20 sony nex3 hacked / gphoto compatibility

20 sony nex3 hacked / gphoto compatibility

zzzanzzzibar
Dear community,

Have 20 sony nex3 camera which have been physically hacked to be synch together.
the bullet time system work well (exemples http://lightisnotflat.tumblr.com/)

the problem is that I take the photography on the sd cards and cameras are not linked to computer...
I let you imagine how time consuming is the "after shoot" and the difficulty for the creation by seeing the moving result hours after (if it not days ...)

I discover gphoto few days ago and I have some questions. (I am a newbie, had even to install xcode on my mac ...)- Maybe someone here can help me.

the Nex3 is an old cam and cannot be triggered by gphoto but when I ask for a "--summary", it is look like possible to upload and download files ...

Camera summary:
Manufacturer: Sony Corporation
Model: Sony Digital Still Camera
  Version: (null)

Capture Formats:
Display Formats: Script, JPEG

Device Capabilities:
        File Download, No File Deletion, File Upload
        No Image Capture, No Open Capture, No vendor specific capture

... which give me hope to automatize my files importation, and minimise the time between the shoot and the result.

I really don't know where to go after this step
 someone here to help me to make this bullet time system easier to use ?

with my best lights

hacked nex3

my-logfile.txt

Re: 20 sony nex3 hacked / gphoto compatibility

Marcus Meissner-4
On Mon, Mar 06, 2017 at 02:10:27PM -0700, zzzanzzzibar wrote:

> Dear community,
>
> Have 20 sony nex3 camera which have been physically hacked to be synch
> together.
> the bullet time system work well (exemples
> http://lightisnotflat.tumblr.com/)
>
> the problem is that I take the photography on the sd cards and cameras are
> not linked to computer...
> I let you imagine how time consuming is the "after shoot" and the difficulty
> for the creation by seeing the moving result hours after (if it not days
> ...)
>
> I discover gphoto few days ago and I have some questions. (I am a newbie,
> had even to install xcode on my mac ...)- Maybe someone here can help me.
>
> the Nex3 is an old cam and cannot be triggered by gphoto but when I ask for
> a "--summary", it is look like possible to upload and download files ...
>
> /Camera summary:
> Manufacturer: Sony Corporation
> Model: Sony Digital Still Camera
>   Version: (null)
>
> Capture Formats:
> Display Formats: Script, JPEG
>
> Device Capabilities:
> File Download, No File Deletion, File Upload
> No Image Capture, No Open Capture, No vendor specific capture/
>
> ... which give me hope to automatize my files importation, and minimise the
> time between the shoot and the result.
>
> I really don't know where to go after this step
>  someone here to help me to make this bullet time system easier to use ?

I am not sure what you need.

"gphoto2 -P" will download all files from the camera.

But this is probably most of it can do.

Re: 20 sony nex3 hacked / gphoto compatibility

zzzanzzzibar
Thank you Markus for your quick answer.

newbie as I told, I now can download files... (my camera setting was in only raw !>did not download)
but it work only with one camera at the moment.

when I connect 2 Nex (even on a hub or on 2 different usb port) they seems to be reconize
but the download is only effective from one camera.

MBP:~ guilhem$ killall PTPCamera
MBP:~ guilhem$ gphoto2 --auto-detect
Model                          Port
USB PTP Class Camera           usb:020,013
USB PTP Class Camera           usb:020,012

MBP:~ guilhem$ gphoto2 -P
Saving file as DSC00001.JPG

you notice that I have to use a killall PTPCamera (work on a mac, not easy with the USB permission)

to take the pictures, I have to physically disconnect the USB  (otherwise camera does not respond to the trigger).
Is there a way to do it with gphoto (release the usb connection for shooting with physical trigger - and connecting it back to download the new files).
If not, can gphoto reconize between each USB unplug each camera to make the download in the same specified folder.

I want to understand if what I need can be done with thoses nex camera I have.
(download the files directly to the computer, allowing me to make another shoot, etc..).
making some test with 2 or 3 cams to be sure that it works

I am not sure I will be able to write the full code alone ... (efficient for up to 20 cam)
if faisable, and could look simple for an advancer user, I think about paying for this job to be sure it is well done.
Is there some people there for a request like that ?

my request may have similarity with those topic but I did not find my specific answer
http://gphoto-software.10949.n7.nabble.com/Multithreaded-download-td9010.html
http://gphoto-software.10949.n7.nabble.com/How-to-retrieve-a-Camera-given-it-s-port-td6166.html

with my best light

Re: 20 sony nex3 hacked / gphoto compatibility

You can specify selected cameras by specifying by "--port usb:020,013"
on the commandline to selct the camera.

So run gphoto2 --auto-detect, take the ports and run seperate gphoto2
commands via a script.

Ciao, Marcus
On Tue, Mar 07, 2017 at 04:54:05AM -0700, zzzanzzzibar wrote:

> Thank you Markus for your quick answer.
>
> newbie as I told, I now can download files... (my camera setting was in only
> raw !>did not download)
> but it work only with one camera at the moment.
>
> when I connect 2 Nex (even on a hub or on 2 different usb port) they seems
> to be reconize
> but the download is only effective from one camera.
>
> /
> MBP:~ guilhem$ killall PTPCamera
> MBP:~ guilhem$ gphoto2 --auto-detect
> Model                          Port
> USB PTP Class Camera           usb:020,013
> USB PTP Class Camera           usb:020,012
>
> MBP:~ guilhem$ gphoto2 -P
> Saving file as DSC00001.JPG  /
>
> you notice that I have to use a /killall PTPCamera/ (work on a mac, not easy
> with the USB permission)
>
> to take the pictures, I have to physically disconnect the USB  (otherwise
> camera does not respond to the trigger).
> Is there a way to do it with gphoto (release the usb connection for shooting
> with physical trigger - and connecting it back to download the new files).
> If not, can gphoto reconize between each USB unplug each camera to make the
> download in the same specified folder.
>
> I want to understand if what I need can be done with thoses nex camera I
> have.
> (download the files directly to the computer, allowing me to make another
> shoot, etc..).
> making some test with 2 or 3 cams to be sure that it works
>
> I am not sure I will be able to write the full code alone ... (efficient for
> up to 20 cam)
> if faisable, and could look simple for an advancer user, I think about
> paying for this job to be sure it is well done.
> Is there some people there for a request like that ?
>
> my request may have similarity with those topic but I did not find my
> specific answer
> http://gphoto-software.10949.n7.nabble.com/Multithreaded-download-td9010.html
> http://gphoto-software.10949.n7.nabble.com/How-to-retrieve-a-Camera-given-it-s-port-td6166.html
>
> with my best light

Marcus Meissner,SUSE LINUX GmbH; Maxfeldstrasse 5; D-90409 Nuernberg; Zi. 3.1-33,+49-911-740 53-432,,serv=loki,mail=wotan,type=real <[hidden email]>

Re: 20 sony nex3 hacked / gphoto compatibility

zzzanzzzibar
Thank you Markus for your help to introduce me in gphoto2
so yes, by specifying the "--port usb", I now can download the pictures of each camera.

As I have to physically unplug the USB to trigger the cameras, the problem is the port number change everytime.
my cameras have the same Model name, is there a way to "write" something on the camera/or the sd card to make possible the recognition even when after unpluging the camera?
was thinking at the serial number but the --list-all-config give me:
/main/actions/opcode
Label: PTP Opcode
Type: TEXT
Current: 0x1001,0xparam1,0xparam2
/main/status/serialnumber
Label: Serial Number
Type: TEXT
Current: None

I like and used to find answers by myself, but I am a bit lost in this field of competencies ...
maybe a "--set-config" or the "--folder=" but what can be the command to set a name to the camera ?
another idea ?