with "zoom" here? Different focal lengths?

As Marcus says: most cameras cannot change the focal lenght of the lens.

However the Nikon coolpix 5600 can!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0007KQWDW/ref=dp_olp_all_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=all

(The good news is that the shutter of a consumer-Nikon-DSLR is about
50k, while this one is rated for 300k. IIRC).

Whether there are modern cameras that can do this, I don't know.

        Roger.

--
** [hidden email] ** http://www.BitWizard.nl/ ** +31-15-2600998 **
**    Delftechpark 26 2628 XH  Delft, The Netherlands. KVK: 27239233    **